JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Performance is one thing. Safety is another.

Let me start by saying that .40 in an inherently dangerous caliber to reload. Older Glocks with minimal case head support would KB frequently, as well as other .40's. I have seen more .40 KB's than any other caliber.

Titegroup takes only a few grains to charge a .40 - Therefore it is very easy to double charge/ overcharge and then you have a bomb in your hand!

I prefer Bluedot because the charge I use is 9.5 to 10.5 grains - Thus filling the case so that an overcharge is easily detected by doing a visual before seating.

I am fond of my fingers, hands, face. I would like to keep them intact.

I like the caliber, and have reloaded many thousands of rounds without incident. I would also suggest you use a ring carbide sizing die, where the brass is completely pushed through a sizing ring. Thus removing case head bulge, as well as the added benefit of de-burring the case rim of extractor burr's. Removing the possible case bulge greatly improves safety also - ensuring reliable feeding and lock up in battery before detonation occurs.

My 2 cents............
I don't know that .40 is more dangerous than any other caliber. You can blame every kaboom, Glock or otherwise on reloader error. They got lazy and weren't paying attention when they were reloading and that will blow up your Glock, 1911 or 686 every time.
You must pay attention to what you're doing while reloading. It's as simple as that. Make sure the case is in good shape. Make sure you're using the right powder, the right primer and for God's sake the right charge of powder and only charge that case once!!! Every so often pull a charged case out of the line and weigh that powder charge to be sure its still correct. If not you may have to dump them all and do it again . Frustrating yes, but keeping your eyes, face and hands and of course, your gun, intact is worth it.

Remember--When in doubt, throw them out.;)

Last Edited:
Performance is one thing. Safety is another.

Let me start by saying that .40 in an inherently dangerous caliber to reload. Older Glocks with minimal case head support would KB frequently, as well as other .40's. I have seen more .40 KB's than any other caliber.

It is no more dangerous than any other caliber that is reloaded, it's the reloader that must pay attention to every detail.
Glock's minimal chamber support is a design flaw IMHO. Hmmmm.

Titegroup takes only a few grains to charge a .40 - Therefore it is very easy to double charge/ overcharge and then you have a bomb in your hand!

I just started using TiteGroup and while it calls for less powder per charge than others like LongShot or CFEPistol which use twice the amount of powder but again, the reloader has to be diligent in his ability to load safely.

I prefer Bluedot because the charge I use is 9.5 to 10.5 grains - Thus filling the case so that an overcharge is easily detected by doing a visual before seating.

I enlist an LED light on my presses to aid seeing what's happening, the powder check is the main function I thrive for perfection.

I am fond of my fingers, hands, face. I would like to keep them intact.

I'm thinking we all do so we all must load responsibly, be vigilant and have no distractions while loading

I like the caliber, and have reloaded many thousands of rounds without incident. I would also suggest you use a ring carbide sizing die, where the brass is completely pushed through a sizing ring. Thus removing case head bulge, as well as the added benefit of de-burring the case rim of extractor burr's. Removing the possible case bulge greatly improves safety also - ensuring reliable feeding and lock up in battery before detonation occurs.

I agree wholeheartedly with this paragraph.;)

I process (clean for sale) many thousands of range pickup brass per year.
All the 40S&W I come across I inspect that has case bulge goes into the "for sale" bags and the rest I dump into a 20mm ammo can go future use. That being said, I've had a lot of range pickups that did not pass the chamber test after loading since I don't use a bulge buster die.

My 2 cents............

Expand the quote for my rebuttal.;)

Don't believe the memes... :D:D:D

8683D235-2B23-4BBF-BC2C-3F08C4EB727D.png BA63B1A3-854F-4182-81D2-95A4915C22E2.jpeg

I don't know that .40 is more dangerous than any other caliber. You can blame every kaboom, Glock or otherwise on reloader error. They got lazy and weren't paying attention when they were reloading and that will blow up your Glock, 1911 or 686 every time.
You must pay attention to what you're doing while reloading. It's as simple as that. Make sure the case is in good shape. Make sure you're using the right powder, the right primer and for God's sake the right charge of powder and only charge that case once!!! Every so often pull a charged case out of the line and weigh that powder charge to be sure its still correct. If not you may have to dump them all and do it again . Frustrating yes, but keeping your eyes, face and hands and of course, your gun, intact is worth it.

Remember--When in doubt, throw them out.;)

My sentiments exactly, well said Sir.;)

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads