JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a question in regards to reloading dies. Are the 44 special and 44 magnum compatible as the 38 - 357 are. I acquired a bunch of dies and am in the process of sorting out ones I may be able to use and figured this was a good place to get an answer.

They certainly should be.....The .44 mag case is only and 1/8" (I believe) longer than the .44 special. It's just a matter of backing the die out a few turns for the .44 mag from the .44 special for the roll crimp. Unless there's some real old dies you've got that are only tall enough to do .44 special?

If I recall correctly.......

RCBS had "some special washers/spacers" that could be put between the die's locking nut and the press. It would act as an automatic spacer when switching between the .38 Special and .357 Mag settings. The case length difference between them is 1/8". It's the same difference (1/8") for the .44 Special and .44 Mag. So, they could be used for both.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
If I recall correctly.......

RCBS had "some special washers/spacers" that could be put between the die's locking nut and the press. It would act as an automatic spacer when switching between the .38 Special and .357 Mag settings.

Aloha, Mark

Saving having to adjust the dies, yes, I remember reading about these magical devices.

Yes they are interchangeable.

The sizer/decapper will be the same height from SPL to Mag.

The difference of course will be the bullet seater because you want to crimp so you will need to raise/lower the die in the threads. Most say about 2 full turns will change the distance on .357/38 but I haven't looked on the .44Mag/SPL. You could calculate that easily though if you know the case lengths VS the thread pitch of the dies. Sorry I'm too lazy to do that right now or I would do it.

Yes they are interchangeable.

The sizer/decapper will be the same height from SPL to Mag.

The difference of course will be the bullet seater because you want to crimp so you will need to raise/lower the die in the threads. Most say about 2 full turns will change the distance on .357/38 but I haven't looked on the .44Mag/SPL. You could calculate that easily though if you know the case lengths VS the thread pitch of the dies. Sorry I'm too lazy to do that right now or I would do it.
You did enough! Thanks.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads