JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Some people say .223 is fine for deer, some say .243 is fine, some say you need .308 at least, and based on how people be talkin you might end up thinking you need .50 bmg cause deer start wearing armor under the fur all of the sudden. :confused:

It may not be up to the task of shooting mule deer at 500 yards, but within it's reasonable limitations it's an excellent deer round, one of the best.

Shot my first deer at 14 yrs. (36 now), mule buck, at 450 + yards with a .243. Though I don't know if I would make the same shot again, the .243 is very effective out to 500 yards (and probably more in the right hands).
All in all I have killed a couple muleys with .243 and will be hunting deer with same .243 again this year.

One kind of cougar is defeated with a big gun; the other kind usually leaves you alone if they see a tiny little gun.

Usually. When I was little, we found a man. He looked like... like, butchered. The old women in the village crossed themselves... and whispered crazy things- strange things. "El Diablo cazador de hombres." Only in the hottest years this happens- and this year, it grows hot. We begin finding our men. We found them sometimes without their skins... and sometimes much, much worse. ..."El cazador trofeo de los hombres" means "the demon who makes trophies of men".

243 is a good round, in research I checked out several 6mm/243 rounds. 6mm Remington being the better performance round by a bit, but harder to get as far as rifles and ammo go. The 243 is a tad slower but not much, still suitable for varmit, small game and deer, depending on bullet weight.

been attacked by a few cougars in the past, wrestled them a bit, then let them go.

Usually. When I was little, we found a man. He looked like... like, butchered. The old women in the village crossed themselves... and whispered crazy things- strange things. "El Diablo cazador de hombres." Only in the hottest years this happens- and this year, it grows hot. We begin finding our men. We found them sometimes without their skins... and sometimes much, much worse. ..."El cazador trofeo de los hombres" means "the demon who makes trophies of men".
Haha, nice Predator reference. "Ain't no man..."

243 is a good round, in research I checked out several 6mm/243 rounds. 6mm Remington being the better performance round by a bit, but harder to get as far as rifles and ammo go. The 243 is a tad slower but not much, still suitable for varmit, small game and deer, depending on bullet weight.

been attacked by a few cougars in the past, wrestled them a bit, then let them go.

The 6mm died because of its original twist rate. Factory rifles wouldn't stabilize the 100gr bullet. By the time Remington got its head out of its azz, the 243 was too entrenched and popular. Being a child of the 308 didn't hurt either. It actually fits in a short action.

A 70gr Ballistic Tip pushed to 3500 fps makes a nifty coyote load.

The 55 gr Ballistic Tip at 3800 is even better. :D

I have a 90s era stainless Model Seven. Hands down it is my favorite hunting rifle and the only rifle I carry for blacktail. It has also taken three whitetail in Montana.

I have two loads for it. The aforementioned 55 gr load for varmints and a 95 gr Ballistic Tip load for deer.

E

.243 is a legit deer cartridge.

I would rather have a 6mm Remington, though.
Which I do...

Have a 25-06 too, but some of those 6mm/.243 pills are nice, little arrows.
Makes the .257 pills look like little tugboats.

:D

I haven't hunted in many years, but I'm a big fan of the 25-06. I have an old Rem700 in 25-06 that is a very accurate rifle.

The are so many great low-recoil deer rifle cartridges in this class. One friend has a .257 Roberts and loves it. Another has hunted with a .250 Savage for a lot of years.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top