JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
hey all I am about to move back to oregon where my reloading equipment is at. I would like to know every ones fav. 380 loads are as I plan on rolling my own for fun, as well as using it as my hunting side arm(I will be carrying my 7mag too). My gun is a Makarov in 380 acp and I am liking the 90/95gr pills. I would like the mid line to almost redline loads.

For "Mid line to redline" loads take a look at either Win AutoComp or Alliant Power Pistol. I've used the Power Pistol when I loaded .380 and it's a good all around powder for these small high pressure cases. Don't know much about the AutoComp but it does offer some loads with 90 gr bullets that go above the 1k mark. Likewise with Power Pistol. I use Power Pistol exclusively for my 9mm loads and get speeds in the 1250 range from a 4.25" bbl.

As a note, if you're carrying it as a hunting sidearm, would it be for the two legged critters or the four? If for 2 legged, load the 90 gr GDHP and send it as fast as possible. If you really expect it to be effective against any game animal you'd be either better off with a larger gun or load for the .380 with a FMJ or maybe even the Barnes 80 gr Tac-XP which is solid copper. Penetration will be more important than expansion with that light round.

For "Mid line to redline" loads take a look at either Win AutoComp or Alliant Power Pistol. I've used the Power Pistol when I loaded .380 and it's a good all around powder for these small high pressure cases. Don't know much about the AutoComp but it does offer some loads with 90 gr bullets that go above the 1k mark. Likewise with Power Pistol. I use Power Pistol exclusively for my 9mm loads and get speeds in the 1250 range from a 4.25" bbl.

As a note, if you're carrying it as a hunting sidearm, would it be for the two legged critters or the four? If for 2 legged, load the 90 gr GDHP and send it as fast as possible. If you really expect it to be effective against any game animal you'd be either better off with a larger gun or load for the .380 with a FMJ or maybe even the Barnes 80 gr Tac-XP which is solid copper. Penetration will be more important than expansion with that light round.

I ran into trouble with a game warden after I shot a forky a couple years back,I shot it with my 7mag first, he took my 22 away from me when he asked about the bullet hole in the skull, I gain my weapons back after paying a fine. It is not well looked upon to do the cu de gra with a 22. So I vowed to use something a little larger. It will be against both two and four legged critters. I have been shot at too many times for skirting ridge lines going after some rather large mule deer, black tail, and white tail(when I was living in texas). That same game warden asked where my hunter orange was, I told him that according to texas state law, there is no law that requires me to wear it on federal land. pissed him off but he could not sight me for it.

I like unique for the 380 but I have thought about the Power Pistol as well as the red,blue and green dots. This is a secondary weapon to my 7mm Rem Mag.

I ran into trouble with a game warden after I shot a forky a couple years back,I shot it with my 7mag first, he took my 22 away from me when he asked about the bullet hole in the skull, I gain my weapons back after paying a fine. It is not well looked upon to do the cu de gra with a 22. So I vowed to use something a little larger. It will be against both two and four legged critters. I have been shot at too many times for skirting ridge lines going after some rather large mule deer, black tail, and white tail(when I was living in texas). That same game warden asked where my hunter orange was, I told him that according to texas state law, there is no law that requires me to wear it on federal land. pissed him off but he could not sight me for it.

I like unique for the 380 but I have thought about the Power Pistol as well as the red,blue and green dots. This is a secondary weapon to my 7mm Rem Mag.

Here in WA State there IS a requirement for "Orange" while hunting. If in a "hunting area" and not wearing Orange, even if not hunting, is stupid. We have so called hunters in this State that have killed people thinking they are game animals. One killed a woman walking on a trail in a blue parka thinking she was a bear.

On pistols for "dispatching" a wounded animal. it has to meet the caliber minimum of .240" and any pistol has to have a minimum barrel length of 4". Don't have a clue about Oregon or elsewhere but here in WA, that .380 would meet the "caliber" requirement but most likely fail on the barrel length. Most "mak's" are just short of that 4" length.

Here in WA State there IS a requirement for "Orange" while hunting. If in a "hunting area" and not wearing Orange, even if not hunting, is stupid. We have so called hunters in this State that have killed people thinking they are game animals. One killed a woman walking on a trail in a blue parka thinking she was a bear.

On pistols for "dispatching" a wounded animal. it has to meet the caliber minimum of .240" and any pistol has to have a minimum barrel length of 4". Don't have a clue about Oregon or elsewhere but here in WA, that .380 would meet the "caliber" requirement but most likely fail on the barrel length. Most "mak's" are just short of that 4" length.

I have been shot at to many times while wearing Hunter Orange while in both Oregon or Texas. And implicating that some one is "Stupid" places you in the wrong. I do not even want to be seen by humans, or animals. That is the point of "SNEAKING"

I am not in Washington state, nor plan on hunting in that state any time soon,(plans tend to change when you least suspect them to.)

Wow you fellas must not have read my entire post. I hunt with a rifle, a 7mm remington Magnus. That is what I use everyday I hunt. But it is illegal to finish a deer off with any rim fired caliber. So out comes the old 380acp for the job. I am wanting to reload it for both hunting ,pleasure,and personal defence. I bought the gun to goof off with and to teach my wife how to shoot an auto. Ammo for 380acp as you all know is not cheap but reload it makes it shootable more often. Being a larger auto, my makarov has a 3.83" barrel, and will give higher thes standard velocity.
This is why I asked about pet loads for the 380 because I am going to reload it for these reasons.

Remember, this is only to replace my .22, and keep me out of trouble should I have to shoot a mountain lion or a coyote. Oregon has ferral pigs.

This is why I asked about pet loads for the 380 because I am going to reload it for these reasons.

Remember, this is only to replace my .22, and keep me out of trouble should I have to shoot a mountain lion or a coyote. Oregon has ferral pigs.

.380 on a coyote, mountain lion, or feral hog? I guess if that's the only thing you have but personally I would go with my 45 first and my 40 second.

Makarov is a good reliable pistol.....small enough to stay out of the way and if it rusts up or gets lost your not out 500+ bucks lol. I am sure 9x17 has killed plenty of mammals in it's history. It's backup, not your primary hunting arm right? How many animals where killed back in the day with .32 revolvers both smokeless and older black powder shells, or even black powder cap and ball revolvers before the advent of modern technology?

I lack experience here, but i would probably carry fmj or hard cast +p rounds for thicker skins. I doubt many things are going to stand through the first round or two and argue the point lol. And if they are already chewing on your leg at least you have a clear headshot :p

Makarov is a good reliable pistol.....small enough to stay out of the way and if it rusts up or gets lost your not out 500+ bucks lol. I am sure 9x17 has killed plenty of mammals in it's history. It's backup, not your primary hunting arm right? How many animals where killed back in the day with .32 revolvers both smokeless and older black powder shells, or even black powder cap and ball revolvers before the advent of modern technology?

I lack experience here, but i would probably carry fmj or hard cast +p rounds for thicker skins. I doubt many things are going to stand through the first round or two and argue the point lol. And if they are already chewing on your leg at least you have a clear headshot :p

My primary is My savage 110 in 7mm Rem mag, there is not a whole lot in this country that can take the punishment of a 7mm mag, or for long at least. I am only packing this 380 just to stay out of trouble. I can not afford to be in trouble with the law as I am trying to join the Army, and become a LEO as well. Many animals and even people have fallen to the 380's in the past, as well as the old 32's both black, and smokeless powders. Heck they even kill pigs, mountain lions, and dogs with 22s every day. I have thought about using buffalo bores 100gr (so called plus p) lead hard cast pills. But I highly doubt anything will get close enough to get a chance to gnaw on my leg but how ever there is that chance that it could happen. When I leave for basic will be this fall sometime and the 380 will be with the wife as with the rest of my collection. Thankfully she will be around both of our familys when that time comes. She will have her ccw and will hopefully carry my 380 in her purse with her at all times. She is a pretty fair shot with my 22 so I am sure with time and a little practice she will be pretty good with the mak. I plan on getting my ccw with her so we can do the class together. I have looked at some powders and I have like Unique's ballistics, even though there are better suited powders. Unique seems to be readily available where ever I go, pretty broad charge spectrum and gives really good performance for this caliber. I also like the dot's too.

My primary is My savage 110 in 7mm Rem mag, there is not a whole lot in this country that can take the punishment of a 7mm mag, or for long at least. I am only packing this 380 just to stay out of trouble. I can not afford to be in trouble with the law as I am trying to join the Army, and become a LEO as well. Many animals and even people have fallen to the 380's in the past, as well as the old 32's both black, and smokeless powders. Heck they even kill pigs, mountain lions, and dogs with 22s every day. I have thought about using buffalo bores 100gr (so called plus p) lead hard cast pills. But I highly doubt anything will get close enough to get a chance to gnaw on my leg but how ever there is that chance that it could happen. When I leave for basic will be this fall sometime and the 380 will be with the wife as with the rest of my collection. Thankfully she will be around both of our familys when that time comes. She will have her ccw and will hopefully carry my 380 in her purse with her at all times. She is a pretty fair shot with my 22 so I am sure with time and a little practice she will be pretty good with the mak. I plan on getting my ccw with her so we can do the class together. I have looked at some powders and I have like Unique's ballistics, even though there are better suited powders. Unique seems to be readily available where ever I go, pretty broad charge spectrum and gives really good performance for this caliber. I also like the dot's too.

What's Oregon law regarding minimum caliber and barrel length for a handgun used to hunt/dispatch game? As stated earlier, WA as a .24 caliber minimum with a minimum barrel length of 4". The "Mak" doesn't qualify if it has a standard barrel which is spec'd at 3.8" Wouldn't be bad if LEO's/Game Wardens "round up" but most are looking for an opportunity to "assert their authority".

I don't see any restrictions on the ODFW website...says you can carry anything for defense, but only harvest with an approved caliber during the approved season. I don't even see anything regarding rimfire just caliber minimums. IDK I am guessing a lot of it is going to play off the regulator not the regulation - if mr warden feels like you shouldn't have a military handgun on you while hunting he is probably going to harass you anyways lol.

http://www.dfw.state.or.us/resources/hunting/big_game/regulations/docs/firearm.pdf
ODFW Weapons Restrictions

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads