JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
when i was but a weeee lad (55 this month)
and when California was a gun friendly state,
we belonged to the Burbank rifle and revolver club
were we shot out to 500 yards some one raised and lowered the target to call shots (because the road to the 1000 yard was washed out)
i was about 9 at the time,
color me shocked that when people have the ability to shoot out that far that they
#1 don't think they can
#2 have never tried with a spotter
#3 doubt peoples ability on a regular basis to do so.

don't get me wrong the targets we shot were this size at 500 yards
but still at 9 years old getting some in the ten ring gives you wings.
NPS_WICR_still-07.jpg

If you have a decent scope with turrets and know your bullet velocity it's boringly simple. Plug all the variables in to your ballistic calculator app including wind speed and direction. Factory ammo works just fine. If the terrain is uneven (wind pockets) or the wind is gusting inconsistently it's a little more difficult.

I've never seen anyone put rounds in a 2" square at 500 with any real consistency. Maybe it's possible..........

@PORSCHE928S4 I assume you're shooting from a vise....?

If you have a decent scope with turrets and know your bullet velocity it's boringly simple. Plug all the variables in to your ballistic calculator app including wind speed and direction. Factory ammo works just fine. If the terrain is uneven (wind pockets) or the wind is gusting inconsistently it's a little more difficult.
Considering that a direct 20mph crosswind is 30 to 50 inches of windage at 500 yards, your accomplishment in wind dope alone is staggering if you are hitting 2 inches every time. A small change in velocity or direction of the wind results in a change of POA that is several times the width of your target. So misjudging by 1mph would be a miss.

Given your luck in having multiple 1/4 MOA rifles, astounding wind dope abilities and fantastic aim, you really shouldn't put your good fortune and skill down by calling that performance "easy". You are bumping up against World Benchrest Shooting records.

I just put 10 rounds of 25acp up a gnat's urethra at 500 while undergoing hemorrhoid surgery In a sandstorm. Unsupported.

Also, chicks dig me.

I know I can hit a 6" target at 350 to 400 with my hunting guns. But beyond 350 yards a lot of outside forces start stacking up against you.
When I was younger, I tried shooting out to 600 yds. I did OK but there was a lot of workups, and I never found an off the shelf load that was consistent enough for it. But right rifle, right optics, and a dedicated load, I could hit the target. But keep all shots in a 2" square? not likely. DR

exactly

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads