JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
As I get closer to retirement, I want to fill in some gaps in my shootin' stick collection. I'm wanting an Antelope rifle, not that I have or will ever shoot one but like the thought of being able. I already have a 338 win mag and 30-06 but think I need something smaller in caliber and more flat shooting than the '06 at range and the 338 just seems like over kill. What caliber would you pick and why? I'm not married to the above calibers, they are just 3 rifles in the used market local to me and I'm leaning towards the 25-06 just because it's a caliber I've never owned before.

I have a vintage Remington model 722 in .257 Roberts and after installing a model 700 trigger, bedding the action onto a new old factory stock, plus a Leupold Vari-X scope, it's turned into a great flat shooting rifle that's way more accurate then I am. Plus, it's a pleasure to shoot.

Over here the 7mm is used some,the 25'06 is popular and then there is the 6.5s. Creadmore mostly ,but 6.5 and the 25,26 calibers seem to be the antelope guns
Although I did pull over so a couple hunters could go after some antelope,since I didn't have a tag,and watched the guy get out with some sticks and a smoke pole,lol
All I could think was,that's gunna be a long day

I own a 25.06 (Sako Finn Bear) and bagged antelope with it when I lived in Wyoming. I still use it for deer out here in the PNW.

Great caliber, perfect for deer and antelope. Great range and accuracy. I had to make some tough downhill shots at close to 300 yds with it out in sagebrush land and it still has the power to drop 'em in their tracks. All I ever shot in it was Federal Premium 120 gr Spitzer Boat Tail rounds.

Obviously, my vote is for the 25.06.

Good luck with your choice!

A 7mm Mag, is a nice all around caliber and thinking if one is getting older recoil is very manageable. I personally find the 7mm Mag my favorite over all.

Common calibers or ones that aren't found often on a shelf at the store often?

If it's a gift to yourself:

26 Nosler.

6.5 Creedmoor and 260 Rem both shoot flatter than a .300 WM.

I don't like belted cases much. They were a mistake from the beginning.

.25 caliber is unfortunately disappearing. OTOH 6.5 is definitely on the upswing, lots of bullets available.

I'd consider the .243Win in like a 24" barrel.
Very flat shooting and has some seriously long, long range bullets available.
It seems like quite a few winners use it for top-tier long range shooting competitions.

The 25-06 is an excellent choice! Very flat shooting and easy to load your own. Then I would ream it to 25-06 Ackley Improved...:D

7mm Mag is a great antelope gun, load it with 140 pills and you can reach right out to 500 yards plus! I always have a soft spot for the 7mm Remington Mag, it was my first rifle I bought myself. I went elk hunting over in the Eagle Caps. I had my rifle sighted in at 300 yards.
Saw a bull a little farther away than that, heading straight uphill. I was pretty new at hunting at the time. Aimed a little high and the pill hit him dead center in the spine, and down he went. The old gent I was with said what did you just do? That bull was to far away, he used his old range finder on it and said oh my. 680 yards I was very lucky that day. There was no wind!

I also like the 26 Nosler, I really like it, awesome flat shooting cartridge!! But it tends to be more of a barrel burner than the hot loaded 7MM mag. (3000-4000 rounds) I've seen throat erosion in a couple starting at 800 rounds. Hand loading performance is awesome! So you can increase barrel life by loading your own and keeping an eye on things.:)

Oh and who couldn't love the .243? It's also an great deer/antelope cartridge fully capable and very flat shooting, like @Certaindeaf says. And you can make it perform better by reaming it to Ackley Improved!

25-06. There are many others listed here that are good choices, too, but I would pick the 25-06.
No specific reason, though, except it's the 30-06's baby brother.

first research the bullets available in each caliber and what their BC is, BC is critical for long range shooting. Tibosaurusrex has some great Tubes on LRS (about 70 hours worth). I would avoid the 270 (277)and opt for 25/6.5 just due to bullet choice

first research the bullets available in each caliber and what their BC is, BC is critical for long range shooting. Tibosaurusrex has some great Tubes on LRS (about 70 hours worth). I would avoid the 270 (277)and opt for 25/6.5 just due to bullet choice

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLJUaiRIEduNXoal2_PkBZi0vDCIcEPxUn

Linked for reference. This guy can drone on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on then some more and on and on and on and on and on and on then give some tibit of technical data and then on some more with more and on and on and on, technical data, and on and on then summarize the video with more droning on and on and on.

Yes I've fast forwarded through a few of his videos... well most of them that I have 'watched'.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLJUaiRIEduNXoal2_PkBZi0vDCIcEPxUn

Linked for reference. This guy can drone on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on then some more and on and on and on and on and on and on then give some tibit of technical data and then on some more with more and on and on and on, technical data, and on and on then summarize the video with more droning on and on and on.

Yes I've fast forwarded through a few of his videos... well most of them that I have 'watched'.
+1
After getting really bored with one and turning it off, I contacted my buddy and he sent me a copy of his USMC Sniper Training Manual.

I have or had all of them; 25-06, 270, 7mm rem mag and they are all great guns. If I were looking for an antelope gun it would be the 25-06. Here's why (in my opinion) while all three can be very accurate, the 25-06 is just a natural good shooter and very easy on the shoulder. I have killed a lot of mule deer in my life and that little 25-06 dropped them just as fast as my 300wm did. My 25-06 was just a plane jane ruger 77 and two of my hunting buddies had remington 700s and we would shoot holes through quarters all day long. just my .02

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top