JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
140 Partition

It's not a match bullet. Or tactical. Or have a nifty tip.

It DOES penetrate well (A lot of the creed slugs do not penetrate well. Which patters at hard angles or close range). It does make stuff dead. And it has a soft nose for long range.

1 pound = 7000 gr [grains].

The history of the modern British grain can be traced back to a royal decree in thirteenth century England, re-iterating decrees that go back as far as King Offa (eighth century). The Tower Pound was one of many monetary pounds of 240 silver pennies - the Royal Mint was located in the Tower of London.

'By consent of the whole Realm the King's Measure was made, so that an English Penny, which is called the Sterling, round without clipping, shall weigh Thirty-two Grains of Wheat dry in the midst of the Ear; Twenty pennies make an Ounce; and Twelve Ounces make a Pound.

— Tractatus de Ponderibus et Menusi:119 [Table of weights and measures] The pound in question is the Tower Pound. The Tower pound, abolished in 1527, consisted of 12 ounces like the troy pound, but was 1⁄16 (≈6%) lighter. The weight of the original sterling pennies was 22½ troy grains, or 32 "Tower grains".

Physical grain weights were made and sold commercially at least as late as the early 1900s, and took various forms, from squares of sheet metal to manufactured wire shapes and coin-like weights.

The troy pound was only "the pound of Pence, Spices, Confections, as of Electuaries", as such goods might be measured by a troi or small balance. The old troy standard was set by King Offa's currency reform, was in full use in 1284 (Assize of Weights and Measures, King Edward I), but was restricted to currency (the pound of pennies) until it was abolished in 1527. This pound was progressively replaced by a new pound, based on the weight of 120 gold dirhems of 48 grains. The new pound used a barley-corn grain, rather than the wheat grain.

Avoirdupois (goods of weight) refers to those things measured by the lesser but quicker balances: the bismar or uncel, the Roman balance, and the steelyard. The original mercantile pound of 25 shillings or 15 (tower) ounces was displaced by variously the pound of the Hanseatic League (16 tower ounces) and by the pound of the then-important wool trade (16 ounces of 437 grains). A new pound of 7680 grains was inadvertently created as 16 troy ounces, referring to the new troy rather than the old troy. Eventually, the wool pound won out.

The avoirdupois was defined in prototype, rated as 6992 to 7004 grains. In the Imperial Weights and Measures Act of 1824, the avoirdupois pound was defined as 7000 grains exactly. The Act of 1855 authorised Miller's new standards to replace those lost in the fire that destroyed the Houses of Parliamenty. The standard was an avoirdupois pound, the grain being defined as 1/7000 of it.

The division of the carat into four grains survives in both senses well into the early twentieth century. For pearls and diamonds, weight is quoted in carats, divided into four grains. The carat was eventually set to 205 milligrams (1877), and later 200 milligrams. For touch or fineness of gold, the fraction of gold was given as a weight, the total being a solidus of 24 carats or 96 grains.

Just so's you'd know.

While lighter bullets in the 90-120 gr can work in the 6.5 Creedmoor, the cartridge seems to do best with bullets in the 140 gr weight class. I don't hunt big game, at least not presently, but there are plenty of bullets in the 140 gr class that should serve you well from Hornady, Berger and others.

140 Partition

It's not a match bullet. Or tactical. Or have a nifty tip.

It DOES penetrate well (A lot of the creed slugs do not penetrate well. Which patters at hard angles or close range). It does make stuff dead. And it has a soft nose for long range.

I am not going to argue that the Partition is a great hunting bullet but I am going to point out a couple of facts. Facts that probably don't matter to most but some might be interested. Not trying to ruffle any feathers.

140 gr Partion has a BC of .490 and costs $0.80 a bullet.

143 gr ELD-X has a BC of .625 and costs $0.36 a bullet.

These facts matter to me because although I hunt occasionally, I like to shoot a lot. I like to shoot with my hunting load and, since I have a gun chambered in a very good long range round, I like to shoot way beyond hunting distances because it is fun.

I will also admit that I don't have any experience with how the ELD-X bullets perform when impacting an animal but I have faith that Hornady knows how to make a hunting bullet. I have killed elk with Partitions in the past and they work really well.

I am a reloader so if you are buying loaded ammo, price might not be as big of an issue. I can't find any 140 gr Partition ammo on Midway though.

Last Edited:
I am not going to argue that the Partition is a great hunting bullet but I am going to point out a couple of facts. Facts that probably don't matter to most but some might be interested. Not trying to ruffle any feathers.

140 gr Partion has a BC of .490 and costs $0.80 a bullet.

143 gr ELD-X has a BC of .625 and costs $0.36 a bullet.

These facts matter to me because although I hunt occasionally, I like to shoot a lot. I like to shoot with my hunting load and, since I have a gun chambered in a very good long range round, I like to shoot way beyond hunting distances because it is fun.

I will also admit that I don't have any experience with how the ELD-X bullets perform when impacting an animal but I have faith that Hornady knows how to make a hunting bullet. I have killed elk with Partitions in the past and they work really well.

I am a reloader so if you are buying loaded ammo, price might not be as big of an issue. I can't find any 140 gr Partition ammo on Midway though.

I absolutely understand the difference between a hunting load and a shooting load.

I have shot a few animals with cup and core slugs. More with Partitions and X type slugs.

For elk sized game at close range, a partition allows harder angle shots than n ELDX (Cup and core non bonded) type slug. On elk sized game, this will be helpful.

As to cost of a bullet on big game hunting, it's a few cents per shot in cost difference. By the time you buy a rifle/tag/gear/ yada yada, a buck for a good bullet that will function at close range is not an argument I can see as having merit. If a buck for a slug is too much to ask, buy meat at the store. It's likely cheaper.

I am not suggesting one shoot Partitions by the thousand for steel/targets. But for game, the only thing that anchors the critter is the bullet.....it seems very foolish in my eyes to try and save on a slug.

OP mentions elk at 100 yards. I stand by my statement that a 140 Partition is a better game bullet at close range on elk than a cup and core due to at's ability to penetrate deeply/break large heavy bones. Plus it has as soft a nose as any, so it will function correctly at longer ranges as well.

I have no idea if they are available in factory loaded ammo. So if OP is asking for factory only, my bad.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews