JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The 25-06 is my choice for many reasons, straight foward ease of reloading with easy to find powders, primers and pills.

Accuracy on par with anything out there in its class, with bullets ranging 87 gains@ close to 3500 FPS to120 grains at over 3000 FPS and a felt recoil that everyone can appreciate.

The 257 Roberts +p is another fine choice as is the .243, but the .25-06 takes off where they leave off

The 240 weatherby mag and the .25 are close but component prices and Coe give the edge to the 25-06 as well.

One cartridge not mentioned yet is the 6mm Remington.
I've had excellent luck with mine and would be loath to part with it, but if I had to pick just one of those I've mentioned above and also do own and shoot that covers the gap between my .556 and the /06, it would have to be the .26-06 for me,, but I almost broke out in hives just considering the thought of just one.

I almost broke out in hives just considering the thought of just one.

I'm glad I am not the only one!

I have a rifle that has eluded me for years, and I may need to resort to finding one on auction.
Early 1970's Remington 700 BDL Varmint 25-06....I have watched the racks of all the local shops for years..NOT ONE!

Look at this classic looking antelope rifle! (I had to google cause I don't own one yet!)

25-06.jpg

I have a vintage Remington model 722 in .257 Roberts and after installing a model 700 trigger, bedding the action onto a new old factory stock, plus a Leupold Vari-X scope, it's turned into a great flat shooting rifle that's way more accurate then I am. Plus, it's a pleasure to shoot.

That sounds like my wife's rifle, her dad bought it when Remington first first came out with the 257 Roberts. Her's love 80 to 95 gr bullets over IMR3031. Its put lots of deer in the freezer.

Last Edited:
I found that old Remington 722 on Craigslist of all places for only $85.00.
The new old Remington stock on eBay for $72.00. Traded for the 700 trigger and had a gunsmith friend bed the action for me. Well worth the effort.

Ok.........

Antelope hunting requires longer range shooting, but not true LONG range shooting. A capable HUNTER can get within 500 yards of an antelope. Under 500, maximum point blank range is more important to me than high BC. Why? It gives you the most margin of error on your hold. If you arent twisting turrets or using a custom reticle, its nice to give yourself a shallower trajectory. Short flight time helps too.

Antelope are narrow in the shoulders. Quick expansion is necessary. If you arent gonna azz shoot it, you dont need something that will traverse the length of a horse.

Wind will be a factor, short flight time helps decrease the effects of wind.

Im not a 25-06 fan because 6mm bullets of similar weight are more aerodynamic on the light side and the 270 with a 130gr bullet shoots as flat as a 25-06 with 115gr bullets. I'd shoot a 270, 270 wsm, or 7mm rem mag over a 25-06. Especially in wind.

If you must go quarter bore......257 Weatherby Magnum

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top