JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a few 45s (Remington R1 1911, Para Expert Stainless 1911, Auto Ordinance WWII 1911, and a Kahr CW45), Now I'm looking for a carry-able 40 S&W barrel under 4", holds over 10 rounds, with some kind of external safety ei thumb safety and under $600 I've been looking around and there are a lot of choices M&P 40C, Taurus G2 24/7C, Springfield XD 40C, Glock..... the list goes on. What do you guys think? What have you carried?

I like my M&P 40c. It is nice. I'm trying to trade it though for a compact/sub compact .45 to consolidate calibers.

Sent from my LG Optimus Elite using Tapatalk 2

I have a Glock 27 and it conceals great. What I dont like is it can get squirrly in my hands when firing and I end up with a nasty case of slide bite.

Another vote for the Glock 27. Hell I've got it in my pocket right meow at work... surrounded by people who would give me a liberal beatdown for having one on me.

No one ever knows, and it's a great gun that eats everything and is more than accurate enough :)

Ruger SR40c. They have great recoil spring assemblies and a low bore, so they have little muzzle rise. They also have the thumb safety you're looking for, they carry easily, and they have very good triggers for striker fired offerings.

I would go with a Smith 4003, if those were my requirements. Fairly light, .40, safety, 11 round mags and a no excuses great trigger. I toted a 3913 before I got my P938, and it is a heck of a gun. Sadly no longer in production for civilians, there are a good number of them out there. There are more 4006s (the all stainless version) out there, but they weigh a good 10oz more. Too heavy for me....

If my Shield weighs 19oz I'm sure the 4006 weighs quite a bit more, 30 or more oz is more like it. I wish I had one though just because of how well they are made.

I would go with a Smith 4003, if those were my requirements. Fairly light, .40, safety, 11 round mags and a no excuses great trigger. I toted a 3913 before I got my P938, and it is a heck of a gun. Sadly no longer in production for civilians, there are a good number of them out there. There are more 4006s (the all stainless version) out there, but they weigh a good 10oz more. Too heavy for me....

If my Shield weighs 19oz I'm sure the 4006 weighs quite a bit more, 30 or more oz is more like it. I wish I had one though just because of how well they are made.

The aluminum frame 4003 (like my 3913) weighs 28oz, the all stainless 4006 is a solid 38. They are a brick! That said, they are rock solid, and essentially indestructible. Sadly, the 4003 seems much more difficult to get ahold of....

My wife said I was crazy when I said I was selling my full size M&P to buy a shield but, I absolutely love it. Small, easy to conceal accurate at close range and a powerhouse of .40

Get rid of the 10 round issue and get a shield. I have been carrying one for the last month and really like it, probably should do a write up.

I forgot to mention... I also own a Taurus PT740slim along with my G27.

It's got great features that I wish other companies would follow suit with. It's SA/DA, with a scissor safety, and a real safety. It's also a really long trigger pull for safe carry in your pocket, but when it's in single action mode the trigger pull is very very soft for the first 80% of the pull and the resistance is at the end, making it easy to shoot while still having a lot of the safety afforded to you by a long trigger pull.

Unfortunately... the one I bought didn't function right and would sometimes not fire no matter how hard you pulled on a follow up shot, and then sometimes would discharge right as you release the trigger and give up on that trigger pull... which basically negates it from usage as a self defense weapon.

Mine has been out for three weeks now to Taurus and radio silence about the gun... so uh... purchase cautiously?

The XD 40SC is a really nice 3 inch barrel pistol but I would guess all the major mfgs are good to go. It is just the fit in you hand that would be the determining factor.

Another vote for the Glock 27. Hell I've got it in my pocket right meow at work... surrounded by people who would give me a liberal beatdown for having one on me.

No one ever knows, and it's a great gun that eats everything and is more than accurate enough :)

How can you carry a double stack in a pocket? If I have my PM9 in a Desantis in my front pocket, it screams "gun". I have big legs. But I can't imagine any double stack in a front pocket. I have no trouble IWB in shorts and polo shirt.

How can you carry a double stack in a pocket? If I have my PM9 in a Desantis in my front pocket, it screams "gun". I have big legs. But I can't imagine any double stack in a front pocket. I have no trouble IWB in shorts and polo shirt.

I can also carry my wifes G27 in my front pocket, just looks like I have a big wallet in there.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top