Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

45 acp shot from a Long Colt Pistol?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by dynaglydr, May 2, 2013.

1. dynaglydr

dynaglydr Portland,OR New Member

A guy I met yesterday who says he shoots 45acp ammo out of his pistol that is designed to shoot 45 long colts. WTF? He says he does it all the time cause the longs are more expensive. He said it's like shooting a 38 special from a 357 or something like that.

I think he's ruining the gun but what do I know?

2. BAMCIS

BAMCIS Eugene Well-Known Member

Probably uses "half moon clips".

3. 1stIDFMP

1stIDFMP North of Salem, south of Portland Active Member

Does he have 2 cylinders, like a Ruger?

4. dynaglydr

dynaglydr Portland,OR New Member

From what I gathered was the cyliders are for Long colts. that's all I know.

5. Botte Hork

Botte Hork Camas WA Well-Known Member

I'm looking at a S&W Governor, which shoots .410 shotshell, but also 45 long colt and 45 ACP, and the 45 ACP sits in there with the moon clips that BAMCIS mentioned, so he probably has something like that. I guess the rounds otherwise would slide down the cilinder. So unless you've got ultrasensitive primer and mostly shoot in the air, you'll probably need some mechanical assistance. I do think it would work though. Especially since the rounds are lower pressured.

6. Botte Hork

Botte Hork Camas WA Well-Known Member

OK, my bad. I thought the moon clips were to avoid sliding around. Thank you, I'll also check some pictures online to understand it a bit better :)

7. fyrediver

fyrediver Seattle Active Member

TK Custom is a company that machines out the cylinders to accept full moon clips so you can shoot 9mm from a 38, 45 acp from a 45 LC etc.

They got a great review from Jeff Quinn at Gunblast.com. I've been thinking about getting a .357 revolver and having it machined so I can shoot .357, .38, and 9mm. Don't need one though, but still thinking of getting one!

Welcome to TK Custom.com & Moonclips.com

8. MarkAd

MarkAd Port Orchard Well-Known Member

get your minds right. It is not Long Colt. It is 45 Colt.

carracer, mjbskwim, mac9990 and 5 others like this.
  9. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

Jeff Quin = gun magazine = You pay me,I say what you tell me to say
    Stopped watching him long ago

10. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

Well we is talkin' about the 2 calibers that coined the phrase 'long colt'

11. salmonriverjohn

salmonriverjohn N.W Oregon coast, Gods country Well-Known Member

Thanks MarkAd, that's one I try and point out to folks quite often. There ain't no such critter. I've read it in articles in top end gun rags being written by people that should know better, but somehow it still slips in there from time to time.

12. AMProducts

AMProducts Maple Valley, WA Jerk, Ammo Manufacturer Silver Supporter

So if you guys want to get deep in the weeds... the reason it's often called ".45 Long Colt" is at the time it was being manufactured in large numbers was during the indian wars, at that time, smith and wesson was also producing another revolver which due to patents, had to be chambered differently, and it was called the .45 Schofield.

Now, a .45 colt can fire .45 schofield, but not vice-versa. So what would happen, when the quartermaster was ordering more ammo, he would say ".45 Long Colt" to make sure he was getting "the long one, not the short one" as correcting an ordering problem when it took days or weeks to get more ammunition in a combat situation. Now the name stuck, and the .45 schofield fell into obscurity.

13. salmonriverjohn

salmonriverjohn N.W Oregon coast, Gods country Well-Known Member

I'm aware of that too, but thanks for the 'long' side of it for those that didn't;)

andreys21 and (deleted member) like this.
  14. carracer

carracer Nampa, Idaho Active Member

As long as I don't get the "short" end.

andreys21 and (deleted member) like this.