JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
.45 ACP
Accurate #5 Powder
X-treme 230 .451 bullets
CCI Small Primer
Blazer Brass Casings

Western Powder & others provide a COL of 1.237.

SAAMI provides the minimum of 1.190 and a maximum of 1.275.

1) How should I read the 1.237 they provide, as the minimum or maximum?
2) Since the SAAMI range is so vast should I presume that it's safe as long as they fall within that range?
3) The X-Treme bullets are copper plated RN. There is never any mention of this manufactures bullets in various powder manuals. Is there a type that matches/comparable (ie. FMJ)?

Any input on a good loaded length range for 45 ACP is appreciated.

note: The factory Blazer Brass bullets have a COL of 1.264

Also: I accidentally posted this same question in the wrong forum so sorry for the duplicate.

I just measured a .45 ACP round of mine with a Laser Cast 200 GR RN bullet and the OAL is 1.269. Old school 'Rule of thumb' however with .45 RN bullets is to simply seat them with approximately 1/32" of he 'shoulder' above the rim of the case and they should shoot in almost any 1911.

.45 ACP is a low pressure round. I don't think it much matters what OAL you use within the SAAMI numbers as long as it chambers (plunk test) and fits in the magazine. The rule about that RVtech stated I'd never heard of, makes sense though. Depending on what the profile of the projectile is..round nose, semi wad cutter, hollow point, BIG hollow in the point( flying ashtray) you may need to adjust OAL if you have chambering problems.

You need to load for individual guns (more important in rifle accuracy).
what works great in Ruger p-90 won't fit in a Glock.
Different nose profiles may plunk OK but have difficulties feeding in some firearms.
Factory ammo is generally loaded short and light to work in the most firearms of that caliber.
[my 2¢ worth]

Xtreme bullets are a usually considered softer than jacketed. However I've never had a problem using the load data for jacketed bullets when loading plated. I won't say they are interchangeable, but to each their own with reloading.

I will try this again:

Xtreme sends a sheet with their plated boolitts that says they can be loaded up just like a standard lead bullet, with sometimes a little more powder. I use the Lasercast manual, which shows an OAL of 1.260 for 230gr RN.

Sometimes a load will pass a test with a Dillon case gauge but then not fully chamber and the slide will not close. This is why it is important to plunk test with YOUR barrel whenever loading a new-to-you bullet that may have a different ogive.

(Note: if mod delete this again, please PM me as to why!)

I was referring ONLY to RN bullets that have the slight 'shoulder' before the ogive. If the bullet has no shoulder then it can be seated wherever is necessary for proper OAL.

Don't all bullets have a shoulder? Except wad cutters that is.

Nope - some only have the standard 'flat' and then start to round out smoothly toward the tip with no 'shoulder'

Isn't there going to be a shoulder there? Not trying to be a richard here. Really.

EDIT: Going to my bullets to check them now, for shoulders.:D

I guess my Rainier hollow points have a distinct shoulder. But the Spitzer 140gr bullets for the Swede there's not a distinct shoulder. I'll not take the thread further into the weeds now, sorry OP. :cool:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top