JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Very new to reloading and trying to get setup. The main cartridge I will be reloading is for my AR-10 rifles. Currently the majority of the brass I would be reloading with would be old military surplus and some newer lake city factory seconds. I do have some federal .308. How restricted am I with CCI 34 primers? I have no clue if this limits me in what brass I can use in reloading with these primers.

I use standard CCI large rifle primers in my M1a. I have heard both sides of the argument, yes, no. After my research into the issue, I chose to go the route I did. Do your own investigation and make your own choice.

Just make sure your surplus brass is not Berdan primed. Just look in the empty case and if there are 2 holes, its Berdan and you'll need to set it aside. 1 hole is boxer primed and good to go for your reloading.
And I have used large rifle primers of various makers (Winchester, Federal, CCI and S&B) with good results. IMO it doesn't matter all that much as long as its a reliable brand, unless you're shooting in precision matches.

Just make sure your surplus brass is not Berdan primed. Just look in the empty case and if there are 2 holes, its Berdan and you'll need to set it aside. 1 hole is boxer primed and good to go for your reloading.
And I have used large rifle primers of various makers (Winchester, Federal, CCI and S&B) with good results. IMO it doesn't matter all that much as long as its a reliable brand, unless you're shooting in precision matches.
Thank you. So the 34 isn't going to matter if I use it in 7.62 cases or .308 federal? As long as it is not berdan primed. Im just trying to make sure that 34 is suitable for my needs vs large rifle primers such as cci 200 etc.

Thank you. So the 34 isn't going to matter if I use it in 7.62 cases or .308 federal? As long as it is not berdan primed. Im just trying to make sure that 34 is suitable for my needs vs large rifle primers such as cci 200 etc.
Those primers can be used in either brass.

It is said the CCI #34 is a "military" primer and has a harder cup than CCI 200's. To give a little more margin against unwanted, premature ignition from a floating firing pin design. OP you mention that you have an AR10. If this is an Armalite, it may have a spring on the firing pin that prevents if from floating. So in that sense, a #34 would have no advantage. I have an Armalite Model 10A2BF, about 10 years old, it has the spring on the firing pin.

I've fired thousands of rounds of .30-06 and 7.62x51mm in M1 Rifles and M1A's, both designs having floating firing pins, mostly with primers other than CCI #34's. Never had any issues. Also AR-15 types, of the many I've owned and now own, all have a floating firing pin. Also no issues.

Another "yes" for your being able to us #34's in both military and commercial brass.

CCI #34 primers will work fine in commercial or LC cases. I have shot thousands of reloaded ammo in M1s and M1As.
I mostly use Winchester and CCI standard Large Rifle primers with no issues. If you are looking for high accuracy ammo
different brass makes a big difference. Uniform neck tension is a key to accuracy. LC brass will work good. Try to use
all the same year of LC. All the loading manuals recommend reduce starting load on LC brass about 1 to 1.5 grains.
Due to the LC is a little heavier. Federal rifle brass is soft you won't get very many reloads out of it. I usually avoid it.

If you have 34's, great. They will work in military or comm cases just fine. In light of the current primer shortages I would not hesitate to use a standard LR primer either. I would try and stay away from brands that are known to be softer though. Federal comes to mind.

Reading your question I was thinking we just had a "Reloading .308" thread! But that thread was about military brass and primer pockets. Being as I will eventually be reloading for 7.62 NATO weapon I've done a fair amount of reading on the subject. I've come to the conclusion a person can use whatever rifle primer that fits the hole.

Here's just one page of sites filled with discussion

The main things I get from reading is. What ever primer you use, it's a good idea to keep your weapon serviced, with a clean firing pin channel. And when using any primer indicated to be a "Magnum" primer, always start low and work up while watching for pressure signs.

Oh, yeah, any suspected military brass (7.62 NATO marked) should be checked for Berdan priming.

I think it has been covered, but the size of a large rifle primer is the same, no matter what large rifle primer you are talking about. What varies are brands, "power" and hardness.

Besides the Berdan vs Boxer primer difference already discussed, if you are using military brass, the primers were originally crimped in. You will need a way to remove the crimp before inserting the new primer of your choice.

Reloading for military rifles with a floating firing pin like the AR-10 and M14 it is important not to have a high primer. In order to prevent a slam fire I put all my brass through a primer pocket uniformer that will be fired in a semi-auto. I use a RCBS Case Prep Center

So I am running a bit low on magnum large pistol primers for my 458 socom. I do have plenty of Large rifle primers so I did an experiment and loaded 4 dummy 458 socom rounds with LR primers. Yep they sit above flush in the primer pocket but I could not get them to go off no matter what I tried short of pulling the trigger. In fact they didn't really dent or mark up much worse than the pistol primers.
Not advocating anybody try this because of the variables involved but in an emergency it could be done with my setup. I have decided if I really have to use LR primers in my 458 socom brass I will cut the pockets deeper until primer seats slightly below flush. Hopefully it doesn't come to that and primers of all sorts become readily available again. I will not hold my breath.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top