JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Do not listen to the naysayers that poo poo the 243 as a deer cartridge. It is great round for deer size game and under. It lends itself to accurate shot placement with its mild recoil and that is 90% of the battle right there.

If I understand correctly, it's got about the same punch as a 30-30 which has been killing deer since the 1800s. I wouldn't hesitate

Every cartridge has it's limitations, but I can't imagine why anyone would say the .243Win isn't a good dear round in general.

It may not be up to the task of shooting mule deer at 500 yards, but within it's reasonable limitations it's an excellent deer round, one of the best.

1E59348C-A971-44AA-BBCC-76BE613509D1.jpeg

Shot my share with a .243 over the last 40 years. Pick the right bullet as the cartridge has both deer and varmint bullets available. I personally use 100gr Federal PowerShok. It's also not a " long range" cartridge, but the majority of deer hunters aren't exactly long range shooters either. Stay within its limitations and it works fine.

Last Edited:
I have taken many deer over the years with .243 and never had a problem.

In fact, it's my preferred deer cartridge in my kind of open country! I don't get the naysayers... more apt if skeptical about .222 and deer hunting. Used with hunting bullets, I used 100gr Sierra boattails, the cartridge is very flat shooting... a distinct advantage for Point Blank Range, where computing holdover is not a factor.

Next in line would be 6mm Remington... similar ballistics out of a different case profile. But harder to find ammo. I also like 30-30 and .308 for brush.

.270 would also be fine in open country but has more recoil.

Last Edited:
If twisted correctly, the 243 is a very fun and versatile cartridge. It owns its fair share of 1000 yard records. I prefer a 1 in 9, but most factory rifles are twisted 1 in 10. Beware the odd rifle that is twisted 1 in 12. For deer, I've used 85gr Barnes TSX, 95gr Ballistic Tips, and 100gr Partitions. All performed great.

On game, I've never considered it a good "beginner" cartridge because it doesn't have the margin of error as some of the more potent cartridges. I see it as more of an expert's cartridge. Its for someone who is willing to wait for an unobstructed shot with a clean path to vitals. I don't mean obstruction as in branches or bushes, but larger bones. I'd also keep ranges within 350 yards or so, and only if you know how to place your shots.

I got into using a 243 because it was twisted faster than the 22-250 and I could shoot heavier bullets at the same velocities to get through the wind. I was living in eastern WA at the time and shot rockchucks in the spring and coyotes during the rest of the year.

I have used or seen used a .243 on a dozen deer up to mule deer at up to 300 yds with no issues. My father has even used one for a cow elk. I second the comments about using the right bullets, because it also makes an excellent varmint round. 100 grain federal power shoks work fine, as that is what I've seen used.

I have used or seen used a .243 on a dozen deer up to mule deer at up to 300 yds with no issues. My father has even used one for a cow elk. I second the comments about using the right bullets, because it also makes an excellent varmint round. 100 grain federal power shoks work fine, as that is what I've seen used.

A 70gr Ballistic Tip pushed to 3500 fps makes a nifty coyote load.

A 70gr Ballistic Tip pushed to 3500 fps makes a nifty coyote load.

So does a pickup truck with the lights flashing and the horn blowing. :D

I waxed a 'yote years ago that way. He just stood there like a dink while I plowed him over. Truck stunk for days like burning flesh and strangely like a charcoal barbecue. Apparently a bunch of the guts got on the exhaust.

I popped one with a 12 gauge slug once too. Damn thing jumped straight up in the air I swear like 8 feet. Then hit the ground like a sack of potatoes and never moved again. It kinda reminded me of a cartoon. POW! :s0140:

Im looking at getting a Rem. 873 in .243 would it be able to kill a deer because I have seen people go both ways.
Lots of people go both ways.

But regarding to the .243, you can make some crazy accurate loads with 90gr bullets and handloading. .243 is a great low recoil and blazing fast barrel burner too if you load em fast.

Either way, I know many who have dropped animals. Including one guy who spilled two boxes of ladders I loaded for him and they were all still accurate.

Never has any issue with the .243, the Wife LOVES hers and it's a frickin Laser beam, one squeeze of the trigger = dear in the freezer!
I have taken two elk with mine, and while it did so quite well, I prefer the extra edge of something bigger! @No_Regerts nailed it, it's an experts tool for someone who has the skills to place a bullet exactly where it's needed to do the job! Is it the best, NO, but it's damn good! They are flat shootin, accurate, low recoil, buck the wind, and with the right bullet, deadly on everything with in their reach!

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top