Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

2nd Season Coast Elk

Discussion in 'Northwest Hunting' started by Yankeefan, Nov 3, 2012.

1. Yankeefan

Yankeefan Southern Oregon Member

Has anyone hunted this before? I never have but want to try something different this year and I like the dates of this hunt. I am going to do some scouting later this month before the season opens up but was wondering which units I should concentrate on and which ones I should stay away from? Obviously melrose is one of them because of the limited public lands.

Also, not asking for your secret honey hole but any tips as to a general area to scout would be helpful as I'v enever hunted that part of the state before.

2. blitz

blitz beaverton Active Member 2015 Volunteer

i seem to see the most elk in the wilson unit but that could be because i spend alot more time there than any other unit.

3. Yankeefan

Thanks Blitz!

I guess no one else hunts this season huh?:confused:

4. sheepdip

sheepdip Redland Well-Known Member

people can be pretty tight lipped about where to hunt anything, especially elk. you get answers like up on secret creek, or notellum butte. i am among those people.

5. Yankeefan

Yeah I know. Believe me I understand too, but was just hoping someone would be willing to give at least a general area in a unit for a guy that had not hunted that area before. Oh well.

6. carracer

carracer Nampa, Idaho Active Member

I think the Wilson tip was a great one! Only place in Oregon I had any kind of success at all. That was 30 years ago tho.

7. joshkk

joshkk Portland, OR New Member

You can look up the ODFW success reports for the previous few years and see where the likelihood has historically been best. That's what I would do without any more specific info. You'll probably find that the Wilson has pretty decent odds.

8. salmonriverjohn

salmonriverjohn N.W Oregon coast, Gods country Well-Known Member

Please pay attention to the regs for the 2ND season applying to the Trask/Wilson unit. The 2ND season is a spike only hunt, and there's been many hunters that cross the boundary and end up loosing their Elk, license and eat a big fine instead of the Elk for not reading the regs.