JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Well even still I edited my previous post. I swear I have read and heard many times that .300blk was DESIGNED to function and perform optimally in short barrels such as pistols. But when I'm wrong, I'm the first to admit it. Luckily it happens very rarely. :D :D
Your not entirely incorrect. The subsonic oriented rounds were designed to be used in shorter barrel platforms. It was originally called 300 whisper. The origins were heavily catered to suppressor use on short barrels at subsonic speeds.

As for the OP, it's a toss really in my opinion. I have struggled wanting to get back into 300 black as I now own many quiet thingies that I didn't when I originally owned a 300 black. I think it is a great cartridge for subsonic use and more importantly suppressor hosting. That's ALL I would use it for. If you would only use it for supersonic stuff, go with something else that is less expensive to feed like a 7.62x39. So if it is just about the opportunity to get a nice gun chambered in it, I'd probably pass, unless you have a can for it standing by then go for it!

It is all subjective.. What works for me may not work for you. The main question being what is your intended purpose. I worry about over penetration in most Rifle calibers even some handguns like .40 S&W. Unless they are wearing body armor I'm not using my 223/556. You also need to take into account how loud it is going to be. Unless you have the luxury of have a suppressor. I run a Draco Nak9 with Sig V Crown for home defense. Pistol caliber carbines are the way to go in my opinion but to each their own. A lot of people think a shotgun is still the best home defense weapon. if they have trained enough with it I have no place to criticize their choice any gun is better than no gun.

It is all subjective.. What works for me may not work for you. The main question being what is your intended purpose. I worry about over penetration in most Rifle calibers even some handguns like .40 S&W. Unless they are wearing body armor I'm not using my 223/556. You also need to take into account how loud it is going to be. Unless you have the luxury of have a suppressor. I run a Draco Nak9 with Sig V Crown for home defense. Pistol caliber carbines are the way to go in my opinion but to each their own. A lot of people think a shotgun is still the best home defense weapon. if they have trained enough with it I have no place to criticize their choice any gun is better than no gun.
Home defense mainly, I might take the plunge and suppress it.

I think a shotgun takes more training than a pistol or intermediate caliber rifle. Managing recoil for a follow up shot is a big deal with a shotgun.

Well looking at the chart I would think that of the choice that I have it would be better to go with the 9" for home defense instead of the 12.5"

Maybe 9" is "optimal" instead of "designed for". Ive seen it stated both ways.

What do I know? I have a .300blk AR with a 16" barrel. :D
Me too and mines carbine length gas....
GASP....

Home defense mainly, I might take the plunge and suppress it.
Well looking at the chart I would think that of the choice that I have it would be better to go with the 9" for home defense instead of the 12.5"
Go as short as you can. A good can capable of Hollywood quiet 300 blk will add at least 6" back onto it.

I parted out the other upper I had, seems to be easier to sell stuff that way. Everyone wants to mix it up and mod it themselves, which is fine of course.
I am going to be putting a brand new BCM upper up for sale soon, I can only imagine how long it will take to sell.... patience grasshopper... :p

Another thing you want to keep in mind when looking at 300 black is twist rate. Most manufacturers just stick with 1/7. Go under 8" you should at least have the 1/7. Go really short, 1/5. Ive seen baffle strikes and end cap strikes on 7.5" 1/7 twist 300 blacks using silly slow heavy pilled ammo. Just not going fast enough to spin fast enough to stay stable for the 5-8" it needs to travel to get out of the suppressor.

Specs of the one I am looking at:

• Caliber: 300 Blackout
  • Barrel Length: 9"
  • Barrel Material: 11595E Spec Steel
  • Barrel Finish: Manganese Phosphate (Mil-Spec A-A-59267)
  • Bore & Chamber: Chrome Lined
  • Weight: 2.2 lbs
  • Twist Rate: 1:7
  • Gas System: Pistol
  • Muzzle Device: Comp (762/300BLK)
  • Muzzle Threads: 5/8x24

Curious, what length do the Leo's carry in their vehicles nowadays? I know they're using an AR variant, I'm just curious to the types and lengths that are being used as opposed to the traditional guns that were used in the past. I know sub guns primarily are swat and other units and shotguns were wayback when but…

Old Setup

IMG_8230.jpg

Got rid of it for the same reason as one member pointed out, availability of ammo and price.

Curious, what length do the Leo's carry in their vehicles nowadays? I know they're using an AR variant, I'm just curious to the types and lengths that are being used as opposed to the traditional guns that were used in the past. I know sub guns primarily are swat and other units and shotguns were wayback when but…
You're thinking about it too much. A 9 inch .300 blk out upper will serve as a handy AR pistol. You could get a suppressor eventually, or you could run it without.

Personally, I've been looking at 110gr .300 Blk out for a while. Seems worthwhile, but I haven't done more than look at that loading so far.

So what are we even discussing then? You already have a kick azz gun. :)
300Blk > 9mm

MP5 is cool and all, but the 300Blk has much better ballistics.

The MP5 is crazy fast on multiple targets. Reloads will be faster on the AR and you can put a really nice trigger on it. Different worlds really. Both are pretty darn nice. It's OK to have more than one awesome gun, of course. :)

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top