JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So looking at getting an affordable carry piece in 38 special.

Here are the guns that I have looked at and like so far, ranked from least expensive to most:

Taurus Model 85 5 shot $299
Taurus 85B2FS Revolver | .38 Special +P 5 Rounds Blue Finish

Charter Arms Police Undercover 6 shot $350
73840 Police Undercover

S&W 36 Classic New Manufacture 5 shot $615
Model 36 Classics | Smith & Wesson

I love older wheel guns however everyone I find is to nice to carry and shoot.
I really would like to have a new Colt Cobra whenever those come out, however I imagine I will get one regardless of this purchase.

Thoughts and experience with any of the above is appreciated. (Yes I know some of you will never own a Taurus)

Thank you

A friend of mine has a mint in box S&W Model 36 that he's asked me to sell for him.
His Mom bought it new in 1964 and only fired a couple of rounds.
I think he's going to ask $500.00 for it.

Here are the guns that I have looked at and like so far, ranked from least expensive to most:

I've had a similar model, the Taurus 605, since 2005. I've shot it a bunch and carry it at times. In all those years, I've had zero issues with it. The trigger pull is pretty good, it is reliable, and accuracy is what you'd expect from a snub. I did eventually change the grips to different type, though the original rubber ones aren't bad.

Anywho, I hope that helps in some way. Cheers.

73840 Police Undercover

I really would like to have a new Colt Cobra whenever those come out, however I imagine I will get one regardless of this purchase.

Thoughts and experience with any of the above is appreciated. (Yes I know some of you will never own a Taurus)

Thank you

Of the ones you want of course the 36 is hands down the winner. If you don't mind used there is literally a ton of these out there for sale. If you don't mind one that shows it was carried a lot but will shoot just fine, it's not hard to find one close to the price of the 85. Of course the real nice examples bring a premium but there is far more that were carried for a long time and shot little. For me a 36 used and even showing lots of carry would beat the rest if I only had to spend another 50 or so. Had several of the 85's over the years and all worked fine. There is always "horror" stories of 85's but that's because a few tons of them have been made and sold. The company would never have survived if a lot of what they make was bad. If you don't need "pretty" lots of great 36s are there to buy.

S&W 5-shot J frame "Airweight" .38spl/+P revolvers come in a variety of flavors with and without hammers, or with a hideously ugly shrouded hammer (my own choice). Very concealable, rugged and dependable. But depending on what you're used to shooting, they take a little getting used to. They're small guns.

In any size paw, the contoured grip stops one finger short, leaving your pinky with nothing to wrap around. It feels awkward at first. And given a 16oz empty weight, even standard .38 hollow points make it snap pretty good (and are loud as hell, indoors or out, through a 1" barrel).

Not a great "first pistol experience" for timid beginners if you want them to keep coming back.

Whatever I shoot at the range, I always finish up running half a box through my EDC so it's the last thing I shot. (Heaven forbid, the next time might be a life/death emergency.) I won't insist that it's a great pistol for everyone since that all boils down to personal preference. But it's certainly worth a try if you get the chance.

Bottom line? Unless you're already used to a tiny, lightweight revolver, you'll owe yourself some dedicated trigger time to develop comfort and consistency with any Airweight-size pistol.

638.jpg

Last Edited:

73840 Police Undercover

Thank you
This is one I have looked at as a hunting sidearms since I hunt with a bow.
Rock Island Armory M200 Revolver .38 Special 4.02" Barrel 6 Rounds Matte Black Finish Steel Frame Polymer Grip Black 51261 - 4806015512615

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top