JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The only thing that is testament to is the Remington ammunition he is using. Sabots are illegal for black powder hunting here in Idaho, I don't know about in a shotgun during short range weapon areas. Looks like it sort of defeats the puropse of a short range area restriction, most are designed close to urban areas for safety of the general public. 1900 FPS at 165 grains is like using a 30-30, hardly a short range weapon. These sort of "developments" could lead to the closure of hunting with firearms all together in these areas over safety issues.

Last Edited:
I dont know what it is about NW outdoorsmen, but yall are some of most judgmental people in the world. Guess what? Some states produce lots of animals and manage their hunts so well that hunters dont have to sit around and wax eloquent about driving rains making deer move better or how to hunt the doghair, only to eat tag soup 2 out of 3 years.

Whether its salmon and steelhead fishermen, flea flicker trout guys, or blacktail hunters, its all mystique and lore over results.

Im a hunter and use the best methods wherr I live. I support every lawful hunter in their pursuit.

Anyone notice how people in the NW are adopting methods used in other states and its working? Like tree stands, blinds, jacketed muzzleloader projectiles, aluminocks, mechanical broad heads....

PNW people are definitely not smarter vs harder.

Ok, did a little research. The gun appears to be a Savage 220f!

They seem to be quite popular, and seriously accurate. A number of web sights mentioned words like minute of angle and good groups at 300yds! Interesting!:eek:

I also read about some eastern states beginning to allow rifles that shoot straight walled rounds! Calibers mentioned were .357, 460S&W, 500S&W and in at least one state .45/70! The article said that six states either had or were planning the switch.

Sometime back, I received a direct answer on the estimated maximum danger range of rifled slug, sabot slug, .44 magnum and 45-70 rounds from Winchester Ammunition:

X12RS15- Rifled Slug, 1 ounce @ 1600 fps: 1,068 Yards

X44MHSP2- .44 Mag. 240 gr. @ 1760 fps: 2,239 Yards

X4570H- .45-70 300 gr. @ 1880 fps: 2,291 Yards

SSP12- 12Ga. 385 gr. @ 1900 fps: 2,971 Yards

The Winchester Tech. recommended adding 200 to 300 additional yards to allow for velocity variations, temperature, wind conditions, etc.

The only thing that is testament to is the Remington ammunition he is using. Sabots are illegal for black powder hunting here in Idaho, I don't know about in a shotgun during short range weapon areas. Looks like it sort of defeats the puropse of a short range area restriction, most are designed close to urban areas for safety of the general public. 1900 FPS at 165 grains is like using a 30-30, hardly a short range weapon. These sort of "developments" could lead to the closure of hunting with firearms all together in these areas over safety issues.

Or like this in Wyoming?

Clinic: Hunt Deer With Buckshot | SheridanMedia.com

o_O

Last Edited:
Didn't click but it sounds pretty silly to me.. at 300 yards the slug probably had what, 200fpe?

FPE?
Oh yeah, that was the little math formula, put together in the early 19th century. Yes, it was used it to compare the work of a single cylinder vertical lift steam engine to that of a draft horse - for pumping water out of a coal mine!

o_O

FPE?
Oh yeah, that was the little math formula, put together in the early 19th century. Yes, it was used it to compare the work of a single cylinder vertical lift steam engine to that of a draft horse - for pumping water out of a coal mine!

o_O

Foot Pounds of Energy is commonly used to quantify power at the point of impact.

But I'm guessing you already knew that...

Foot Pounds of Energy is commonly used to quantify power at the point of impact.

But I'm guessing you already knew that...

Occasionally, glancing in the rear view mirror helps to clarify the situation. :eek:

Sometime during the closing decade of the 19th century, the marketing guys latched on to the old, (even then), FPE "velocity squared" formula as a way to portray the then new smallbore smokeless rounds as more "powerful" than the big bore black powder cartridges most shooters were familiar with. Thus, in the industry circulars, the *30 WCF appeared to have greater "power" than the *45 Govt. o_O

* 30-30 and 45-70 are the familiar monikers today.

Last Edited:
I dont know what it is about NW outdoorsmen, but yall are some of most judgmental people in the world. Guess what? Some states produce lots of animals and manage their hunts so well that hunters dont have to sit around and wax eloquent about driving rains making deer move better or how to hunt the doghair, only to eat tag soup 2 out of 3 years.

Whether its salmon and steelhead fishermen, flea flicker trout guys, or blacktail hunters, its all mystique and lore over results.

Im a hunter and use the best methods wherr I live. I support every lawful hunter in their pursuit.

Anyone notice how people in the NW are adopting methods used in other states and its working? Like tree stands, blinds, jacketed muzzleloader projectiles, aluminocks, mechanical broad heads....

PNW people are definitely not smarter vs harder.
Simple, bro: the wet climate makes moss grow between their ears as well as on their backs. :p

Well, that video was kind of lame. Felt like the guy was testing out his new "shotgun" on his livestock or something. I mean cool for them being able to use a shotgun as if it were a rifle, but seeing as I can use a rifle I am left wondering why he didn't just use a rifle and why anyone bothered to film it as tho shooting a deer in that way has any adventure to it.
I guess the gun itself is cool. I like the concept at least.

Any time someone pushes the "accepted limits" there is usually some backlash. As late as the mid-1960s, many states prohibited hunting deer or larger game with archery gear or handguns. Ostensibly, because such weapons were too inaccurate or lacked power. A decade or two later when big single shot bolt action handguns, with 15 inch barrels, appeared on the scene, some said those were not really handguns.

Indeed, a number of other examples come to mind - but you get the picture.

I took a doe a few years back in a shotgun only unit with a 20 gauge slug out of an unrifled barrel at 30 yards......
I can see the usefulness of something like a bolt action rifled "shotgun" in states or areas where you could safely but not legally shoot a rifle (some areas in the Battle Ground unit come to mind).

I took a doe a few years back in a shotgun only unit with a 20 gauge slug out of an unrifled barrel at 30 yards......
I can see the usefulness of something like a bolt action rifled "shotgun" in states or areas where you could safely but not legally shoot a rifle (some areas in the Battle Ground unit come to mind).
I believe the 12-gauge version is called a .729 Magnum. :)

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top