JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
SO a Bolt action 20 gauge rifled barrel with some souped up 20 ga sabot type round? A scope and a set range that has been zeroed in. Nothing special about that. simple ballistics

Huge drop from a 12ga slug at 100 yards...

I'd say anything past 150 would not be the most ethical way to humanely kill an animal unless you live in a middle state that only allows shotgun hunting, but even then...:oops:.

20ga is great for rabbits, squirrels and grouse only IMO.

I love the caliber though personally.

He climbed the mountain because he could.
Didn't necessarily make it efficient or productive.
Sometimes you just gotta do things out of curiosity or (God Forbid) just because it's fun.

Yes ... But can he do it off hand when he is cold , tired , hungry and in bad weather / lighting?
You know hunting conditions ... Not off a bench at a range.
Which is more or less what he did.
Not really impressed with his "hunting" , shooting maybe , but not what I call hunting.
Andy

Last Edited:
Yes ... But can he do it off hand when he is cold , tired , hungry and in bad weather / lighting?
Not really impressed with his "hunting" , shooting maybe , but not what I call hunting.
Andy

I once killed 2 deer in Texas from a stand, it was like shooting from my living room...... or shooting fish in a barrel.....:eek:

Andy

Heck Andy, your just jealous cause you could see through the smoke after he touched it off! :D

I don't want one!

I do want to know exactly what that rig was, more about the ammo, results from a chronograph and a trajectory chart for that specific round!
I can see this becoming the "thing" for places where rifles are forbidden by law!

Ok, did a little research. The gun appears to be a Savage 220f!

They seem to be quite popular, and seriously accurate. A number of web sights mentioned words like minute of angle and good groups at 300yds! Interesting!:eek:

I also read about some eastern states beginning to allow rifles that shoot straight walled rounds! Calibers mentioned were .357, 460S&W, 500S&W and in at least one state .45/70! The article said that six states either had or were planning the switch.

Last Edited:
One of my friends got this really old boy with a rifled barrel shotgun a couple days ago. He loves hunting the willamette valley with his shotgun but says 100 yards is the ethical maximum. Also was saying the barrels are tough to get. IMG_4313.JPG

Huge drop from a 12ga slug at 100 yards...

I'd say anything past 150 would not be the most ethical way to humanely kill an animal unless you live in a middle state that only allows shotgun hunting, but even then...:oops:.

20ga is great for rabbits, squirrels and grouse only IMO.

I love the caliber though personally.
That kinda what I was thinking but that 280?gr slug was traveling 1900+-fps so that ain't too shabby
The guy who was in charge of the Olympic elk herd by Sequim was shooting 12ga sabots at 250 yards with great results
Heck Hickock45 has a vid of shooting regular 12ga slugs at 230 yards and hitting the 12" gong
They are making better ammo and shot guns for the guys in the middle states.

Andy
Don't those states have too many deer anyway? That may have been their 2-3 deer this season. Maybe they actually hunted? for the others? Lol
Yeah it seems in some places they like to "harvest" deer instead of "hunt" them.
Crap they took 3 on 3 nights in the exact same place and each night there were more deer! Think about how many didn't show up

That guy has the set-up down pat, all he needs is range-sticks and a feeder!
I still have my old bolt action 12ga Mossberg which was a Michigan deer gun back in the day... havent used it in decades probably. Nowadays guys use rifled slug bores with scopes and synthetic stocks etc... The use of the 20 ga with hopped-up slug loads isnt uncommon, so they must be effective...
Southern Michigan is so over run with whitetails that they get hit by cars :eek:IN THE CITY fer pete's sake. We should be so lucky here in Front Range Colorado!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top