JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have heard lots of good things about these type of pistols and some bad. Anywhere to reliability to upcoming possible legal constraints, I have a chance to get a real nice one but I am on the fence as to whether I should. I already have a PDW set up for home defense (9mm) but I thought it would be better to have something with a little more ooomph.

What are your thoughts guys?

Thanks

I used to keep one under my bed. Great HD setup with SD ammo. It cycled everything but subs reliably but I already knew that before I built it. Only thing that has pushed me away from .300blk is ammo price and availability.

I have heard lots of good things about these type of pistols and some bad. Anywhere to reliability to upcoming possible legal constraints, I have a chance to get a real nice one but I am on the fence as to whether I should. I already have a PDW set up for home defense (9mm) but I thought it would be better to have something with a little more ooomph.

What are your thoughts guys?

Thanks
I have had a couple of them and really like them. It will have more recoil than a 5.56, be about as loud and have a little less flash. With a suppressor on it and subsonic ammo, it's very quiet, pleasant to shoot and still hits way harder than 9mm. With full power loads you may want to put a linear compensator on it. 9" is about as short as I would go with 300BLK. 11 - 12 is better and 14 is what the round was designed for.

I suppose if you can find the ammo. I don't get the 300BLK route for suppressed home defense. Isn't the weight and velocity of a subsonic 300BLK round about the same as a 45acp? Why not just go for the more commonly found round?

I suppose if you can find the ammo. I don't get the 300BLK route for suppressed home defense. Isn't the weight and velocity of a subsonic 300BLK round about the same as a 45acp? Why not just go for the more commonly found round?
Versatility. You can also load it with full power rounds that reach out effectively to 200 yards or more. And 30 round mags for it are common. And it looks cool. :D

I have had a couple of them and really like them. It will have more recoil than a 5.56, be about as loud and have a little less flash. With a suppressor on it and subsonic ammo, it's very quiet, pleasant to shoot and still hits way harder than 9mm. With full power loads you may want to put a linear compensator on it. 9" is about as short as I would go with 300BLK. 11 - 12 is better and 14 is what the round was designed for.
Reeeeely ?? There is one 12.5 available as well. would you suggest that one instead of the 9?

My experience has been 8" works just fine. And the .300blk achieves complete burn at 9" and was designed for such length barrel.

Edited, my info may be wrong. :)

Last Edited:
My experience has been 8" works just fine. And the .300blk achieves complete burn at 9" and was designed for such length barrel.

Sorry, but it was not designed for 14" as previously posted above.
They designed it for a 14" barrel. They also designed it to be equal to or more powerful than a 7.62X39 from a 9" barrel. It may also be true that one or more of their loads burns all the powder in 9", but my earlier statement stands.

1. A 300 Blackout bullet fired from a 10.5-inch barrel has almost the same muzzle energy as a 5.56 bullet fired from a 16-inch barrel.
  2. A 300 Blackout bullet fired from a 7-inch barrel (like you'd find on the Q Honey Badger) has almost the same muzzle energy as a 5.56 bullet fired from a 10.5-inch barrel.
  3. A 300 Blackout bullet fired from a 14.5-inch barrel has almost the same muzzle energy as a 5.56 bullet fired from a 20-inch barrel.

1626744250665.png

Does it use a different BCG then a .556 or is the barrel the only difference?
It's literally a necked out 5.56 case, also shortened a little, so it does use the same BCG. I've successfully swapped them. I built one with a carbine buffer and spring. Some folks recommend an H1 buffer. I think my 14" had a carbine buffer too.

It's literally a necked out 5.56 case, also shortened a little, so it does use the same BCG. I've successfully swapped them. I built one with a carbine buffer and spring. Some folks recommend an H1 buffer. I think my 14" had a carbine buffer too.
I have a new H1 buffer ready to go, I built a hybrid BCM/DD 10.3 .556 then decided to go with 300 BLK instead, still trying to unload the barrel. Its hard to sell those things (barrels) here, even if they are brand new...

I have a new H1 buffer ready to go, I built a hybrid BCM/DD 10.3 .556 then decided to go with 300 BLK instead, still trying to unload the barrel. Its hard to sell those things (barrels) here, even if they are brand new...
I would try the H1. If it cycles everything you shoot and doesn't short stroke or hammer the buffer (unlikely), should be fine. There was a discussion here somewhere on how to tune the AR system. I don't remember the title.

Maybe 9" is "optimal" instead of "designed for". Ive seen it stated both ways.

What do I know? I have a .300blk AR with a 16" barrel. :D

Maybe 9" is "optimal" instead of "designed for". Ive seen it stated both ways.

What do I know? I have a .300blk AR with a 16" barrel. :D
You input is still very much appreciated... made me think, I don't do that much!! :D

Well even still I edited my previous post. I swear I have read and heard many times that .300blk was DESIGNED to function and perform optimally in short barrels such as pistols. But when I'm wrong, I'm the first to admit it. Luckily it happens very rarely. :D :D

Reeeeely ?? There is one 12.5 available as well. would you suggest that one instead of the 9?
Figure out what you want to do with it and look at the chart I posted earlier. It's calibrated for the 110 gr supersonic ammo which is why the muzzle velocity keeps increasing all the way to 20". I would expect the 220 gr velocity to roll off much earlier, probably before the 12.5", more likely just after the 9" that Kruel J mentioned. Subsonic ammo is usually (or maybe always?) designed to burn very fast.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top