JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Much of the time finding single boxes on sale is the same or better than some quantity buys. For example, 9mm on sale at $8.50 - $9.00 per box...that about the same case price online (for non-Tula / Wolf). I do what ZA mentioned above; some for shooting, some in the safe. 223 is often found for $5.99 per box for good quality. I know you can find slightly better deals but in the scheme of things it's only a small amount.

Beware of "bonus packs" at stores, they are often more expense than individual boxes. I once was at the bit C when a worker was talking to someone who he obviously knew as a friend. He was directing him to a bulk box of 45...which was about $3 a box more per 50. I politely showed them the math and they were both surprised.

Ammo supplies are kinda like long term investing. Slowly, over time, and don't spend your investment!

Buy ammo when its low even for calibers you do not use.
Example ammo at bimart 18.88 a box for 500 22LR if it ever gets scarce easy trade value.
I got a ton of 7.62x39 trading for the 22LR I had bought years earlier for 9.99 for 500. Ammo think long term.
Thats how I do it. Even traded ammo for a firearm.... when it was scarce.
Trade value, exactly. You wouldn't necessarily want to trade a caliber that you use if you don't have a large supply of it.

I've bought ammo from members here that they didn't need anymore and generally got a great deal, but you have to be quick and have the cash in hand to score.

I have a price threshold.

If it's at or below, I buy. No questions asked. Normally it's the price point where I know it won't get much lower aside from liquidation sales.

I reload, I have powder and primers stocked up, I have lead stocked up, I recycle my lead using bullet traps. It's very economical, and I'm not at the whims of whatever political bubblegum is taking place. I realize that it's not for everybody but it works for me. I picked up a few new uppers a few months ago and had to buy store bought ammo as I didn't have any brass or dies yet, man, it about killed me parting with the cash.lol.

Years back, when I was on more of a tight budget than I am now, I'd buy a couple boxes of whatever was cheap (not necessarily bad) ever payday. The end result was a bunch of hodgepodge ammo that drove me crazy as my OCD kicked in. Now I have one particular ammo for each firearm. Some take Fed XM193, some take a specific reload recipe, some take AE 230grn ball etc. This simplifies everything IMO and improves accuracy.

My advice is before stocking up on any ammo, figure out what you want to stock and pretty much stick to that. A little every paycheck.

I have not bought bulk ammo on line in years. I buy, mostly at BiMart, when it goes on sale. Been picking up a few boxes frequently for a long time. It really adds up over time. Enough that I sat back and laughed at the last two ammo shortages. I had plenty stashed away to shoot whenever I wanted. Still do.

I have not bought bulk ammo on line in years. I buy, mostly at BiMart, when it goes on sale. Been picking up a few boxes frequently for a long time. It really adds up over time. Enough that I sat back and laughed at the last two ammo shortages. I had plenty stashed away to shoot whenever I wanted. Still do.
Same with components and lead. Centerfire handgun for about .22 prices.

Well maybe have steak or bacon...but not at the same meal....:D
And I never meant to say no coffee...I meant just brew it at home...no coffee , what do ya take me for a heathen...:D
Andy
Oh brother, you be missing out. where my son works they make the best Bacon Wrapped Tenderloin.
Makes me hungry just thinking about it. And its real meat not the store bought.
Oh yea, I love some home brew. But ya know sometimes at 6am out in the bush that peculator over the fire. Ends up being one of the best cups on a cold morning.

Well maybe have steak or bacon...but not at the same meal....:D
And I never meant to say no coffee...I meant just brew it at home...no coffee , what do ya take me for a heathen...:D
Andy

Taster's Choice is not bad coffee. My work has OK coffee and buy coffee when is on sale. I go to Peet's or Starbucks very rarely now a days.

Always be on alert for the best deals. Ammo prices are historically low atm -- at prices not seen for around 15 years.

Whether it's using websites like ammoseek.com or (daily)gundeals.com, find a ppr(price per round) that you're happy with, and go for it. Sometimes sites such as Brownells offer good deals with promo codes that discount on <full cases -- if one buys a certain amount of boxes to get to a certain purchase price threshold(such as $100 or $150) -- in addition to offering free shipping.

Some time back, Academy Sporting Goods had a (mistake I think on their part) promo code/deal going on that included (no-limit)free shipping on 1100 round buckets of Federal .22 plinkster for $39.99. @3.6 cents a rd. shipped to my doorstep...that was a no-brainer.

Those Federal 'Black Box' deals around the holidays last winter were pretty good as well. Places like Palmetto State Armory were offering free-shipping to boot. I actually had to restrain myself from backing the truck up at the time. "Hi my name is RedRover, and I have an ammo problem".

15/16 cents a round for factory (brass)9mm can be had. (When one's time is considered) Reloading can't compete at those prices...Around 25 cents for .556 and 45 acp.

Better deals can be had with person-to-person transactions.

I've bought ammo quite a few times having gotten lucky winning under-the-radar right-place/right-time auctions on gunbroker for great deals(even w/ the cost of shipping factored in). I recently scored almost 900 rds of boxed .44 mag for $230(free shipping) -- the guy had to pay almost $50 to ship it to me ground. Most of it is HPR ammo that was sold for around $40 a box. With other recent .44 mag deals, I don't have to feel bad when my Redhawk decides to over-eat at the range...And I have reloadable brass for days.

Sometimes, obscure less popular calibers can be had on gunbroker. I've gotten some nice lots of shotgun shells for good auction deals because there wasn't much competition in the bidding around auction close.

I'lll even scour armslist on occasion and find local deals. A while back I scored from a guy who was selling a large quantity of a multitude of different calibers for the wife of a friend that had passed away. He let me name and bundle my offered price(s), and I scooped a bunch up. All kinds of SD and practice ball ammo for 50% of what it would normally retail for. I also scored a bunch of 7.62 NATO - including a pile of boxes of Vietnam-era Lake City Match Grade for 5 bucks a box.

Just last week, a guy was selling a 640 spam can of Tula 7.62x39 for $120 on there, claiming he'd "overdone it a couple years back, and needed to offload". I offered him $100 (which comes out to <16 cents a rd), and went and picked it up later that evening.

My point here is not to brag about all the scores I've gotten, well sorta:p...My point is that if one is serious about stockpiling ammo(and budget may be a concern), they will spend the time and effort needed to do so as economically as they can.

[QUOTE="RedRover, post: 2272746, member: 52907".
15/16 cents a round for factory (brass)9mm ..[/QUOTE]
People often forget that one can replicate $1 ea "woods" ammo for for an additional 1/7000 of $20 over their normal plinking LFP/SWC lead ammo that's roughly the cost of the primer to begin with.

Resurch the top selling dogs like English Bulldogs. Invest in a female and find a stud. One liter per yr 6-8 puppy's at $2000 each (cash or guns of course) puts $12k in your annual budget.

OR

Watch for facebook Marketplace or Offer UP app for undervalued stuff for sale. Flip local or via national eBay. I know a kid that makes $500 a weekend just using his pick up to get free freezers or fridges that he then flips that same weekend for $50 each w/ free delivery.

Bottom line mo money = mo ammo.

I'm sure it's already been said but it's pretty simple. If you go to the range and shoot three boxes then go buy six to replace them. If you always buy double what you shoot it will add up quick.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top