JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Rugers were mentioned a few times; I've had no experience with the new, light-weight models. However, my father had an SP-101 for a long time. The little I shot and carried it, I found it to be a very solid piece. It has been a while since I've handled one, but I remember it being on the heavy side for a snubbie.

I Have Taurus, S&W, Ruger and Charter revolvers, however the only dedicated 38's are my S&W 637 with bobbed hammer, it has a lock but I don't care as I never lock it. Mine currently has a Ergo 'Delta' grip. Great snubby.
I have three LCR's a 22LR eight shooter, a 327 Federal Six shooter and a 38 Five shooter. I have never shot or loaded the 38, my wife got it as part of a promotion. It is the original style with the Hogue Tamer boot grip. I never thought about it until now, but I might put it on the classified for $300

I like my Ruger LCR in .357 magnum, though I shoot .38 special +P in it, it fits my hand with the stock Hogue Tamer grip (never got along with the boot grip) and points naturally. I added an XS big dot to it which makes target acquisition easier in low light to no light situations. Though I am confident in my point and shoot capabilities, I do like to be able to actually see my front sight. I pocket carry it in Sticky holster and OWB in a Mitch Rosen leather holster from Shop Ruger.

I do like my wife's SP101 in 2.25 inch barrel, but it is not a pocketable gun, at least for me it isn't, so it get's carried OWB.

I kind of like my wife's S&W 442 (no-lock), it's a little "snappier" with +P's because it's pretty light. But since it's my wife's backup I stick with my LCR.

Best of luck with your search.

I never thought to pocket carry a LCR, though I do in my jacket pocket. I might try my 327 in the pocket. I do like the extra shot you get with the 327

I have many choices of what to carry. I carry a Charter Arms Undercover .38+P 5 shot. Along with a couple speed loaders. I also have an Older Bulldog Pug in .44spl (same frame as the one you are looking at) and its been an outstanding piece for the almost 30 years I have owned it.

Very partial opinion here, but it's mine:D. Ruger lcr-x3. I need a grip that fits my larger hand, it does. Double action so I can pull the hammer back for fine tuning loads. Wife can empty the 5 shot cylinder in seconds. Super light, 18 oz. Loaded if memory serves. And the 3"bbl means I can shoot to 25yds. Instead of 5. Oh, one last thing, the "R" on the side of it stands for "reliability" not ruger:cool:. Lol, just my constitutionally protected opinion;).

I put the Houge grip from the three inch LCRx on my wife's standard LCR38.

Houge1.jpg

I have looked at all three above, and the challenge with these is no external hammer, I am only interested in models with external hammers.

Just saying, They hang up on the way out, spend the money once and buy the lightest model you can, some are now between 11 and 15 ounces. Wear it for life and never know it's there. If you are face to face in a life threatening situation you will never notice not having a hammer. This is not a target gun, it is a belly gun!
Silver hand

Last Edited:
I have a Charter Arms undercover in a blued version. I purchased it new several years ago and have never had an issue with it. it gets carried quite often and is very easy to conceal. My other .38 revolver is a Ruger service six Liberty edition in super condition, it is an excellent shooter and much more accurate than I am. It however never gets carried because I don't want to ding it up or wear the blueing off of it. My Charter Arms however gets tossed in a tackle box, Stuck in the console of my vehicle or carried in a coat pocket or holster on a regular basis and although it has never been damaged if it were to get a ding I would lose no sleep over it. In my opinion the Charter is a great little revolver at a great price point and is a very durable and dependable toss it in and take along revolver.

Never had the pleasure of shooting either of these. Will have to look into them. Thank you
The 10 was pretty much the "standard" for Police for a long time. As they began to go to larger the market was flooded with nice used ones. Most were 4inch fixed. You used to be able to get them cheap enough to customize them tp your taste. Will be a little harder now to find one with 2 inch. There is still a lot of the 4's and if you have trouble check into having a smith shorten it. I found when I was using .38's that 3 inches was the sweet spot for me. Rarely saw one this way to had some made for me over the years. Watch the used and you may well find a 10 you like at a price to compare to the Taurus. To me this would beat the Taurus hands down.

Just saying, They hang up on the way out, spend the money once and buy the lightest model you can, some are now between 11 and 15 ounces. Wear it for life and never know it's there. If you are face to face in a life threatening situation you will never notice not having a hammer. This is not a target gun, it is a belly gun!
Silver hand
I will have to see how they work for me. I may end up with a no hammer model or two. At this point it is purely nostalgia look and feel.

UPDATE - Will update with some photos later today

I ended up with the S&W 36 Chiefs Special. 1976/77 model in 98% condition with original box and contents. @jbett98 did me a solid, THANK YOU.
I also ended up with a nice older Taurus 605 38/357 in new unfired condition for a steal of a deal at a LGS.
Still will be looking to expand the wheel gun collection with a Cobra, Charter Arm Police Undercover, LCR-x, and maybe a hammerless or two. Thank you to all for the helpful information.
And if you know of anyone selling classic snubby revolvers, let me know.

I've got a pre-36. That means it was manufacture before 1957 when S&W started assigning model numbers, so it was just a "Chiefs Special" before 1957. I didn't get nearly the deal you got though. But I love the gun, it's perfect for appendix carry.

(Yes I know some of you will never own a Taurus)

Thank you
GEEZZ MAN I haven't even responded yet:eek:
:D
I'm not really a big fan of Taurus or Charter arms but you can find some gems once in a while. I bought a 6" 357 Taurus that was great and my buddy had a CA 38 that was surprisingly accurate out quite a ways.
Both are very attractive since they are half the cost of a S&W snubbie. And they usually aren't range guns so they don't need to be perfect. Triggers can be fixed but if it's gunna cost as much as the difference in a Smith then why not go Smith?
Since you are talking the new Colt,I'm ASSuming you can afford a newer S&W. Which would be my first choice for this type gun.
I love Ruger wheel guns but not a fan of the sp101. For the cost the Taurus looks and feels better. And the last one I had shot 2' off at 20yards.:confused:

I ended up with the S&W 36 Chiefs Special. 1976/77 model in 98% condition with original box and contents. @jbett98 did me a solid, THANK YOU.
I also ended up with a nice older Taurus 605 38/357 in new unfired condition for a steal of a deal at a LGS.
Still will be looking to expand the wheel gun collection with a Cobra, Charter Arm Police Undercover, LCR-x, and maybe a hammerless or two. Thank you to all for the helpful information.
Oh dude, VERY nice find!!!! Not to try to shoot holes in this but you are now into collector value. As is the gun you have will be VERY sought after. If you want to carry and shoot great, but make sure you know what you may have there before it gets used more. VERY nice gun.

Oh dude, VERY nice find!!!! Not to try to shoot holes in this but you are now into collector value. As is the gun you have will be VERY sought after. If you want to carry and shoot great, but make sure you know what you may have there before it gets used more. VERY nice gun.
Yes, i doubt it will be shot at all by me. My wife saw it and told me very explicitly that it needed to be relegated to safe queen status ASAP.:)

Yes, i doubt it will be shot at all by me. My wife saw it and told me very explicitly that it needed to be relegated to safe queen status ASAP.:)
An old gal bought one of those and a few more guns into the shop in Sequim. The blue book said it was worth $250.
I got it for $275.:D Took it to the Centralia show and traded it off. The girl doing the paper work set it aside cause it was going home with her. They don't make it long at gun shows for sure.
Oh yeah,traded it for a 3 screw Blackhawk

I did not care for the boot stocks on my 605 and bought this ATI which comes a lot closer to filling my hand. I don't shoot mine a bunch, but usually I shoot 357 in it. I know I deserve punishment for something, but a little less punishment now.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top