JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This is not to make light of human life but the numbers paint a pretty clear picture. Because I am generally lazy in my internet searches I did come across some basic information. It seems about 80 homeless people have died in Portland each year for the past few years verses about 30 gun related homicides in Portland. 80 looks like a bigger number on paper at least. Feel free to check my math.

80 homeless people died in 2016; most could be prevented, say officials
27 homicides in Portland in 2017 included MAX attack slayings, 2 shootings by police
(I did a bit more but..)

So while Salem is literally exacerbating the homeless problem in Portland by making it easier to remain homeless and enticing more homeless to come to Portland where the can presumably die, the Governors' solution to saving the most lives seems to be gun control. While several new gun control acts have been initiated in Oregon over the past 3-4 years to hypothetically save lives we are actually losing people for no good reason outside of lack of leadership in this state. For me, these are the issues that needs to be pushed out into the open. If the real issue is saving lives, why aren't we saving lives?

Misplaced priorities.

But, that has never stopped the Govt. from forging ahead with the stupid ideas to solve non-existent problems.

But then......the homeless isn't on my radar of top priorities either.

Aloha, Mark

Right this way to financial stability.......

Last Edited:
Gun control has never been about saving lives.

That's right. Gun Control is a political football, at best. At worst, it's way to neuter stubborn groups of people who might oppose your agenda. Make them toothless, so you don't have to look over your shoulder anymore.

Portland is a cesspool btw. I lived in Portland for a time so I can say that. I marvel how they look down their nose at the rest of us.

That's right. Gun Control is a political football, at best. At worst, it's way to neuter stubborn groups of people who might oppose your agenda. Make them toothless, so you don't have to look over your shoulder anymore.

Portland is a cesspool btw. I lived in Portland for a time so I can say that. I marvel how they look down their nose at the rest of us.

I think it's even more basic and insidious than that. I think that some people simply get a twisted sort of spiritual fulfillment in bending other people to their will. This applies to not just gun control.

E

You are wrong... gun control is about saving lives. At least it is to the millions of people that vote to pass the laws to enact gun control laws. It isn't about saving lives for the small group that push to put the vote before the people and twist and lie to convince those millions of people to vote for those gun control laws.

Just because millions of people are sheep that do not do their own research and look for the truth behind the laws and who was pushing them does not change that fact that they voted for it believing that they were helping to save lives. If I think a law will really help save lives and make it safer, regardless who's rights are taken away, I will vote for it as well... but I will vote for it because I truly believe it and not because someone said it was so.

Mike

Why will they stop if no one stops them? The dems have moved on from black people because they are at the point they get the vote for free. They have moved on to LGBT & immigration because those groups have demands for vote. Gun owners give republicans their votes for free and this is the results. Not only are republicans not fighting for gun rights they are voting against them.

You are wrong... gun control is about saving lives. At least it is to the millions of people that vote to pass the laws to enact gun control laws. It isn't about saving lives for the small group that push to put the vote before the people and twist and lie to convince those millions of people to vote for those gun control laws.

Just because millions of people are sheep that do not do their own research and look for the truth behind the laws and who was pushing them does not change that fact that they voted for it believing that they were helping to save lives. If I think a law will really help save lives and make it safer, regardless who's rights are taken away, I will vote for it as well... but I will vote for it because I truly believe it and not because someone said it was so.

Mike
I agree with everything you said until "If I think a law will really help save lives and make it safer, regardless who's rights are taken away." I will never vote for a law that takes others rights away, no matter how many lives it purports to save. That is exactly what the Anti's are doing. Some even believe that they are saving lives.

In reality you can't take a person's rights away, it can only be given away by the person.

I agree with everything you said until "If I think a law will really help save lives and make it safer, regardless who's rights are taken away." I will never vote for a law that takes others rights away, no matter how many lives it purports to save. That is exactly what the Anti's are doing. Some even believe that they are saving lives.

In reality you can't take a person's rights away, it can only be given away by the person.

Yah, a LOT of folks confuse a right with a privelage.

A privelage is driving.

Free speech, Bearing arms, practicing Religeon etc are rights.

Mike97124,

Disagree.

Gun Control is population manipulation/control: See Venezuela, Cuba, the U.K., Australia and many, many more countries.

Pass no laws restricting people's right...ever or consider the population of free people going into civil war...

Would I be correct in guessing that you're a millennial?

Not being insulting, just curious.

Thanks!

Mike97124,

Disagree.

Gun Control is population manipulation/control: See Venezuela, Cuba, the U.K., Australia and many, many more countries.

Pass no laws restricting people's right...ever or consider the population of free people going into civil war...

Thanks!

I think Mike97124 was speaking in terms of the general population. If he is, then I agree with him. I think the vast majority of people on this forum understand the reasons and the need for the 2nd Amendment. But I have met so many people out there who truly believe that if we banned all guns, they would virtually disappear and gun crimes would be a thing of the past. In a conversation with an acquaintance, I told her, "If it was so easy, we should ban certain drugs like Heroin, Cocaine, and Meth. Then the drug problem would go away." She didn't see the connection and still firmly believes that if we ban guns, gun crime would disappear in months. Long story short, she was willing to give up rights for "safety and the greater good".

People in general but especially Americans have problems understanding motivations. What motivates me motivates me. I can inspire you to change a behavior but you have to motivate yourself for good, evil or whatever.

When someone says getting rid of guns will end violence and killing I demand to see the evidence. I've only seen evidence of the opposite. Therefore I seek a method of self protection for my family and myself.

Please inform me of any country without a police department and a homicide division. Maybe I would try what they are doing and would go there as soon as I get my unicorn out of the shop. Until then I'll keep doing what I'm doing.

Mike97124,

Disagree.

Thanks!

Hahaha, not even close, Manny, I'm a baby boomer. While it sounds good on a screen to pass no laws restricting people's rights, keep in mind that your right ends where my right begins. We are a nation of laws, rules and regulations, like it or not it is what makes America, America.

Retired Guy, yes, I am using a very wide brush in my comments although I do wonder sometimes how many people really do understand the 2nd Amendment... especially the younger generation. Shoot, here in Oregon we have the younger generation protesting, disrupting and damaging over just about anything someone can get them riled up about. I just have to shake my head sometimes when I watch the Portland news stations covering some of the demonstrations going on by our younger generation and what it is they say they are protesting against. Maybe between the demonstrations, homeless camps and poor city management, Portland will go bankrupt stop spending all of their money on bike lanes.

Mike

In a conversation with an acquaintance, I told her, "If it was so easy, we should ban certain drugs like Heroin, Cocaine, and Meth. Then the drug problem would go away." She didn't see the connection and still firmly believes that if we ban guns, gun crime would disappear in months. Long story short, she was willing to give up rights for "safety and the greater good".

I know these types. Being in the heart of potland most of the people I associate with are these types. It's a deeply depressing fact that there is nothing I can do to get anything into their heads to the contrary of what they believe. There's NO discussing the issue with these type of people. :(

Mike97124,

Thanks for your much appreciated civil response.

You posted: "While it sounds good on a screen to pass no laws restricting people's rights, keep in mind that your right ends where my right begins."

When convenient for you, would you please elaborate as the above sound kinda/sorta like a circumlocution. It's too vague for me to understand exactly what you're speaking about. However, if will would quote or paraphrase a law that demonstrates your post I would have a greater understanding of precisely what you mean...and thank you.

In addition, what you previously posted sounded like something Benjamin Franklin warned about i.e., "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."

I just have to shake my head sometimes when I watch the Portland news stations covering some of the demonstrations going on by our younger generation and what it is they say they are protesting against.

Mmmm, I remember watching interviews of protesters who had no clue what they were protesting. I guess it just feels good to join a crowd causing a ruckus.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top