JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Both are perfect in their own way...10mm is fast and awesome if loaded at the original Norma high end 200gr at 1250+, so you can reach out farther when needed. Someone said a 10mm has the same energy at 100yds as a 45auto does at the muzzle. Good hunting round too.

But, 45ACP is "tug boat" heavy and been stopping bad guys since 1911. I've had a few great pistols each of both and prefer 45ACP these days because it's a little easier on an arthritic wrist. Good luck :)

Which is better, why and so on. ?
there's about 40 years of intense discussion/bickering/claim&name calling over this very question.

Define "better" and tell us what you have in mind for using either of them.

I've been using 45acp for nearly half a century. The 10mm is a more recent addition. There's some things I really like about the 10mm. But it's not everything to everybody for every purpose. After all, what is?

380 ACP. It has more digits, is a higher number than 357, and if 007 used it, it had to be supercalifragilisticexpialidocious. :D

Seriously, if you're wondering which one to get and your pistol skills aren't top notch, get the 45 - it's easier to control. When you are advanced in skill and have much better control, add a 10mm (and a 41 Mag, 44 Mag, 500S&W, 50AE....) You get the point....

45acp vs 10mm Which is better, why and so on. ?
Not "better" only different and for slightly different purposes. Both are excellent defense cartridges. The ten is much higher pressure round and can be less pleasant to shoot with slightly longer follow up times. However, anything can be countered with training.

.45 ACP has better brass and bullet selection and availability, in general. The ten, after being almost dead, is enjoying a resurgence. If you like the ten, no reason not to.

there's about 40 years of intense discussion/bickering/claim&name calling over this very question.

Define "better" and tell us what you have in mind for using either of them.

I've been using 45acp for nearly half a century. The 10mm is a more recent addition. There's some things I really like about the 10mm. But it's not everything to everybody for every purpose. After all, what is?
Home defense mainly

45ACP aka boomer old school VS 10mm aka millennial hipster new.

Me?

22lr is the best, end of discussion, move along.

Love them both but 45 is quieter, makes a bigger hole, and unless you reload or have deep pockets it's tough to find good self defense ammo that lives up to 10mm, as I'd never buy self defense ammo from a euro company.

Personally, if I need more kill'em sauce than .45 then I'm grabbing a magnum wheelgun.

10mm is fun to shoot in an all-steel 1911 but not cooler than 45 (or 38 super, or 9x23 win, so...4th coolest).

I've got 9mm, .40, and 45ACP in the safe. I enjoy and shoot them all. Youngest son has a Glock in 10mm, which I've shot many times. I wouldn't volunteer to stand in front of any of them....:cool:

As far as which is "better", like many things in life, the right answer is "it depends"......

Home Defense?
  1. 12 gauge #6 shot
  2. 223 with high frag rounds
  3. 45ACP
  4. 9mm

5. 10mm
Over-penetration is not your friend.
I did some tests back ~2000 to see how my bullets did. 9mm, 45 & 40S&W, all WWB FMJ from Walmrt, shot at 4 sheets of 17/32 OSB that was screwed together.
The 45 stopped in the 2nd sheet, the 9mm in the 3rd sheet, and the 40 went through all four.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top