JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You need a factory resizer.

The case has bulged from the lead and now it's too large.

@fmiller

Will you measure above and below this line? Please follow calipers along brass and let us/me know your diameters?

I stand behind my earlier comment. Cast rounds are typically LARGER than jacketed and plated by just a hair and adding that on top of brass thickness causes issues. Some brass isn't as thick so it won't do it but some is thick and will cause issues every.damn.time.

Because of this, I added a Lee FCD (factory crimp die) to my station on the press. After this, never had an issue.

D0415616-F1DA-4001-A694-2278A6B76587.jpeg

Thanks

agreed the round doesnt look good but it goes half way in... are the cylinders tapered?

The back of the cylinders have more clearance than the mouth or the throat, about .010 larger than a case. But I suspect multiple things at play, probably insufficient crimp combined with dirty chambers. Possibly oversize bullet but if they are commercial that's rather unusual.

The bulge isnt that unusual, this is one of my rounds that drops right in a chamber, it looks huge but it is only .0015 larger at the bulge than below. I suspect his round is not crimped enough, it flares at the mouth really bad.

20181010_222614.jpg

I have had this issue with cast bullets that did not go through the sizer. I don't know the source of your lead bullets, but casting can produce slightly oversized bullets, which in turn when stuffed into the belled case mouth, make the round oversized. I have on occasion run a completed round through my sizing die when I have had this issue and it cleaned it right up.

D

Do you have a machinist's scale? 6", 12" or whatever. Lay it along the side of the cartridge and see if there is air between the flare and the case head (NOT the rim). You can then see if the flare is still there. If it is, they don't fit because the reloading process is not finished.

And dial calipers are what, $20 at Harbor Freight? I could not reload without calipers and a straight edge to check crimp - both taper and roll.

I suspect his round is not crimped enough, it flares at the mouth really bad.
This ^ - after looking at the enlarged pic Dyj posted i can see the mouth is still slightly belled and not tapering into the crimping groove of the bullet. Look at the pic Jordanka posted and the crimp is completed on this round.
OPs is a slightly short case that ain't making it to the crimping roll in the die. Common problem. - FCD eliminates this.

View attachment 507654 I hey

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

My 357 loads won't fit in the cylinder- they go halfway in and get stuck.

Tightening down my crimp die seems to help but I think I'm WAY overdoing it.

Here's a pic - does this look right?
What it doesn't really show is the outline of the bullet is pretty clearly visible in the brass. Any ideas? Too much belling?
It looks like you have a bell shape at the end of your case That is wider than the case.Vs a crimp. If you can Mic it it should tell you

THANK YOU to everyone who has replied!

I'm using a Dillon crimp die, but gave no problem with getting a Lee die for the final crimp.

I'll also tweak the (Hornady) seating die to remove as much belling as I can...

Thx!

After seeing @Dyjital s zoomed in pic. It kind of looks like there isn't enough crimp or any at all. Right where I circled you can almost look inside the case and see a slight bell as if this cartridge still has partial belling.

A344F4FB-5309-44E9-A844-808967215AB7.jpeg

You know...
The crimp die was a gift. I just set it and got going. But now I wonder if it's ACTUALLY crimping...

That would explain a lot.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads