JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Sometimes a load will pass a test with a Dillon case gauge but then not fully chamber and the slide will not close. This is why it is important to plunk test with YOUR barrel whenever loading a new-to-you bullet that may have a different ogive.

This. Would even recommend using an EGW case gauge over the Dillon, have had great luck in several .45ACP caliber pistols checking finished rounds with the EGW gauge, run like a Top! Taking the time to do it saves frustration at the range or during a match. Cheers

In general, I've found the longer the loaded round the better it feeds in .45 ACP. Of course it needs to fulfill the following:

1. It must fit the magazine.
2. There needs to be enough bullet in the case for proper tension (which could be a problem with the old Speer 200gr "Flying Ashtrays" … which I wish were still made but I digress).
3. It fits the chamber (plunk test or gauge, prefer the plunk test for a number of reasons).

T Taking the time to do it saves frustration at the range or during a match. Cheers

Not familiar with EGW. Glad to hear they are better than Dillon. Where to find and what is the price?

I agree. I have always checked each and every load before putting my reloads away. However, many things can still go wrong... I no longer use reloads for match play. Doesn't mean there will never be a malfunction, but it sure reduces the instances. Can't afford the time penalty for load failures during a match. Can take one out of top position and seat you firmly in the middle, or even the bottom. :)

...sorry no idea what a "plunk test" is, but, this is what I use before certifying the ammo as ready to use...

You drop either a loaded round, or dummy, at the oal your going to load, into the chamber of the removed barrel. At the same time give it a little push as you drop it with you index finger. If it goes"PLUNK", (that's the sound of the rim of the round hitting bottom). Then turn the barrel upside down, if the round falls out, you're good. I make three different OALs in 9mm (I know,I know, waste of time loading 9mm blah, blah) because we have two handguns that have chambers that won't "Plunk" with the OALs from the book with the bullets I use.

Seems to me, for hand gun anyway, the plunk test is better than a bunch of $16.00 case gauges.

You drop either a loaded round, or dummy, at the oal your going to load, into the chamber of the removed barrel. At the same time give it a little push as you drop it with you index finger. If it goes"PLUNK", (that's the sound of the rim of the round hitting bottom). Then turn the barrel upside down, if the round falls out, you're good. I make three different OALs in 9mm (I know,I know, waste of time loading 9mm blah, blah) because we have two handguns that have chambers that won't "Plunk" with the OALs from the book with the bullets I use.

Seems to me, for hand gun anyway, the plunk test is better than a bunch of $16.00 case gauges.

I load all my 9mm, it's true factory 9mm is cheap, but I like 124 gr which is harder to find cheap, and i actually buy JHPs, so all my 9mm is 124 JHP, foesnt cost as much as you would think.

Not familiar with EGW. Glad to hear they are better than Dillon. Where to find and what is the price?

EGW = Evolution Gun Works
6 and 7 Hole Checkers: EGW Gun Parts

They run $20 for a 7 hole .45ACP Chamber Checker. Can purchase other common pistol calibers, as well as checkers for both rifle and shotgun loads as well.

Had some feeding problems when checking .40S&W loads with the Dillon Case Gauge. Switched over to using the EGW Chamber Checker, no problems. I think the specs of the Dillon may be too "loose", compared to the EGW version.

Hope this helps! Cheers -

Figure their measurement as the minimum length. Anything shorter and pressures increase. Maximum is limited by chamber and magazine.

… Seems to me, for hand gun anyway, the plunk test is better than a bunch of $16.00 case gauges.

I totally agree with this. Case gauges are made to SAMMI minimum specs but very few chambers are. Additionally they assume a common bullet profile. So, if you are wanting to load rounds that will fit in ANY gun, then okay these make sense. However you still may have chambering problems with some profiles of bullets and the universal case gauge will not show this.

By 'plunking" the round in the actual chamber that will be used to fire the round, you are assured it will function both in regards to case dimensions and bullet seating depth / profile. You also can play with variables such as trim length and bullet seating depth and be assured the round will properly chamber.

Besides, using the actual barrel rather then buying a dedicated case gauge means one less thing to buy and then store between uses, saving money and space.

Just my take … cheers!

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads