JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I think the AK-47 will be the real winner in the long run, very rugged ( depending on manufacturer) and pretty reasonable for allot of lethality .
My humble opinion the 7.62x39 is pretty devastating round for most hard targets including brick and mortar buildings. Far from me to be a ballistics expert but within medium range that in my head is about 150yards and under the 7.62x39 would be a good stock up for ammo especially since for now its very reasonable.

Maybe a 762x39 in an AR platform......;)

So, I'm looking to stock up on a little ammo for my primary "SHTF" rifle, my Colt AR15. I buy most of my ammo from SG Ammo, cause they usually have what I'm looking for a shipping isn't too bad.

My question is, what 556/223 should I buy?

My rifle seems to shoot (maybe it's me) both 193 and 855, and a few different .223 rounds that I've tried, all the same, or very close.

I'd like to stick with something affordable, but not down to Wolf. It's looking like I need to pick XM193 or XM855, and go from there. Are the green tips good for general use, training, and if it came to it, survival, or is the 193 better? How are the Battle Packs? Seems like a nice idea for storage...I see Prvi and IMI both have reasonably priced bulk ammo.

What should I get?!

I stick with 5.56 M855/SS109, which I buy in bulk wherever and whenever I can get it cheap. I do not buy any steel cased or Berdan primer ammo. I have bought PMC (Korean), Federal Lake City, ZQI Guardian (Turkish), and Surplus Ammo house brand (SSA), without any problems at all. Only the US domestic M855 is "green tip" ... the same round made to NATO specs in other countries is called SS109 and is the same as green tip but without the tip painted green.

I store in either ammo cans or 5 gal buckets, with 40 gram Hydrosorb silica gel aluminum desiccant containers (1-2 per can, 2-3 per bucket, and can be reused). If I use 5 gal buckets, I use Gamma Seal lids, which I get from Home Depot or Amazon.

I tend to stock m193 over m885 mostly due to cost, but also I feel that if everything goes south and the zombies show up I feel m193 will be more effective against targets who are not wearing armor.

Just read a bunch of research on Mk 262 and other ammo used in Afghanistan.

The consensus was that lethality was rated in this order (better to worse):

Hornady TAP 75 grain
Mk 262
M855
M193

Of course the TAP ammo is expanding projectile (not sure what capacity they were allowed to use it, but under certain ROE expanding ammo is allowed, such as police work and maybe SF?). The downside is not all rifles can shoot the heavier longer projectiles.

My general preference is that if I am going to pay a premium price for the ammo, I will pay for expanding projectile ammo as I feel (and gel tests empirically prove), expanding ammo is considerably more lethal than any non-expanding ammo against humans and thin skinned game.

Yes some of the FMJ ammo tumbles and fragments under certain conditions, but from the gel tests I have seen, expanding ammo is considerably more lethal, and with the proper projectile, it is more lethal in a wider range of distances and velocities.

I already have a decent store of FMJ ammo I have bought years ago for bulk ammo, that I occasionally use for practice. Now I am stocking up on expanding ammo.

I ordered a thousand rounds of Hornady 7.62x39 expanding ammo at a good price from PSA, and as I am typing this I am making another order of similar ammo for 5.56 from PSA, who seems to have a decent price on this kind of ammo from time to time - as in 25% less than anywhere else when on sale.

There guys did some interesting tests on premium 5.56 ammo

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbU9vLFnOOkG4nbxPsbD1Ag

Im not a big fan of the light stuff. I like 69 and 75 grain myself. I stock up on Prvi Partizan match 75 grain hollow points. Its more expensive, but when my life is on the line I want hollow points going down range!

Last Edited:
I was all set to go out and buy some 77gr OTM bullets for loading, to use in my new 1:7 twist AR. Then just as I was going to grab some, I realized it wouldn't shoot in my 1:9 twist guns. So I would have to segregate the ammo according to the gun I was using it in, which is sub-optimal. So I guess I will just load with 69gr matchkings; they will work in all the guns.

There is only about 1 yr until you it see all dry up..... happens with a election, tula and steel case wolf going at hi end $$.

Get the best you can, gold wolf if fine and besides when the lead Flys .... Ya wont be so picky when Taking guns , mags and ammo from the DEAD.....

You may get lucky and find a Scar or a Travor! !!

LMFAO

I am hoping to cadge an M14.

Brutus Out

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA