JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Well I got boarded and made a set of 45 acp dies for making shot shell.

They use 308 cases necked an cut down.

.410 wad

Right know I am working up a load for them. But don't have it right yet.

Has anyone loaded 45acp shot shells? and if so What powder did you use?

I have found data on Win 231 but I can not find any up here were I live.

308 case necked down

This is one of the cooler things I've seen in a while....what brand die did you use? You cut down a re-sizing, and crimp die, correct? How'd you do it? Lathe? Were there any other changes made?

IIRC, the CCI shotshells use a clear disk on top of the shot. Have you considered using something like a .44 black powder wad to ensure you retain the shot?

I couldn't venture a guess on powder/load, but it would seem to me that a faster buring powder might be called for because of the slickness of the .410 wad and realitive lightweight. It'll be pushed out the barrel a helluva lot easier than a 230 gr FMJ or LRN...

Thanks I found a set of prints an tried making it.
I didn't use any dies, those are 3 7/8-14 grade 8 bolts.
Everything was tuned on my lathe. Took a few hours to build but not bad.
Made a punch to cut my own shot covers out of transparency paper, they work great.
I have not played with the shell lately trying to get some powder right know.

Heh, I actually have an original set of the RCBS shotshell dies I found at a yard sale for $10. There's a note in it that talks about what the guy who used them before me did. I'll dig it out and photocopy the note.

You can also use .44 Auto-Rim, but good luck finding some of that brass just laying around. Also, .45 WinMag is another brass you can use. Again, good luck just finding some laying around, it is available from starline for about .50c apiece.

Well I got boarded and made a set of 45 acp dies for making shot shell.

They use 308 cases necked an cut down.

.410 wad

Right know I am working up a load for them. But don't have it right yet.

Has anyone loaded 45acp shot shells? and if so What powder did you use?

I have found data on Win 231 but I can not find any up here were I live.

Larry65 wrote 7-22-2012: I bought the .45 ACP RCBS dies and loaded them according to specifications. They fired but would not eject. I kept increasing the powder charge (I believe I used Unique) by 0.1 grain increments with no change. I finally cut the .308 case in half vertically and I noted the .308 was thicker therefore would not cool down as quickly as the standard .45 case therefore would hang in the barrel. I started reducing the recommended charge by 0.1 grain increments and finally hit the right combination and they fired & ejected perfectly. Instead of a wad on top I used a 00 buck and crimped it in place just enough to hold it securely. It patterned within about 12" circle at 15 yards and the 00 buck was pretty close to the center, most of the time. I suspect it might make a decent self defense load with little penetration beyond the bad guy. I believe it was in a Guns & Ammo magazine about 30-35 years ago had an article entitled the Malaya load or Buck and Ball loads for the .45. It gave the specifications of materials to use. This is as close as I can get because my home flooded out 2-3 years ago and I have not been able to locate hardly any of my reloading equipment or reference materials. I make no warranties on the above just what worked for me. Good luck.

I have seen Mil Spec rounds like the ones you are talking about used in the jungle in the 60's if I remember the write up right.It was a 45acp shot shell with a 00 bb in the end. I think they also had some that were 2 or 3 ball.

Handloader # 80 had an article with load data, as well as American Rifleman in the late 1970s and early 1980s. I will dig in the archives.
.308 brass needs to be used for the correct extractor groove cut. .30-06 brass, and its derivatives, has a thin extractor groove, and can cause extractor failures in an autoloader.

These loads fired in a revolver, will often cause complete lockup due to setback of the fired case.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top