JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
From what I can see, it looks like the rifle has been restocked. The recoil pad looks wrong as well. While I can't swear to it, I think those also came with the "Vent Rib" feature. You might want to check GunBroker or some other website for more info. If it shoots, then I'd put it as a $400-500.00 value. Sorry, just looks wrong somehow.

From what I can see, it looks like the rifle has been restocked. The recoil pad looks wrong as well. While I can't swear to it, I think those also came with the "Vent Rib" feature. You might want to check GunBroker or some other website for more info. If it shoots, then I'd put it as a $400-500.00 value. Sorry, just looks wrong somehow.
Rifle was bought new about 20 ish years ago and was never modified or restocked.

Here is what it looked like when it was new.

zbTNvvh.jpg

Keep it, and shoot it. It's a handy little rifle regardless if it's original or not.

It looks correct except for the stock, and it like to be in pretty good shape as well. While the stock does detract from the value, it should be about a $350-$500 rifle. On the low side because of the stock, and the higher value if it were correct!
These were based on the 660 scout with out the vent rib and sharks fin front sight, and also with out a barrel mounted rear sight. Those can fetch $500 -800 depending on year of manufacture and which caliber either .308 win, or .35 rem!:) finding the correct stock will be a serious challenge, and prolly not worth the effort, but you could try!
GLWS!

Also, from my reading, the recoil pad was only present on the .350 Magnum and some of the .308s. I had one of the original 600 in .308 with a pad.

"With gangbuster sales of the Model 700, it seemed like there was less and less reason to continue the more rifle-like Model 660. The model 660 was discontinued in 1971. It had a short four-year run, just like the Model 600.

But Remington still was not quite done with the doglegged bolt action carbine. In the following year, 1972, Remington brought back the Model 600, but as the Model 600 Mohawk. The Mohawk reinstated the 18½" barrel, but still the vent rib was gone. Instead of a walnut stock, the Mohawk used a beech stock.

Mohawk.jpg
The Model 600 Mohawk – 1972-1979
The Mohawk was a bargain-basement rifle meant to be sold by high volume retailers like the large sporting goods chains. Remington kept a high minimum order quantity for the Mohawk. Only the bigger retailers could afford to buy such large batches, but not the mom and pop gun stores. The chains were able to sell them for low prices.

The Mohawk lasted through 1979 with a total volume of around 97,600 made. Calibers offered in the Mohawk were .222, .243, 6mm Rem, and .308 Win. "

Not going to argue the stock issue. I just know that this was how the gun was purchased years ago. Reading the post I suddenly feel much older as I realize that I first shot this rifle back in the late 70s to early 80s. The rifle could have been modified prior to it being purchased. I was young and it was new to me lol.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top