JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This idea that the Federal gov. can mandate, or better yet -- "infringe" on our secured and inalienable right to keep and bear arms, just because a majority may want it (very debatable) rubs me wrong and it should everyone else too. That right does not come from the Federal gov. so it cannot be taken by the Federal gov. If the ratifiers had certain restrictions in mind that were allowable, they would have placed them there.

So far as I read the 2nd it does not say:
The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed, except by a majority of citizens in a popular vote.

The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed, except by a majority in both houses of Congress.

The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed, except by federal laws that infringe upon that right which are approved by the Supreme Court.

The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed, except by reasonable regulations.

The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed, except when it comes to weapons that weren't envisioned at the time of the writing of the Constitution.

I have no problem with a gun restriction debate, as long as it is on a constitutional basis.

Tell that to the county, city and state where I live. As far as I can tell, many states do not believe in God given rights. If they did then they would not put rules and regulations on them.

"You have rights but they need to be regulated. No right is freedom to do what you want." A quote from someone I think is wrong.

So an elected official will ignore the voters to support the constitution - how long do you think that canddiate will be in office when the voters - the majority go against the constitution. Regardless of how it should be the relaity is that our elected officials will do what is good for them especially since in a Republic they are to represent the will of the people. If you dont agree give me a couple of names of politiicians that have long careers doing this? To my knowledge there arent very many if any.

James Ruby

I would also argue as gun owners we support the 2A because it is to our advantage to do so even though we as whole are a minority. If the 2A amendment had been written in such a way as to infringe on our rights to own fire arms we would be the first to try and get it changed or abolished.

James Ruby

So an elected official will ignore the voters to support the constitution - how long do you think that canddiate will be in office when the voters - the majority go against the constitution.
It sounds like you are more concerned about safeguarding the representative than you are the system.
Regardless of how it should be the relaity is that our elected officials will do what is good for them especially since in a Republic they are to represent the will of the people.
The thing about a republican form of government is that the rule of law if foundational if it is to remain viable. If there really is a majority that desires gun control, as you seem to insinuate, they can follow the proper, lawful channel to initiate gun control -- a constitutional amendment.
If you dont agree give me a couple of names of politiicians that have long careers doing this? To my knowledge there arent very many if any.
There used to be many. The Constitution has suffered a serious undermining over the last 100 years or so. Both parties share equal blame, and so does the Supreme Court. To answer your question, few Senators take the Constitution seriously, but there are some Representatives that do. My personal favorite was Ron Paul. Ironically, Senators serve 6 years, Representatives serve 2.

James Ruby
Term limits anyone?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews