JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Please tell me who is your dealer? My last ffl transfer cost me $40 and I'm about to order ar lower, but really don't want to pay $40 again.
Help please?

Just wandered into this forum and signed up, and hopefully can answer the question from my own personal experience. I used Sound Loan Pawn Shop in downtown Everett as recently as a couple of weeks ago. The owner's name is Jeff. Handgun transfer was $25, plus of course, he had to collect tax on the value of the gun. No hassle. He gave me a call as soon as it arrived. Hope this helps.

Just wandered into this forum and signed up, and hopefully can answer the question from my own personal experience. I used Sound Loan Pawn Shop in downtown Everett as recently as a couple of weeks ago. The owner's name is Jeff. Handgun transfer was $25, plus of course, he had to collect tax on the value of the gun. No hassle. He gave me a call as soon as it arrived. Hope this helps.

thanks! and welcome to the forum!

What i've found is that it's more pleasant going with a "kitchen table" type of FFL. Mine runs a small gunsmith shop in his garage, a nice little setup. It takes me about 6 minutes to fill out the form, hand 25 bucks, inspect gun, he calls in my name, out the door. I'd say 25 bucks for that is a god sent.

He is who I use also. He's a great guy and a straight shooter. I wander in quite often to see what he has and end up shooting the breeze for quite some time with him. He does not, at the moment, display most of the firearms he has but that is soon to change.

What i've found is that it's more pleasant going with a "kitchen table" type of FFL. Mine runs a small gunsmith shop in his garage, a nice little setup. It takes me about 6 minutes to fill out the form, hand 25 bucks, inspect gun, he calls in my name, out the door. I'd say 25 bucks for that is a god sent.

I hope he collects the use tax also.

I hope he collects the use tax also.

I haven't encountered any tax transferring a gun yet, but it seems like this recently became popular, so maybe my next gun will fall victim. He's a pretty hardcore war vet and sticks to his guns, so it wouldn't surprise me if he just turns a blind eye, but the tax man is nothing to mess with.

I haven't encountered any tax transferring a gun yet, but it seems like this recently became popular, so maybe my next gun will fall victim. He's a pretty hardcore war vet and sticks to his guns, so it wouldn't surprise me if he just turns a blind eye, but the tax man is nothing to mess with.

I hear ya. The two pistols I had transferred before I found the dealer I use now didn't charge the use tax but back then I knew nothing about it.

Regarding tax being charged on transfers - the Wa State Department of Revenue only recently put FFL's on formal notice that the dealers are responsible for collecting tax on transfers. If you want to read about it, you can visit the DOR website (Department of Revenue), type in "firearm" in the search box, and it should be the first item listed in the search results. There's also a link to the flyer that was sent to all dealers.

I don't like the idea of paying tax on transfers any more than the rest of you do, but that said, I'm surprised that it took the state this long to force dealers to be "junior revenue agents", so to speak. I guess being broke can do that to government.....

Regarding tax being charged on transfers - the Wa State Department of Revenue only recently put FFL's on formal notice that the dealers are responsible for collecting tax on transfers. If you want to read about it, you can visit the DOR website (Department of Revenue), type in "firearm" in the search box, and it should be the first item listed in the search results. There's also a link to the flyer that was sent to all dealers.

I don't like the idea of paying tax on transfers any more than the rest of you do, but that said, I'm surprised that it took the state this long to force dealers to be "junior revenue agents", so to speak. I guess being broke can do that to government.....

Just because they now decided to squeeze us harder (Thanks, Christine Gregw.hore), doesn't make it right or make you have to put up with it.

Having been involved in gun business and having a FFL, Most gun dealers do not make a margin on firearms. IMHO, the distributors do. The local shop depending on a great many things, such as quantity of gun sold per/day/month, probably do not make much. If stores can not pay bill, pay the employees/owner etc, they will not stay in business. Set down and do a balance sheet, it does not have to be perfect, factor in the cost of doing business and what margin would it take to pay those cost including salary. Heck use minimum wage.

Obviously a consumer and store has a different interest in what the price is. Also being a free market kind of society, if you think you can do better, do it. What I look for is a fair price. How do I know what is fair, that is the hard part. There is more to a business than it's pricing structure. It has been my experience, that those who complain about how high prices are would probably complain how much they were loosing in their business.

Sometimes paying full retail and a little more is still cheaper than having a business and getting the product at wholesale. If you like the store, support it. They have got to make a reasonable living also.

Have any of you guys actually asked why some dealers charge about $50 for xfers? I have, and its mostly because thats really what they find the hassle to be worth, and most would rather not even do transfers. Ive known a few of the $15-20 xfer dealers have raised their prices due to bad experiences.

Is it as simple as you filling out a BGC, calling, paying, and leaving? NO! It may be that easy for you, but not for a dealer.

- They have to receive the package, which for the small guys that dont have a shop means waiting around for fedex/ups all day.
- They have to deal with packages not stating who or what the firearm is for.
- Have to hold and store the firearm for you.
- They have to (if a garage business) set up a time for you to drop by.
- They have to wait all day when you dont show up on time, or not at all
- Set up a new appointment, wait all day again...
- (if its a garage business) They have to invite a complete stranger into their home.
- You finally show up, do 4473, fingerprints, they call
- After you leave they have to write it in their books, and now they are responsible for the transfer, and any errors associated with it.

Granted this is just an example, some buyers are actually responsible and show up on time ect, but all it takes is a few bad dealings to change a dealers mind.

You do have the choice to choose who you like, but most shops arent charging high prices to take advantage of people, and most dont really care at all if you go to someone cheaper.

It can simply be phrased as this: Transfers, some dealers love em, some hate em. Their prices reflect this.

I don't know where you got that wrong information but Brightwater got hit for it several years ago. Mike had to pony up the taxes out of his funds. Some people did pay him back when they found out.

Eight U.S. Presidents have been NRA members. They are: Ulysses S. Grant,
Theodore Roosevelt, William Howard Taft, Dwight D. Eisenhower,
John F. Kennedy, Richard M. Nixon, Ronald Reagan and George Bush

80 MILLION gun owners didn't shoot anyone today, a few criminals did!

----------------------------------------------------------

The "Feedback Score" is low by 4, not everyone posts it I guess.

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
Washington Arms Collector member
South West Washington Arms Collector member

So what you are saying is doing a business out of your home is not working? You have no brick and mortar to really pay for. Noexpense except time? But it is your option.

There are people who will do it for alot less and see it as a potential business building activity.
So somewhere there is a disconnect. I keep going back to it is a hassle - so they charge a higher price.

Bet you when the internet sales tax goes into effect local shops will benefit greatly

Have any of you guys actually asked why some dealers charge about $50 for xfers? I have, and its mostly because thats really what they find the hassle to be worth, and most would rather not even do transfers. Ive known a few of the $15-20 xfer dealers have raised their prices due to bad experiences.

Is it as simple as you filling out a BGC, calling, paying, and leaving? NO! It may be that easy for you, but not for a dealer.

- They have to receive the package, which for the small guys that dont have a shop means waiting around for fedex/ups all day.
- They have to deal with packages not stating who or what the firearm is for.
- Have to hold and store the firearm for you.
- They have to (if a garage business) set up a time for you to drop by.
- They have to wait all day when you dont show up on time, or not at all
- Set up a new appointment, wait all day again...
- (if its a garage business) They have to invite a complete stranger into their home.
- You finally show up, do 4473, fingerprints, they call
- After you leave they have to write it in their books, and now they are responsible for the transfer, and any errors associated with it.

Granted this is just an example, some buyers are actually responsible and show up on time ect, but all it takes is a few bad dealings to change a dealers mind.

You do have the choice to choose who you like, but most shops arent charging high prices to take advantage of people, and most dont really care at all if you go to someone cheaper.

It can simply be phrased as this: Transfers, some dealers love em, some hate em. Their prices reflect this.

So what you are saying is doing a business out of your home is not working? You have no brick and mortar to really pay for. Noexpense except time? But it is your option.

There are people who will do it for alot less and see it as a potential business building activity.
So somewhere there is a disconnect. I keep going back to it is a hassle - so they charge a higher price.

Bet you when the internet sales tax goes into effect local shops will benefit greatly

No its still doing work if you're running an FFL out of your home. My point was that some dealers find it a hassle to do transfers. And really I think that the at home businesses are doing more work since they have to go out of their way to set up meetings with customers instead of having business hours where they are already there anyhow.

There is hassle and it takes just one or two to make it a big mistake. As it has been mentioned there are reasons to have a low transfer price just like there is a reason to charge more. There are also dealer who will not do it. For those who complain, get a FFL and get into the business, then you will find out that a $60 transfer is way cheaper than doing it yourself. Also business should be a relationship, support your local gunshop. That could improve the situation.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top