JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I can hit my 12in plate at 350 all day long with any of my scoped center-fire rifles. 2in at 500? I'd love to see that done consistently, with multiple rifles. That's some world record shooting. A few mph of wind in any given direction for the entirety of the 500m is going to knock you off trajectory by more than 2in. Just seeing/identifying a 2in target at 500m is a feat I couldn't replicate; not with my gear at least.

I limited myself to 200m using pistols with iron sights (in my IHMSA days :) ). Shooting the 50m chickens at 200m during shootoffs was not so easy...
a friend and i were at a range and someone left a microwave out at a good distance
we started shooting at it with hand guns and hit it a few times but were also within a foot of it, pace it out and it was at 200 yards :D

A 2" plate at 500 meters? Shoot, Natty Bumpo could do that with a Pennsylvania Long Rifle, standing on his head while escaping murderous INDIANS...
That said, I can hit chest-size targets with my Serbian AK using Yugo surplus ammo, open sights, at 300 meters pretty consistently, free hand standing, while breathing is at rest. That's about it for me with the AK tho...

Last Edited:
I have a rifle I have yet to shoot that is supposed to be zeroed at 500yds.

If I had a range that went to 500, I'd love to shoot at that range...

Not bad, Dun! :)
The "Like" is for your Aaron Zelman quote re: armed Jews v Nazis. I have long believed that if every Jew had taken out just one goose-stepper the history of the world would have been much different. There is much to be said about an armed and DETERMINED group WILLing to use force to further it's ends, be they political or group survival. A thing I learned from reading V.I. Lenin back in my collegiate days...
No I am not a bolshie, I despise them and pretty much everything they did. Which is not to say that we can't learn from them...

Last Edited:
Possible.

In a temperature-controlled vacuum with no wind.
No temperature or wind changes during flight.
Custom hand loaded ammo that matches your rifle twist & harmonics. Neck tension, propellent charge, trim length, meplat trimmed and a dozen other factors that produce less than 10 fps standard deviation.
Precision rifle balanced & blueprinted with a $450 trigger, On a benchrest in a vice.
Let us not forget proper use of a scope with full knowledge of parallax error and proper doping for air density, etc.
Too name but a few of the variables....

I do this all the time with my 10/22. o_O

Who is shooting all of their rigs out to 500 yards on the regular ? I am not talking about 22 lr but center fire ? I play a game with off the shelf ammo not even match and have all of my rifles hitting a 2in plate at 500 yards and under . I am asking is that the norm ? I was at the range and a guy had a "Precision Rifle " with hand loads and was having issues at the 500 yard mark . I have been shooting for about 50 years is it a either you have it or you don't or some other special formula ?
2in plate, off the shelf ammunition, 500 yards with all center fire rifles?

No, that is not the norm.

You know it's not the norm.

You can look up the F-Class Open National Championship scores. A 2" plate @ 500 yards is roughly equivalent to "X" ring hits, and you can determine the percentage of those hits from the top shooters in the world.
It reminds me of the old paper target joke, "That's some mighty fine shooting. What caliber are those holes, Dixon or Ticonderoga?"

You can look up the F-Class Open National Championship scores. A 2" plate @ 500 yards is roughly equivalent to "X" ring hits, and you can determine the percentage of those hits from the top shooters in the world.
It reminds me of the old paper target joke, "That's some mighty fine shooting. What caliber are those holes, Dixon or Ticonderoga?"
The good ol' pencil punch. It's called pit love. Haha.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top