JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I bought an original Dillon Square Deal when I was young (34 years ago). I've reloaded several calibers, but my original 357 Mag was the first and been doing it on/off for years, but only loaded about 2,500 rounds through it. Tonight, I was reloading my usual recipe (a RNFP 158 gr lead hard cast bullet with 6 grn Unique) and got about 90 rounds in. I suddenly noticed the brass that advanced to the bell/powder station had the carbide ring attached to the base!! No issues with tightness (ever) the carbide ring doesn't even require any lube, though I do a slight bit of lube on them anyway. WTF?! Has this happened to anyone else out there? 2,500 rounds is not much for a die really. I would have thought they'd last like 50k rounds.

I submitted the claim to Dillon and the pictures showing the shucked ring on the brass. I'll convey what they respond with. Really wondering about the quality aspect at this point.

20220212_210108.jpg 20220212_210741.jpg

Depending on age of the die, the bonding agent that was used might have given way or the holder may have just broke free. You can check the die and ring for any signs of glue/epoxy or wear marks to better see what happen.

Just opinion from what I see in the pictures. The sizing die looks like it was out of adjustment and got hammered loose. Notice the shiny spots on the shell plate where the die set wore against it. Fortunately Dillion stands behind their products.

Even if the die is 34 years old, Dillon will make it right. They have the best warranty and customer service in the reloading industry.

Some years back, I had an RCBS .45 ACP carbide insert come loose. RCBS quickly comped me a replacement. The replacement die had a different, more tapered contour at the mouth. Early inserts were more restrictive and sized, even swaged the cases down into the web, creating tremendous pressure (lubed or not) between insert and brass case. The insert always pulls free on the ram downstroke.

I suspect that Dillon might have also have altered the taper of the insert.

I have a 450 Dillon all standard dies will work with them and I have had the carbide come loose in 2 different dies; 45 ACP and 44 mag. Not uncommon. Easy to fix with super glue.

I believe all die makers have a lifetime warranty. JB is good stuff for a lot of things but it is thick where super glue is thin, allowing easier application.

So I bought an original Dillon Square Deal when I was young (34 years ago). I've reloaded several calibers, but my original 357 Mag was the first and been doing it on/off for years, but only loaded about 2,500 rounds through it. Tonight, I was reloading my usual recipe (a RNFP 158 gr lead hard cast bullet with 6 grn Unique) and got about 90 rounds in. I suddenly noticed the brass that advanced to the bell/powder station had the carbide ring attached to the base!! No issues with tightness (ever) the carbide ring doesn't even require any lube, though I do a slight bit of lube on them anyway. WTF?! Has this happened to anyone else out there? 2,500 rounds is not much for a die really. I would have thought they'd last like 50k rounds.

I submitted the claim to Dillon and the pictures showing the shucked ring on the brass. I'll convey what they respond with. Really wondering about the quality aspect at this point.

View attachment 1130582 View attachment 1130583
I don't think I would be concerned with Dillon's quality. You'll probably have a new replacement on your doorstep before they finish reading your claim.

I have a 450 purchased in 1980. The sq deal looked good and was going to buy one until I found out it didn't use standard dies. I was loading around 20 different cartridges at the time and didn't want to replace all of my dies. But dies will occasionally have problems. I had a set that the sizer wasn't heat treated properly and it scratched my 44 mag brass bad. Went to carbide after that. Few years later encountered your situation. Sure you can get it replaced under warranty, but it's a simple fix with super glue.

They'll stand behind it no problem.

Question for you;
Is the sizing die set so low as to cause cam over? IIRC carbide sizing dies are not supposed to abruptly make contact with the shell holder.

Same issue with same dies.
You definitely should avoid contact the shell plate with carbide dies.
The ceramic ring stuck to the third case I tried re-sizing, it was just a QC thing, the die never touched the shell holder. Hornady did send me a new one for free, and I managed to fix the defective die by staking the ring in, looks bad but still works.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top