Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

44 Special - 44 Magnum question

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by brokenarrow, Aug 17, 2015.

1. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Elma, WA Well-Known Member

I have a question in regards to reloading dies. Are the 44 special and 44 magnum compatible as the 38 - 357 are. I acquired a bunch of dies and am in the process of sorting out ones I may be able to use and figured this was a good place to get an answer.

2. Mikej

Mikej Portland Gold Supporter Gold Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

They certainly should be.....The .44 mag case is only and 1/8" (I believe) longer than the .44 special. It's just a matter of backing the die out a few turns for the .44 mag from the .44 special for the roll crimp. Unless there's some real old dies you've got that are only tall enough to do .44 special?

3. Benchrest

Benchrest The Desert Planet Well-Known Member

What Mikej said - At least that's the way it is with my 38spl/.357 & 40S&W/10MM dies.

4. brokenarrow

That's what I thought. It's all in the adjustment. Sending them to my brother and wanted to be sure for once! Thanks for the prompt reply.

5. ma96782

ma96782 Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

If I recall correctly.......

RCBS had "some special washers/spacers" that could be put between the die's locking nut and the press. It would act as an automatic spacer when switching between the .38 Special and .357 Mag settings. The case length difference between them is 1/8". It's the same difference (1/8") for the .44 Special and .44 Mag. So, they could be used for both.

Aloha, Mark

Last edited: Aug 17, 2015
  6. Benchrest

Benchrest The Desert Planet Well-Known Member

Saving having to adjust the dies, yes, I remember reading about these magical devices.

7. Dyjital

Dyjital Albany, Ore Flavorite Member Bronze Supporter

Yes they are interchangeable.

The sizer/decapper will be the same height from SPL to Mag.

The difference of course will be the bullet seater because you want to crimp so you will need to raise/lower the die in the threads. Most say about 2 full turns will change the distance on .357/38 but I haven't looked on the .44Mag/SPL. You could calculate that easily though if you know the case lengths VS the thread pitch of the dies. Sorry I'm too lazy to do that right now or I would do it.

8. brokenarrow

You did enough! Thanks.

9. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member