JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I think you could create some "loose" by using coarse compound and selective pressure to work specific surfaces. However I cant see there is any reason to impart more play than what it takes to function. I say suck it and see :D

Well, I tried 2 attempts at home duracoating again and just not happy with it. Im just not going to try that anymore. so I said F it and put on some rustoleum and then took half of it off with acetone and did a Mad Max build. Damn ugly now

I'll take it back a part and have a professional coating done. at least no one will probably steel it. :D

5hcJQwP.jpg

Actually, I've already changed it. I did a light acid etch on it to try and make it look a little like pewter. The nice thing about building your own is I dont feel bad experimenting

VlnWGxY.jpg

Mosinvirus has a tutorial on home anodizing

For the same reason that SIG and most manufactures anodizes their aluminum receivers. It is not to protect the finish but rather for durability (protect it from wear) and to strengthen the aluminum. Thanks for the video above I will check it out.

For the same reason that SIG and most manufactures anodizes their aluminum receivers. It is not to protect the finish but rather for durability (protect it from wear) and to strengthen the aluminum. Thanks for the video above I will check it out.

thanks, Interesting, I did not know it did anything other than color the metal. More I need to learn. None of my 80% are built for carry or durability, just the hobby of building.

It's all a learning process. The 80% build process is new to me and I have been trying to get definitive answers regarding the legality of building one of these myself. It is not clear to me whether or not I would need to serialize it after completing one or does only apply if it were to be sold? Thank you!

It's all a learning process. The 80% build process is new to me and I have been trying to get definitive answers regarding the legality of building one of these myself. It is not clear to me whether or not I would need to serialize it after completing one or does only apply if it were to be sold? Thank you!

only if you want to sell it (though that may not be an absolute requirement) or if you want to make it an NFA item (like an SBR). The p229 came with a note saying that the ATF has determined that the part is not a firearm.

You can legally build anything you want (that's not NFA like a machine gun) at home for your own personal use. You only get in trouble if you build them to sell for profit without an FFL

serial numbers also could help if it gets stolen. If I serialize mine they will start with FTHEATF0001 :)

I already have everything but the frame so it looks like this is what I would need to build one? Any other tools and or supplies? Thanks!

Drilling Jig for P229 Frame
$80.00
Sig Rail Cutter P228/9 or P226
$225.00
Frame
$225

He's not the only one... I just need to find a receiver and jig an untrained monkey with a cordless hand-drill could finish. LOL

I did this sig with a corded drill, does that count? I even hooked up the drill to the rail cutter jig instead of the hand crank. Saved a ton of time. I even used it to cut the 3 holes.

Basically crank the cutter knobs 1/4 turn, run a pass, back of the know a 1/4 turn, back it out, advance a 1/2 turn. repeat about 20, measure every few passes, stop when it is about 0.05 on both side and fit.
(I filmed this horizontal, youtube rotated it). Obviously I went slower too

Last Edited:
I already have everything but the frame so it looks like this is what I would need to build one? Any other tools and or supplies? Thanks!

$80.00
$225.00
Frame
$225

Parts kit of course,
drill bits if you dont want to buy them at the hardware store (they are not a common size)
hand drill or drill press
small hand file for any finishing
thread cutting oil ( when cutting the rails a few dabs so that it cuts very clean)

If you may do a 1911 one day, spring for the combo 1911 / p228 rail kit. It is a very nice rail cutter and much faster than the stealth arms rail cutter jig.

$80.00
$225.00
Frame
$225

If you havent watch the build videos. I followed right along with them and it went just fine

These measurements help when cutting the frame. a good caliper is helpful here
sigdiagram.jpg

Then the sear spring pin installation instructions are on the front page of the matrix site and the new recommendations to make a small bevel in the rear rail. Get your frame coated or anodized before putting this pin in. the kit comes with an extra pin, pin driver and the block for the frame like pictured
Matrix Precision, High Quality Parts (http://www.matrixprecisionparts.com/catalog/)

p4.jpg

Then frame assembly. The only thing that this video misses is decocking the hammer before putting the trigger bar in. that took me a bit to figure out what I was doing wrong. But otherwise was very easy to follow

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top