JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Been trying to see if there was a thread for this on here already and I'm not having much luck. So does anyone use 300 blackout for hunting in Oregon or the Pacific Northwest? If so what factory/hand load do you use and what do you hunt with it? What distance do you feel comfortable at? If there is a thread, please feel free to point me in that direction.

My reasoning for asking this question is that I just picked up my first 300 blackout and love it and it got me to thinking about hunting applications here in the northeast side of the valley. Such as Willamette Unit. From there I wondered about the rest of the state and other areas.

I think for an all around supersonic hunting load the 110gr barnes tac tx is hard to beat. They are a bit spendy but how many are you going to really shoot once dialed in. Keep shots under 200 yds and the blackout will do it's part. If you reload I can provide my recipe for the tac tx load I use.

Is the rifle you bought a hunting gun or an EBR? Don't want to scare the snowflakes out hiking & get an ERPO...:eek:

Seriously though I haven't hunted for 10 years.
I have a AR pistol in 300BLK that I've shot very well out to 100 yards with iron sights. I reload and use 125g HP for home defense and 150g FMJ for plinking.
Good luck this season.:)

If you want to use .300BO for hunting you need to ENSURE that you are using a projectile that WILL expand at the velocities.

Story to back this up:
I harvested a deer with .300BO using the wrong spire point round. Penetrated chest at a front angle, traveled through body and exited rear ham. There was NO expansion and no bloodshot meat. Clean through and through lengthwise on the animal. Turns out this bullet needed to be 2200-2800fps to properly expand. My rounds were at muzzle around 1800fps and at 100y they were estimated to be around 1500fps. Way below expansion point.

To my benefit, the animal ran 30y and dropped due to a direct lung puncture and not hitting any lower abdominal cavity guts. Chest cavity only and pink foam by the time I approached. I got lucky.

If I ever do it again, I'll hunt close and use subs for a clean shot that are designed to open up at those velocities.

Yep for hunting make sure your bullets are made to expand down to the expected impact velocity. The tac tx's are rated down to 1350 fps so they are gtg for ranges out past 200yds. I still would not shoot beyond 200 though as the energy starts dropping off pretty substantially.

I think for an all around supersonic hunting load the 110gr barnes tac tx is hard to beat. They are a bit spendy but how many are you going to really shoot once dialed in. Keep shots under 200 yds and the blackout will do it's part. If you reload I can provide my recipe for the tac tx load I use.

I too have heard these are some good hunting rounds, USA Midway has these on sale as of this posting at $25/box which is the cheapest that I've seen and they have a coupon code for free shipping. I ordered a couple of boxes to try out.

Hornadys 110 gr V-max does very well at 300 blk velocity's , also speers 150 gr golddot is said to do very well on deer and hogs , I bought four boxes of them but haven't been able to get to my reloading gear since I moved but have some V-max and barnes loaded.

If you want to use .300BO for hunting you need to ENSURE that you are using a projectile that WILL expand at the velocities.

Story to back this up:
I harvested a deer with .300BO using the wrong spire point round. Penetrated chest at a front angle, traveled through body and exited rear ham. There was NO expansion and no bloodshot meat. Clean through and through lengthwise on the animal. Turns out this bullet needed to be 2200-2800fps to properly expand. My rounds were at muzzle around 1800fps and at 100y they were estimated to be around 1500fps. Way below expansion point.

To my benefit, the animal ran 30y and dropped due to a direct lung puncture and not hitting any lower abdominal cavity guts. Chest cavity only and pink foam by the time I approached. I got lucky.

If I ever do it again, I'll hunt close and use subs for a clean shot that are designed to open up at those velocities.
What rifle are you using?

I am very proud of a 300 load I had worked up for a Remington Model 7, the most reliable bullet I found to expand was the 135gr Hornady FTX. There is a factory blackout load using the projectile in their custom line.
+1 on keeping it within 200 yards, that round doesn't have the juice past that.

What rifle are you using?
Rifle wasn't important but it was a Remington 700 5R, full .920" barrel etc, threaded blah blah....

Just too slow for that bullet to expand.

I now have a Ruger Ranch and an AR variant for .300BLK, more friendly for carrying if I ever want to do close quarters hunting.

With the size of a handy rifle in 300 blk it could be an amazing little brush gun for deer in the wooded areas. That was my thinking, never used it for such, but I had fun with experimental loads with 150 spire points trying to get fast velocities. Got to 2000 FPS out of the 16" barrel, which I'd think would do just fine on deer.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top