300RUM case failures

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by moose, Mar 5, 2018.

Tags:
  1. jordanka16

jordanka16
    Albany, OR
    Silver Supporter Silver Supporter

Well the idea for casting the chamber is to get an idea of how much the brass is being worked from loaded, to fired, to resized, to back to loaded. If the amount is excessive that could be what is causing case failure so soon.

2. DizzyJ

DizzyJ
    Lost
    Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Using a comparator, Measure a fired case against a re-sized one.

3. P7id10T

P7id10T
    Tetrachromatic
    Dysfunction Junction Gold Supporter

Had a shoulder split yesterday. Third firing, not yet annealed. The carbon track was the giveaway, though I scratched off much of it with my nail.
    I usually just bump these, but this one got a full sizing last time because I moved my sizer die to a different press.
    If I were to miss it on inspection, next firing it'd probably look like yours.
    These were custom Hornady brass at $2 apiece. Grrrrr.

Split.jpg

moose likes this.
  4. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf
    SE Portland

Try the 300VODKA, it's a lot better because if you put it up to your ear and listen closely you can hear when it's going to crack.

5. P7id10T

P7id10T
    Tetrachromatic
    Dysfunction Junction Gold Supporter

Glad you still have your hearing. I guess you can also hear from the muzzle blast where the round will hit. Low and left.... :rolleyes:

6. moose

moose
    Rock, Hard Place

I am curious if there is internal erosion at the neck radius; there are a lot of hot angry molecules trying to make that corner.

Do you make your own brass? You mention custom, is it small batch from Hornady? You should try a neck resize just to see if the neck completely cracks.