JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Caliber has nothing to do with this though, its stress under fire affecting shot placement. For self defense 9mm is plenty fine, the empirical evidence is overwhelming or it would not be the most popular pistol caliber in the world.
Frankly, I believe 9mm is the most popular because both the guns and ammo are cheaper and more readily available than any other. If .40 was significantly cheaper than 9mm, that'd probably be the top dog with the masses. Price is just about everything and most people can't shoot worth a darn anyway

Frankly, I believe 9mm is the most popular because both the guns and ammo are cheaper and more readily available than any other. If .40 was significantly cheaper than 9mm, that'd probably be the top dog with the masses. Price is just about everything and most people can't shoot worth a darn anyway
I think 9mm would still win due to capacity and weight, but thats an interesting idea... if cost were equalized which caliber would be most popular?

I think 9mm would still win due to capacity and weight, but thats an interesting idea... if cost were equalized which caliber would be most popular?
9mm. But I am biased. Haha. Given the choice, without the monetary element I personally would still choose 9mm. 17+ rounds, low recoil, easy follow up shots, and it simply is what I have the most time behind.

2 to the chest and 1 to the T box. Or you can change it up and go 2 to the chest and put a select number in the pelvic girdle.

Everyone has their own preference when it comes to caliber/gun/brand etc. I am fully confident in what I carry.

9mm. But I am biased. Haha. Given the choice, without the monetary element I personally would still choose 9mm.
My personal bias favors the 45acp is just a classic and more versitile caliber. But if I was forced to only keep one gun it would be the smallest compact 9mm because it would go anywhere hidden and Im not worried about the stopping power debate the 9 is just fine.

I have guns in both calibers, but I prefer the 45 ACP for defense and plain ol' plinking.
In the woods, its a 10 mm, though and its usually a Glock, primarily because I like having lots of bullets in the magazine in case I run into a bear, moose or sasquatch;)

In general there are more small guns in 45 acp, if you don't carry it then you leave it home.

Muzzle blast and recoil is more in a defense 10mm.

If the 10mm isn't loaded hot then it's just an expensive 40 cal.

Home Defense?
  1. 12 gauge #6 shot
  2. 223 with high frag rounds
  3. 45ACP
  4. 9mm

5. 10mm
Over-penetration is not your friend.
I did some tests back ~2000 to see how my bullets did. 9mm, 45 & 40S&W, all WWB FMJ from Walmrt, shot at 4 sheets of 17/32 OSB that was screwed together.
The 45 stopped in the 2nd sheet, the 9mm in the 3rd sheet, and the 40 went through all four.
#6 buck and fragmenting 223 has potential to under penetrate and only hurt the intruder. 00 buck and HP or SP 223/556 is the way to go IMO. In todays day and age a wounded intruder leads to the possibility of a lawsuit. Any ammo that won't go through Sheetrock probably won't penetrate skin either. I have a pellet gun that will shoot through Sheetrock but only let a red mark on my foot.

I've never heard of a situation where during a home invasion over penetration injured or killed an unintended victim. If you have, please post citations.

Please don't take my rebuttal defensively, I'm just offering an alternative opinion. IMO, if your rounds are getting stuck in the wall they are not capable of stopping an intruder. Scaring them, maybe.

Last Edited:
I was at the Albany Gun Show yesterday and came across a very nice S&W 610 (10mm) stainless revolver, almost bought it. Only reason I didn't was I was there looking for a 625 stainless revolver in 45. I'm weird and like shooting pistol chambered revolvers that take moon clips. Don't have to chase brass, and faster to reload with practice. So to the OP, I'd say get both calibers in semi auto and both in revolvers just to see what you like.

10mm
1. you can load it with giant bullets to make it fat and slow like the .45 but still more power and bigger wound channel
2. you can load it with small bullets and have a pocket rocket
3. it is great for man and beast
4. glocks will fire .40 cal directly in a 10mm in a boog situation
5. it really does not kick more than the .45acp
6. Carry more rounds in a mag in general
7. its a lil bubblegum detector because you will hear it is too snappy and then you know you don't like that person
8. Lehigh defense penetrater rounds with swiss cheese bank glass and soft armor in a boog situation

.45 acp
1. ammo usually cheaper if not loading your own
2. ammo more available
3. this is why I own it, 99% of 45acp rounds are subsonic so its great for really quiet suppressed shooting
4. you can put a .05" bigger entry hole in something and then realize that there are bigger bullets than .45 sooooo who cares about that.

I think this is a decent breakdown I would take a 10mm any day because of the versatility, with that said who cares.

10mm by far is better than "old, fat and slow".

There's plenty of 10mm running in the 1000 fps range that's pretty easy to shoot and more affordable than similar 45.

Want some punch? Sig 180 is advertised at 1250 fps. Or step up to Underwood for a real hoot.

The guns are similarly priced, with many new models popping up.

I sold my 45s many moons ago and have more and more 10s.

YMMV

10mm by far is better than "old, fat and slow".

There's plenty of 10mm running in the 1000 fps range that's pretty easy to shoot and more affordable than similar 45.

Want some punch? Sig 180 is advertised at 1250 fps. Or step up to Underwood for a real hoot.

The guns are similarly priced, with many new models popping up.

I sold my 45s many moons ago and have more and more 10s.

YMMV
AHEM! I like old, fat and slow... the .45 ACP is pretty cool too.

Paul Harrel did a 45 vs 10mm comparison on his famous "meat target" and the 10mm wasnt that much more effective.
My guess is the real advantage with the 10mm is its more effective at longer range....

Paul Harrel did a 45 vs 10mm comparison on his famous "meat target" and the 10mm wasnt that much more effective.
My guess is the real advantage with the 10mm is its more effective at longer range....
To be fair, MAC also did a video where by the numbers on a page, the upper limit on 10mm is to far out of reach from .45ACP and even the .45 super, it's not really much of a race. I'd imagine it extends the gap even more when put through PCCs

Of course, 10mm didn't kill any Nazis, so...

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top