JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Mmmm, I remember watching interviews of protesters who had no clue what they were protesting. I guess it just feels good to join a crowd causing a ruckus.
A few years ago someone did a video story about a professional educated woman taking part of the Naked Bike ride in Portland. At the gathering surrounded by naked people the interviewer asked her why she was doing it. The woman had no idea that the ride actually had a stated purpose.

Now I get how Purvy Old Fat Freddie shows up every year. But what other case do you get a "woke" professional woman to strip and go out in public? This for me is the height of how clueless people can be. It can be seen when antifa types walk away when asked basic questions.

Mike97124,

Thanks for your much appreciated civil response.

You posted: "While it sounds good on a screen to pass no laws restricting people's rights, keep in mind that your right ends where my right begins."

When convenient for you, would you please elaborate as the above sound kinda/sorta like a circumlocution. It's too vague for me to understand exactly what you're speaking about. However, if will would quote or paraphrase a law that demonstrates your post I would have a greater understanding of precisely what you mean...and thank you.
"

That's the nature of any type of digital forum, MannyGlocks... if someone writes pages of information covering every detail of what they are trying to get across, nobody will read it or if they do, will forget why they were reading by the time they get to the end. Most of what is said in message forums are the same as sound bites... we all post little snippets of our thoughts... if we are typing to the choir, everyone will jump in and express how they agree. If you are typing to the opposition, everybody will jump in and express how they disagree.

Some people want to convince and convert others and will go to great lengths to do so. Like many though, I'm using this forum to express my opinion based on a lot of things I've learned and experienced in my life, so I probably would not do a very good job of explaining it to you. I think it's very clear what the term "your rights end where mine begin" means and I would hope most people would understand it. Maybe I should have added "and mine end where yours begin" to help with the meaning. I'm sorry if I'm not able to express it very clearly, but then what we mean to say is always perfectly clear in our own minds... I guess it's a good thing we can't read each others minds. ;)

Have a good one.

Mike

"your rights end where mine begin"

My understanding of this principle is that one's person's rights do not trump another's. Whether that is strictly true or not, could be debated, but it's a popular saying today.

Some people want to convince and convert others and will go to great lengths to do so. Like many though, I'm using this forum to express my opinion

I like to express my opinion, perhaps too much since friends label me "opinionated", but I've mostly had the urge to convince and convert others burned out of me... well, mostly. :rolleyes:;)

"Long story short, she was willing to give up rights for "safety and the greater good".

Collective philosophy of the hopelessly naive.

Let me add that while she was smart enough to earn a college degree (we went to the same college), I thought she lived a sheltered life. Never married and still lives at home caring for her elderly parents. We have known each other since high school and went to the same college. She dated a buddy of mine for a long time but eventually went their own ways.

She does accuse me of being "brainwashed by the NRA". When she found out that I was a Life Member, she was horrified and very disappointed that I was "one of those people". She thinks Hillary was the great hope for our country and is still quite bitter/angry over the election.

She's not a bad person and truly thinks she wants what is best for this country. I think she's a naive person with no grounding of reality but will not say that to her face. What good will that accomplish? She thanks me for having served in the Army and in Iraq but is horrified that we "had to do what we had to do". FWIW, she prays for my soul. (Hahaha! like that will do any good!)

Just to let you know something about people on the other side of the aisle.

Mike97124,

OK, thanks Mike.

BTW, do you find the Benjamin Franklin quote I supplied a philosophy (if you will...) you agree with?

Not trying to me argumentative - trying to understand.

I ask as I'm wondering if you're outlook is liberal, Conservative, or middle of the road?

As a much younger guy, I was a liberal, but as time passed less so, then middle of the road, until finally one day I found I disagreed with liberals to the point they seemed totally illogical to me. Today, most sound like a variation of one of the 'ism's' like communism which I detest with a passion.

SJW's make me laugh. Complete, utter phoney's who simply want me to shut up and give them stuff through a variety of means, but none of them amounting to personal responsibility...

OK, I'll quit. Evangelizing at times grabs me...

I have been watching this thread, curious to see if there would be a new revelation as to the nature of those in favor of gun control. Sadly, I don't think so. The thread title of comparing deaths due to homelessness vs gun related deaths was laying the foundation for an argument that if the government and people of Portland want to save lives, save them in a big way compared to gun deaths by dealing with homelessness. You could easily change it from homelessness to drug abuse, driving impared, cancer, etc... There is a very large list of issues and conditions that take more lives than guns. Not to mention that guns do save lives now and again. Can't remember the last time that a hero was paraded for saving lives by driving under the influence.:confused:
As someone else pointed out, gun control is not now, nor has it ever been about saving lives. Its about controlling the population pure and simple. There is a mentality (i consider it a sickness) that goes with living in high density areas that we call cities. The ability to be self reliant gets thrown out the window. Along with that desire to be self reliant, goes the ability to even understand what it means to be self reliant. Living in the country, raising farm animals, fixing your own things, burning wood to stay warm, etc., are all foreign concepts to the average city dweller. Right along with is the idea that since they don't need a gun, why should anyone else need one? If something bad is happening you just call the cops and everything gets resolved, right?

Politicians have capitalized on this to further their agenda of placating the hoards. Logic has no seat at the table of thought for any of these people. Believe me, I know. I have tried to engage in logical discussions with a few of them to try to open their eyes. But by and large, when given the choice in reality, Neo doesn't swallow the red pill. He happily swallows the blue pill and goes back to his ignorance.

I think it's even more basic and insidious than that. I think that some people simply get a twisted sort of spiritual fulfillment in bending other people to their will. This applies to not just gun control.

E

This is true.

Thank you!

Cate

I agree with everything you said until "If I think a law will really help save lives and make it safer, regardless who's rights are taken away." I will never vote for a law that takes others rights away, no matter how many lives it purports to save. That is exactly what the Anti's are doing. Some even believe that they are saving lives.

In reality you can't take a person's rights away, it can only be given away by the person.

Or as of late, in Washington's case, given/voted away by the mob of sheep,,,

That's the nature of any type of digital forum, MannyGlocks... if someone writes pages of information covering every detail of what they are trying to get across, nobody will read it or if they do, will forget why they were reading by the time they get to the end. Most of what is said in message forums are the same as sound bites... we all post little snippets of our thoughts... if we are typing to the choir, everyone will jump in and express how they agree. If you are typing to the opposition, everybody will jump in and express how they disagree.

Some people want to convince and convert others and will go to great lengths to do so. Like many though, I'm using this forum to express my opinion based on a lot of things I've learned and experienced in my life, so I probably would not do a very good job of explaining it to you. I think it's very clear what the term "your rights end where mine begin" means and I would hope most people would understand it. Maybe I should have added "and mine end where yours begin" to help with the meaning. I'm sorry if I'm not able to express it very clearly, but then what we mean to say is always perfectly clear in our own minds... I guess it's a good thing we can't read each others minds. ;)

Have a good one.

Mike
It is an odd thing (in my experience) when I do my best to choose the most effective words in order to communicate a thought, people still misinterpret those words. I am not sure why, perhaps they read too fast and make an assumption without taking a moment to understand? I have seen this occur during verbal spats where one side appears to be waiting for the other to stop making noise out of their piehole so they can proceed with their own words.

Case in point on this forum, I recently mentioned .gov funding black projects with those receiving the funds having no accountabilty, or oversight...funds that dwarf the proposed wall budget. Two very savvy members here thought I was being racist (black projects) and thought I was referring to housing for people of color :oops:

Internets....

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads