JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Did almost the exact same thing for my wife. She is most comfortable shooting the AR platform, so we built her a .300 Blackout just for deer hunting. For some reason my wife thinks that bolt guns "kick to much", but she will shoot anything in a AR style. My wife wouldn't take any shots over probably 150-200 yds. I don't know about the 135gr bullets specifically, but I do know the Winchester factory loads in 150gr extreme points will drop a deer in it's tracks.

yeah it is a really good platform for women hunters imo.... I was thinking the same thing when I was talking to the sierra bulletsmiths.... I was like 135? really? he said because a heavier bullet may have issues with expansion and not fully expanding all the time..... I am going to test the 135 gr and a 155gr and go with the most accurate of the 2 I tried a 125g and it was horrible accuracy... so I guess we will see... I am hesitant about the 135 grain tho but who knows the bulletsmiths are the experts not me...

Expansion is an issue with any slow moving bullet. The way I see it, the 300 BLK will push a 125gr ballistic tip around 2250 fps at the muzzle. The 308 Winchester pushes the same bullet the same velocity...at 250 yards.

For me, its a 100 yard deer cartridge. If you're limiting shots to around there, you should get reliable performance out of a softish bullet. I hold animals to a much higher regard than people, so I like good bullet performance.

I like to load 130gr Barnes TTSXs in a 300 Win Mag and send them at deer going 3500 fps. This load turns deer vitals into soup and leaves exit holes the size of racquetballs.

I'm strongly considering a .300 BLK AR pistol build for a hog gun. 10.5" barrel with a lower power optic. Would like to get to TX this year to get me a pig.

I would also look at getting a 6.8 spc for deer. Great round ballistically out to 300 or so yards and a lot of great factory ammo to go with it. My wife and sister shoot my 6.8 and they don't mind the recoil at all.

Move to a bolt action and you can get a lot better performance. A 7mm-08 will push a 140gr bullet 2800fps, or a 120gr load 3000fps. Very little recoil. The 243 with 80gr Barnes TTSX or 95gr Ballistic Tip will kill suprisingly well. I have a lot of love for the 257 Roberts, but its a reloaders cartridge. I had a Ruger Ultralight in 257 Bob that was the perfect blacktail gun.

Did almost the exact same thing for my wife. She is most comfortable shooting the AR platform, so we built her a .300 Blackout just for deer hunting. For some reason my wife thinks that bolt guns "kick to much", but she will shoot anything in a AR style. My wife wouldn't take any shots over probably 150-200 yds. I don't know about the 135gr bullets specifically, but I do know the Winchester factory loads in 150gr extreme points will drop a deer in it's tracks.
I've always felt the AR kicks less than a bolt gun also. I think all semi autos kick less.

I've got a ruger american in .300 blk it shoots all the 110 -135 gr bullets about the same but I would probably pick the barnes 110 gr as my first choice for deer.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top