JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I did not care for the boot stocks on my 605 and bought this ATI which comes a lot closer to filling my hand. I don't shoot mine a bunch, but usually I shoot 357 in it. I know I deserve punishment for something, but a little less punishment now.
Yeah I just ordered a Hogue for it the boot stock is a little to small

For pocket carry, try the Ergo Delta grip. Slanted so you get all fingers on the grip, but still compact.

ERGO-Delta-Grip-Profile.jpg
ERGO-Delta-Grip.jpg
ERGO-Delta-Grip-Closed.jpg
Delta-Grip-for-Ruger.jpg
Ergo-Delta-Grip-LCR-police.jpg

Just my $0.002, I only have one "J" frame anymore.

It's a S&W, 3" .38spl +P. Adjustable sights, stainless w/ rubber grips! It's accurate, it can be a "belly gun," but you could pop a rabbit at 70yds, +/- in a pinch. I carry it cross draw with a pair of drop open, loose round dump pouches. Not a pocket pistol, but much more versatile!

IMG_0768.JPG
Image from web:)

Last Edited:
I have the Ergo Delta Grip stocks for my J frame 637 38 and like them, I did not know till this thread about the one for the LCR. The stocks that ATI makes are for Taurus.

Two winters ago I carried the LCR with Ergo Delta grips in the pocket of my big heavy coat in addition to my usual EDC IWB. The Ergo are less tacky than the Houge and easier to draw from a pocket, however I do like the squishyness of the Houge grips.

I ordered a Delta for my 38 LCR, I have the longer Hogue on my 327 LCR and solid Hogue Piranha ones on my 22 LCR. Makes me want to get my J frame out of the pickup and Taurus out of the John, and the three Charter's (9, 40 and 45) and take them all for a little snubbies shoot out.

So looking at getting an affordable carry piece in 38 special.

Here are the guns that I have looked at and like so far, ranked from least expensive to most:

Taurus Model 85 5 shot $299
Taurus 85B2FS Revolver | .38 Special +P 5 Rounds Blue Finish

Charter Arms Police Undercover 6 shot $350
73840 Police Undercover

S&W 36 Classic New Manufacture 5 shot $615
Model 36 Classics | Smith & Wesson

I love older wheel guns however everyone I find is to nice to carry and shoot.
I really would like to have a new Colt Cobra whenever those come out, however I imagine I will get one regardless of this purchase.

Thoughts and experience with any of the above is appreciated. (Yes I know some of you will never own a Taurus)

Thank you

OK, Ok, ok....for ME. Say that I wanted a CCW revolver and I had to stay within a budget of say, around $300-$350.

First off.......I'd want a SS revolver. You see, I use to live in Hawaii and rust is always a problem with blued firearms (yup, the ocean and body salts). Thus, for a carry piece....SS is IMHO, the answer.

Then.....given your choices. Taurus, Charter Arms or the S&W.

Well, the S&W M60 (M36 in blue), is THE carry small frame revolver. But, it's expensive. But then, S&W is my favorite brand of revolver. WHY? Affordable (not so much now a days), well built, and trust worthy. Many gunsmiths are familiar with them and can fine tune that trigger for you. Actually, I still have my S&W M60 from back in those days. Maybe, look into something used?

The Charter Arms is OK (I sort of gave mine away to an ex-GF). Though at your price......well, I'd pass. Not to mention that the lock work and disassembly is well.......not like a S&W.

Then, the Taurus.....cough, cough.....ever look inside. It's nothing like a S&W. It didn't inspire me. And, at that price for a blued revolver. I'd pass on that too.

If the budget is too tight for even a used S&W. How about this alternative? Rossi. Huh? Yup. Back in the day, Rossi was a part of that Marcas Registradas Group (S&W group). A very big reason for the familiar look and similar internals between both revolvers. OK, Ok, ok.....there might be some bad stories around about the really early/older Rossi revolvers. But, I'm talking about buying those Rossi revolvers imported by Interarms or made thereafter, they're GTG. SS examples can be found for around $300. IMHO....a good value. If you don't want to spend the kind of money that a real S&W runs for. BTW, Rossi was recently acquired by Taurus and of course the warranty doesn't apply to the pre-Taurus-Rossi company.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
ma96782 said:
If the budget is too tight for even a used S&W. How about this alternative? Rossi. Huh? Yup. Back in the day, Rossi was a part of that Marcas Registradas Group (S&W group).

Aloha, Mark

If the budget is $300 I would have NO problem with either Rossie or Taurus. You can easily find one in stainless for that. Remember the stainless used for the gun is not corrosion proof like your "dinnerware" but is much tougher. I have had many of both makers guns. Yes now and then a bad one gets out. This happens with ALL manufacturers. No the trigger is not going to feel as smooth as some old Smith or Colt that runs 3 times the price. Again people have to keep some kind of perspective on what they are paying for here. The ones I have had worked and I had no doubt would serve me if I needed them.

image.jpeg
I've got a 2" stainless Rossi I picked up a year ago for a mere 210.00 NIB... Several hundred rounds through it, mostly my own reloads, not a single hiccup... I'd give Rossi a serious look... Just be a prudent shopper... I've been known to be downright cheap...

View attachment 344221
I've got a 2" stainless Rossi I picked up a year ago for a mere 210.00 NIB... Several hundred rounds through it, mostly my own reloads, not a single hiccup... I'd give Rossi a serious look... Just be a prudent shopper... I've been known to be downright cheap...

When I met Wife first gun I bought her was a .22 pistol to teach her to shoot. That was followed by a trip to Courthouse to get her permit. Then first carry gun was an old Rossi stainless .38 5 shooter. First thing I bought for it was a set of rubber grips by Frank P. She carried it years before deciding on a new (at that time) Ultra light by Taurus. That old Rossi went to a buddy for his Mom. Last I heard that little gun is still in use. It's been like 25 years and I'm not sure how old it was when I bought it since it was used. Wife liked those old Nyclad's Federal used to make. Easy round to shoot in these. If you don't want to spend a lot or just can't afford better for now there is no reason to not try these.

Here they are. Sorry for the delay. Should have new grips for Taurus tomorrow. SOrry for the crappy pics, for some reason my iphone is not able to focus properly...

IMG_1826.JPG IMG_1828.JPG

if you insist on *my* opinion on those models OP mentions in the beginning,
the list shortens quickly:
1) Taurus nothing. Every one I've had no matter caliber or auto/revolver, has given me trouble. so....not just no but HELL no.....
2) Charter Arms: I've never had one I actually *liked* or was comfortable shooting. No.
3) S&W revolvers have uniformly fit all my reliability/performance/comfort needs.
M36 is a great snubby IMHO although I didn't really care to pocket carry the 2 I had.

Recently was considering a S&W 337, a J-frame 38+P ultra light no longer made similar to the M36 but at 10.6 oz......

Had the crimson trace red dot on it. Took it to the range with 3 levels of ammo, including the defense +P stuff. Made my thumb numb. Even as a carry/hide out revolver, there were other issues that tipped choice against it.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top