JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You can shoot 40 S&W in a 10mm pistol, so that should be taken into consideration. Between the two I'll stick with 9mm. I shoot it well and can follow up quickly. If I were a pistolero I might think otherwise, but I'm more of a rifleman and my pistol is what I use to get to my rifle if I'm not carrying concealed. For home defense it's either the KSG or an AR.

You can shoot 40 S&W in a 10mm pistol, so that should be taken into consideration. Between the two I'll stick with 9mm. I shoot it well and can follow up quickly. If I were a pistolero I might think otherwise, but I'm more of a rifleman and my pistol is what I use to get to my rifle if I'm not carrying concealed. For home defense it's either the KSG or an AR.
Looks like we are ksg brothers

Looks like we are ksg brothers
01206B9C-70B8-4D26-8FAE-43A11DF558A5.jpeg

Home Defense?
  1. 12 gauge #6 shot
  2. 223 with high frag rounds
  3. 45ACP
  4. 9mm

5. 10mm
Over-penetration is not your friend.
I did some tests back ~2000 to see how my bullets did. 9mm, 45 & 40S&W, all WWB FMJ from Walmrt, shot at 4 sheets of 17/32 OSB that was screwed together.
The 45 stopped in the 2nd sheet, the 9mm in the 3rd sheet, and the 40 went through all four.
^^^That depends on bullet construction. A 135gr JHP moving at 1400 fps is a major stopper and within normal FBI penetration requirements which state

If the bullets fail to penetrate 12-inches into the block, the FBI considers it a failure and unfit for fieldwork. On the other hand, penetrating past 18-inches yields a failure as well since it becomes an overpenetration risk.

As to the OP, they are two different rounds for two different purposes. I don't use either, 9mm and 44 mag cover those bases for me.

45acp vs 10mm Which is better, why and so on. ?
depends on if your worried about "lions tigers and bears oh my". if not, get the 45.

Ive been a huge fan of the 10 for [supposed] bear defense but over the years realize its maybe just marginally better but not enough to get excited about. Good ol 45acp FMJ does quite a number and is a way more versatile caliber. Plus you can convert a 45acp to 45SMC if you want more firepower out of a semi, and still shoot good ol 45acp.

but dont take my word for it...

All my life I have had a nearly obsessive aversion to metrics, so based on that, 45 acp is my answer. But also for several, and in my mind likely better, other reasons.
As an aside, and ironically, age now has me carrying a 9mm. To reconcile with that, I just think of it as a .355 parabellum.

I am a DIE HARD 1911 person. I have been VERY tempted to get at least one in 10mm for a good while. Have one PCC in this caliber and it is nice. Other stuff keeps coming up so I stick with the .45 for now. Every time I see yet another video of some "drug zombie" soaking up rounds from a service pistol and not going down I start looking at 10's again.

If one was to look at what the round was created to do one might get a better understanding of each ones particulars. The 45acp was made to break the charge of drug crazed hoards bent on destruction with knives and spears. This load is a 230gr bullet at about 850 fps. The 10mm was created to shoot thru both sides of a car to stop the bad guys on the other side. Both with a FMJ type bullet. The 45 acp round has been virtually unchanged for over 100 years while the 10 mm has two different loadings. One I call 40 and a half which is a 180gr bullet at 1150 fps. The other load is a 180gr bullet at 1300 fps and is the original loading. As you can see the 10mm is a more powerful cartridge in it's true form and that's the one I shoot in my Sig. If I want less than full power I don't mess with the 40 and a half I shoot 45 acp in a 1911.

I am a DIE HARD 1911 person. I have been VERY tempted to get at least one in 10mm for a good while. Have one PCC in this caliber and it is nice. Other stuff keeps coming up so I stick with the .45 for now. Every time I see yet another video of some "drug zombie" soaking up rounds from a service pistol and not going down I start looking at 10's again.
Mozambique drill.
If (EDIT: the defender) is tossing shots all over the neighborhood anyway, why not send that 3rd one toward the head?

Last Edited:
Mozambique drill.
If you are tossing shots all over the neighborhood anyway, why not send that 3rd one toward the head?
Oh believe me if I put a couple .45 CM and the freak does not stop I would aim higher for the next one. Head is as you know being an ex LEO, a hard shot to make though if the target is not holding still. I practice a lot on range days to try to get the high chest, like collar bone area. Have done it for a while both for the zombies and for some scum who may have soft armor on since many of them now are caught wearing it. I practice trying to put one up high and one down low. Figuring if I can hit the pelvic girdle maybe at least make the legs stop working so the creep at least hits the ground. Sure it will never happen to me but, it still spooks me every time I see these shootings were some scum who's brain is so turned off with dope they just will not go down when shot.:eek:

I edited my post to make it more generic. The LEO shootings I see are naturally chaotic with rounds going everywhere. Takes much practice, but we see how many are not taken down by 9s and even 40s. However, when they are moving toward you, they set themselves up.

Last Edited:
45ACP aka boomer old school VS 10mm aka millennial hipster new.

Me?

22lr is the best, end of discussion, move along.
This is like an AA meeting: Hi, my name is Rich and I also consider the 22LR as a home defense weapon.
So Reno, I hope you were serious. Otherwise, fellow members, please contain your laughter. I have a 9 shot
old H & R loaded with hollow points for my night stand. My wife uses a 38 on her side. Other weapons
throughout the home are 38's. I have many choices from the 22LR to 41 Mag in pistols, including a bunch
of 9mm's and 40's. Rifles are from 22LR through 300 Win Mag. And I seleted on the 22 because other people,
my kids, are often in the house. I don't live in the country so I have neighbors. A 22 hollow point anywhere
is gonna hurt and I suggest stop further aggression. I had chances to kill people when in the Army and I'm
glad I never knew for sure if one of mine took some other guy out. I just don't need that feeling.

I edited my post to make it more generic. The LEO shootings I see are naturally chaotic with rounds going everywhere. Takes much practice, but we see how many are not taken down by 9s and even 40s. However, when they are moving toward you, they set themselves up.
You bet! Many have NO idea what its like to shoot at a target that is also shooting at you. Not like trying to hit paper. See a lot of scary shoots where several LEO's open up on some scum and miss a lot. Every time I see one I wonder where the hell did all those rounds go :eek:
Of course for me what scares me is the zombies coming at some Cop who soak up hits and act like nothing is happening almost. Makes me wonder when I am caring one of my small guns instead of a .45. If it was scum armed with only a knife? I would be tempted to go for the face when I was only carrying something small. Chances are slim it will ever happen again to me at my age now and that's great to me. If I shuffle off never having to again fire at anything other than paper I will be happy :D

The LEO shootings I see are naturally chaotic with rounds going everywhere. Takes much practice, but we see how many are not taken down by 9s and even 40s. However, when they are moving toward you, they set themselves up.
Caliber has nothing to do with this though, its stress under fire affecting shot placement. For self defense 9mm is plenty fine, the empirical evidence is overwhelming or it would not be the most popular pistol caliber in the world.

44acp is more common. You can walk in to any store and its highly likely they will 45acp, 9mm 12g 22lr 308 30-06 223

There is always going to be a new sex round

10mm is a fine round and I have often been tempted to buy one (10mm XDm 3.8" barrel) as a woods gun.

But for self defense IMO anything hotter than .45acp +p is overkill and I can't really justify it. If I can't defend myself with one of my .45acp's I doubt a 10mm would really make that much real life difference... you either score a hit or you don't. The internet is full of all sorts of hypothetical scenarios where a 10mm would save my life where a .45acp wouldn't.. but to me they are just a bunch of hypothetical scenarios. I have a very hard time actually envisioning ever shooting at a real person more than 10 yards away from me. I am not a cop, I am not in the military, I am not duty bound to intervein and inject myself into a violent situation. My duty to myself and my family is to remove myself from dangerous situations.

I always thought it would be fun to have a big boomer semi auto for doing destruction at the range and really considered a 10mm or a .460 Rowland... I ended up just getting a light weight 5" DesertEagle L5 in 50ae instead... it is a lot of fun! I can't really justify a tweener more powerful than a .45acp +p but less powerful than a .50ae (or .44mag with my second barrel).

If you have a nice 10mm, I am jealous! But not jealous enough to fork over my money to purchase one... yet.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top