JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I will be reloading for my sons short (18") barrel 7mm-08 and was told that accurate 2015 would be a good powder for the short barrel. I cannot find load data for that powder for the 7mm08 even though there is recipes for that powder in the standard 308. Have any of you ever used accurate 2015 to load 7mm08? Im just looking for a min load starting point as I am new to reloading. Thanks.

Its a mite fast burning for my liking. I'd start in the H4895, IMR4064, or Varget range myself. Even H4350 would work fine.

When it comes to any case, I've found that as bore diameter decreases, powder burn rates get slower to maintain efficiency. The 243, for example, uses pretty slow burning powder compared to the bigger bores using a 308 case.

Its a mite fast burning for my liking. I'd start in the H4895, IMR4064, or Varget range myself. Even H4350 would work fine.

When it comes to any case, I've found that as bore diameter decreases, powder burn rates get slower to maintain efficiency. The 243, for example, uses pretty slow burning powder compared to the bigger bores using a 308 case.
I have used all 4 of those powders reloading 7mm-08 for my grandkids.

I understand why a faster burning powder was suggested, but I think AA2015 is pushing that thought beyond reason.
My 7mm-08 wears a 20" barrel and I use H4895 with 140 gr. bullets.

I think we told him what "water" to look for, but under the current situation finding one of the desired powders might be a bit difficult.

Good call. Here is a burn rate chart. Choose anything between H4895 and Reloader 19 that you can get a hold of. All of those should work.

A28DEEF5-6417-40B1-B601-5231F937BAF2.jpeg

Ramshot Big Game and Reloder 15 have worked extremely well for me, with 162gr bullets.

I haven't seen RL15 in months, but Big Game has been on shelves, here and there, as well as online. Not often or a lot, but more than RL15.

I compared Benchmark on the fast end of the powder choices along with H414 and H4350 on the low end with both 140 gran and 175 grain bullets and the velocity difference was only ~150 fps according to the Hogdon data. Optimum isn't easily achievable in today's situation of limited powder access.

Given today's component scarcity, I am sorry to say that back when I had a 7mm-08, I used Varget with 139 and 140 gr bullets. The guy I bought the rifle from swore by IMR-4064 as the best powder for it. I have had better luck sourcing IMR-4064 this year, but any of those in the 4895, 4064, Varget, Reloder 15 burn rate should work with most bullet weights. My local Sportsman's Warehouse had some Ramshot Big Game on the shelf this morning, and if I was still loading for a 7mm-08, I would give that a shot. (Works fantastic in .243 with 70 gr bullets, should be great in 7-08 with 130 to 160 gr bullets).

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top