JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
In the last couple of days I have received two lots of small pistol primers ordered online over the last month. I had and interesting and a little disturbing observation.
Used 38 spl range brasses various brands.
I loaded 50 rounds of 38 spl. using the Federal gold Medal Magnum match primers (I know pricey at around $125 a brick). I had zero problems seating and of these primers.
Next I received the Ginex primers at around $100 a brick. I found these primers hard to seat flush (yes all primer seats in the shells were cleaned out. Out of 50, maybe 20 where borderline acceptable flush with the shell base. 4 are sitting very proud (And no, I wont seat them further with a hammer).
Anyone had similar experiences?

Genex depth1.jpg Genex depth2.jpg

So I wondered about dimensions between the two primers. I thought maybe the Ginex were deeper than the Federal. The Federal ran very consistent .119" The Ginex were shorter running around .116" although not consistent (Measured only a 3 piece sample so maybe measure a lot more).

Federal001.jpg Federal002.jpg ginex001.jpg ginex002.jpg ginex003.jpg ginex004.jpg ginex005.jpg

In the last couple of days I have received two lots of small pistol primers ordered online over the last month. I had and interesting and a little disturbing observation.
Used 38 spl range brasses various brands.
I loaded 50 rounds of 38 spl. using the Federal gold Medal Magnum match primers (I know pricey at around $125 a brick). I had zero problems seating and of these primers.
Next I received the Ginex primers at around $100 a brick. I found these primers hard to seat flush (yes all primer seats in the shells were cleaned out. Out of 50, maybe 20 where borderline acceptable flush with the shell base. 4 are sitting very proud (And no, I wont seat them further with a hammer).
Anyone had similar experiences?

View attachment 1206394 View attachment 1206395
What did you use to seat the primers?

Less than 0.0005" should not make that much difference. I have never used a press for priming, as that is not its main strength, so to speak. I believe that you will have much better results with a hand primer, or if seeking absolute uniformity, a bench primer.

Last Edited:
Less than 0.005" should not make that much difference. I have never used a press for priming, as that is not its main strength, so to speak. I believe that you will have much better results with a hand primer, or if seeking absolute uniformity, a bench primer.
Yes, I just ordered an RCBS hand primer, kinda defeats the purpose of a multi stag press just for these Ginex primers. Should have just sold them and bought some more expensive ones that will work with my tooling

I edited my measurement. It is one half of one thousandth. (0.0005). Presses are made to press. They exert considerable force - enough to crush primers. Some presses work well for this - but it is overkill, as the primers need less than 1% of the force to seat as compared with sizing a case. Bench primers have far less leverage and you will be pleased to feel a primer as it seats in the bottom of the pocket.

If some pockets are tight, you can use a primer pocket swager or a primer pocket uniformer - both of which are intended to make the primer pockets into uniform size. The swaged removes and military-style crimp and the uniformer enlarges undersized pockets ever so slightly. In truth, the press is not at fault, and neither are primers. It is the cases themselves which have a surprising amount of variation, being made in the billions, using all manner of new and old tooling, different mixtures of cartridge brass, different manufacturing processes, and in many different nations. Actually, it is rather amazing that they are as uniform as they are.

But, as to primers, in times of shortage, it is any primer in a storm. Learn 'em, load 'em, shoot 'em.

Primers can definitely make a difference in force required to seat. I had some S&B primers that were noticeably harder to seat one time. A few tenths can make a difference when talking about a press fit.

Oddly enough, they were also the primers that gave me some of the lowest SDs and ES.

I sometimes save those primers for pockets that may be getting a little bit loose.

These kinds of challenges using different components happen. I used to have problems with high primers on some .30 US Carbine brass. Get the uniformer tool if you are going to stick with primers that tend to seat high.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top