JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
On a rare occasion where they actually allowed reserve spooks to fire side arms I qualified Sharpshooter on an armory 1911 in the 1980s. First time I ever shot a 1911. Says as much about the pistol as it says about my pistol experience at the time which was probably less than 300 rounds in .38 special and .22 lr.
The funny thing is people still run the 1911 as an Edc or military pistol. Not a lot of folks running Webleys, Lugers, etc. these days for same. IMHO it's about making the first, second round really count, not throwing a wall of lead, but then I am no gunfighter and plan on staying that way Lord willing. Getting shot in any caliber no doubt sucks.

Brutus out.

After the Clackamas Town Center food court event I got a CC.
Trial$ and error$ and time. I settled on a Crossbreed IWB.
Inside, a G27 (40SW).
Not the fastest draw. !!!BUT!!! The round goes where I want it to go.
I stuff 9 rounds in the mag.
Don't expect to empty the mag.

A recent post showed a LEO shooting a perp about 15 times.
Being an old fart, my hand gets tired just thinking about all that...

If I had a nickel for every 45v9mm thread, I would have enough $ to buy at least one of each.
With modern ammo, shoot whatever YOU shoot best and don't worry about it.

Same reason people hate .40 it's more expensive. And accuracy will beat power anytime.
A .22 to the head can put you down. For good.
A .50 cal missing by a foot will get you killed

I would rather have a 9mm that I can practice more with because I can afford more ammo.

OK. good feedback.

It is a 44magnum. But I only carry two 8-round magazines? Will this be enough?
What If somebody else calls me an under armed fool! Because it's not a 50AE?

Will it still work with out there approval?
Man! This is sooooooo intense.

View attachment 255424

As long as you buy a second for your other hand or backup you should be ok for up to 1 or 2 attackers at best.

You will need a 12ga ontop of your two pistols to make sure you can handle a third drug fueled raged out attacker.

Talk to ER Docs and Surgeons and they will tell you: They cannot tell which people were shot with a .45 versus shot by .40 versus shot by 9mm. The wounds are not appreciably different with pistols in standard pistol calibers.

If you want more capacity, carry a smaller caliber so your magazines hold more bullets (or be prepared for more weight on your belt), If you want a bigger BOOM!, then carry a larger caliber, but be prepared for more reloading (inconvenient in the gunfight sometimes) and less magazine capacity.

By and large, people shot with pistols run away. People shot with rifles die.

A lot of people buy 9mm because it is cheaper to shoot, holds more bullets, is generally easier to conceal, and when used accurately, puts bad guys to rest just the same as a larger caliber.

Everything is a trade off.

9mm, .40, .45 - all work for me. I have reasons I like each caliber. I also like having options when ammo becomes scarce. Post SH taught me a little lesson in that. I hadn't kept much extra ammo on hand and had to reduce my range time considerably. The only ammo I was consistently finding was .40, but didn't have a .40 gun to shoot it.

Now, I've got a bit more ammo on hand and I'm learning to reload, but if it comes down to it again (really when, not if), I like to know I can carry/shoot what's still available.

Talk to ER Docs and Surgeons and they will tell you: They cannot tell which people were shot with a .45 versus shot by .40 versus shot by 9mm. The wounds are not appreciably different with pistols in standard pistol calibers.

If you want more capacity, carry a smaller caliber so your magazines hold more bullets (or be prepared for more weight on your belt), If you want a bigger BOOM!, then carry a larger caliber, but be prepared for more reloading (inconvenient in the gunfight sometimes) and less magazine capacity.

By and large, people shot with pistols run away. People shot with rifles die.

A lot of people buy 9mm because it is cheaper to shoot, holds more bullets, is generally easier to conceal, and when used accurately, puts bad guys to rest just the same as a larger caliber.

Everything is a trade off.

Blah blah blah, size doesnt matter, doctors say there are only nerves in the first three inches.....

J/K

Same reason people hate .40 it's more expensive. And accuracy will beat power anytime.
A .22 to the head can put you down. For good.
A .50 cal missing by a foot will get you killed

I would rather have a 9mm that I can practice more with because I can afford more ammo.

I shoot a 40S&W better than any round so I sold them all the others (9mm and 45) and bought 2 XDM40's. It works for me so find out what works for you and get on with life, no need for haters.;)

IMO all the talk of wanting more power than a 9mm than choosing a 45acp makes zero sense to me. The 10mm is actually a jump in power compared to 9mm where 45acp is not, so I can see a point to the 10mm. For a defensive pistol I would recommend 9mm or 45acp, with 10mm used as a woods gun. I happed to use 9mm but certainly don't hate the 45acp. I have no use for .380, 357 sig, .40S&W or 45 GAP.

I think a more appropriate thread would be "Why do people think the 45acp is the end-all, be-all death ray?" Because it is not.

I could not agree more. All my concealed carry guns are 9mm although modern defensive ammo in .40 SW and 45 ACP kind of makes it a wash. They are all good fairly even choices. But for an actual step up in firepower 10mm is my go to.

Again Brassfetcher is not your regular you tube hack,he actually does ballistic tests for LOE departments.I think this link is to about seven if you let it run.
He only does 1 test between the 2 that the 45 round was a better choice than the 9. Otherwise because of the capacity,the 9mm was the suggested round

Can we beat this dead horse for a few more days???:D

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads