Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

556/223 To Stockpile

Discussion in 'Preparedness & Survival' started by RedneckRampage, Oct 26, 2015.

1. RedneckRampage

RedneckRampage Newberg Well-Known Member

So, I'm looking to stock up on a little ammo for my primary "SHTF" rifle, my Colt AR15. I buy most of my ammo from SG Ammo, cause they usually have what I'm looking for a shipping isn't too bad.

My question is, what 556/223 should I buy?

My rifle seems to shoot (maybe it's me) both 193 and 855, and a few different .223 rounds that I've tried, all the same, or very close.

I'd like to stick with something affordable, but not down to Wolf. It's looking like I need to pick XM193 or XM855, and go from there. Are the green tips good for general use, training, and if it came to it, survival, or is the 193 better? How are the Battle Packs? Seems like a nice idea for storage...I see Prvi and IMI both have reasonably priced bulk ammo.

What should I get?!

2. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

The Israelis have there sheite in one sock when it comes to ordinance... IMI is top shelf. Get yourself a mix of 62gr green-tip and standard 55gr ball ammo. Both serve a purpose.

I have quantities of both packed in 50cal ammo cans on stripper clips with 3 spoons per can for fast loading of mags. I also keep several multitudes of 30rnd mags already loaded and kitted up in load carrying equipment kits for myself and "wingmen".

Wolf ammo is fine for plinking and "training" to keep costs down.

Caveman Jim and Brutus57 like this.
  3. The Heretic

The Heretic Oregon Well-Known Member

Ball ammo is okay for practice/training and as a bulk backup for defensive ammo, but expanding ammo is better, although it will cost more it will generally be more effective, especially if you need to hunt also.

I have plenty of various FMJ for my rifles, but I am starting to stock up on expanding ammo.

Brutus57 and WAYNO like this.
  4. Stomper

He's talking SHTF... SP 5.56/.223 is good for hunting (agreed) and against softies, but hardened targets... not so much.

5. John Gault

John Gault clackamas county Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Brownells is running a sale that might pencil out. Look for PMC 55 grain 840 round bandolier on stripper clips in a can on sale for $299.00 plus + additional sale with coupons and you can save up to $60.00 extra off of $500 or more. Shipping for 2 full cans was only $15.00 UPS last week. I missed the extra coupon savings offered this week....

6. erudne

erudne The Pie Matrix PPL Say Sleeping W/Your Rifle Is A bad Thing? Bronze Supporter

the new Wolf Gold 223 55 grn is reloadable brass from Taiwan
    the 55 and 62 grain loads have a very similar trajectory

7. The Heretic

The Heretic Oregon Well-Known Member

If you are shooting "hardened targets", then you probably want to use something more powerful than 5.56

At least 7.62x51, preferably .50 BMG with Raufoss ammo.

If SHTF, I would think the only "hardened target" I would encounter would be an automobile.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/tag/buick-of-truth/

ron likes this.
  8. Stomper

I was attempting to be "less offensive/tin foil hat", but was referring (implying actually) more to body armored targets.

9. RedneckRampage

RedneckRampage Newberg Well-Known Member

You mean, like little blue "buckets"?

10. Martini_Up

Martini_Up NW USA Well-Known Member

2200> FPS laughs at body armor.

Brutus57, CoastRange57 and Dyjital like this.
  11. Joe13

Joe13 NW of Vancouver Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Anything that puts holes in things and is cheap is what you should stock up on is my theory.

In SHTF a FMJ hole in you will take the fight out of almost everyone and will turn their attention to survival instead.

If you want one shot drops then you want a bigger caliber.

12. Joe13

Joe13 NW of Vancouver Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Gotta call bs on that.

My .308 shoots close to 3,000fps and will not penetrate body armor...

watermerc likes this.
  13. Martini_Up

Martini_Up NW USA Well-Known Member

22 cal does much better at defeating body armor than does the 30 cal. Also, what load are you using in your 308? (You do know that hunting ammo isn't supposed to penetrate, it's supposed to transfer the energy to the target ;) )

This is wrong. bigger does not mean one shot drops. Shot placement does (head).

14. Caveman Jim

Caveman Jim West of Oly Springer Slayer 2016 Volunteer

I'd look more in the line of defensive ammo with SP, HP or ballistic tips bullets.
    When the SHTF I want *hit to die.;)

Brutus57 and Slobray like this.
  15. Caveman Jim

Caveman Jim West of Oly Springer Slayer 2016 Volunteer

EXACTLY! !!!!!

16. DuneHopper

DuneHopper Douglas County. Well-Known Member

I think the AK-47 will be the real winner in the long run, very rugged ( depending on manufacturer) and pretty reasonable for allot of lethality .
    My humble opinion the 7.62x39 is pretty devastating round for most hard targets including brick and mortar buildings. Far from me to be a ballistics expert but within medium range that in my head is about 150yards and under the 7.62x39 would be a good stock up for ammo especially since for now its very reasonable.

Caveman Jim and CoastRange57 like this.
  17. Stomper

I get that there are ALL KINDS of new "wonder bullets" that are legit, but all this talk of bonded this and that, .30cal and AK rounds is going beyond the original parameters of the OP's question... a bit.

watermerc, Brutus57 and DuneHopper like this.
  18. DuneHopper

DuneHopper Douglas County. Well-Known Member

What was the question ?

To stay on topic, I would buy enough to allow practice with plinkers, but also weigh in on a SHTF can you move your supply easily ? You see people with literately pallets of ammo good luck getting that past the men in blue hats. Two thoughts stay and pray or travel light. Example when I carry I do so with topnotch ammo if the needs should ever arise I would hate to have a hang, miss or jam. Spend wisely but be realistic are you saving to stay or saving for going. But then have ammo to practice as well.

19. Joe13

We are going off topic but I have to correct some miss information as I understand things.

The only penetrating rounds in .308 that would go thru body armor are the AP rounds and they will do a heck of a lot more damage then any .223 AP round. The original point was that anything going over 2200fps will NOT penetrate body armor.

"22 cal does much better at defeating body armor than does the 30 cal"

Sorry boss, any plain Jane 30-06 FMJ round will go thru your level 3 body armor - no AP needed. No 22 cal bullet can do that.

"This is wrong. bigger does not mean one shot drops. Shot placement does (head)."

Sorry, but I have to respectfully disagree with you again. 50bmg. Snipers aim at center mass now because shot placement doesn't matter when you "go with a bigger bullet".

I could be mistaken but I have never seen a HP 50BMG round...

orygun likes this.
  20. Swshield9mm

Swshield9mm Oregon Member

image.jpg :s0090:

orygun and Joe13 like this.