JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a rifle in each of these chamberings. I feel there is some overlap between the 243 and .22-250, with the .243 being much more versatile. I also feel there is a lot of overlap between the .243 and the .25-06, with the .243 having cheaper ammo, more factory load options (important until I get back into reloading), and covers a lot of the bases covered by the .25-06.

My intended uses for rifles are shooting for fun, currently out to around 300 yards, but hoping to start reaching out to 500-600 once I get better optics; and hunting/shooting anything between nutria, coyotes, pronghorn, blacktail, and elk. Out of all of that, elk hunting is where the .25-06 outdoes the .243, but I'm not sure I would want to take a shot on one beyond 200 yards with the .25-06. Maybe I'm selling it short, but I'm new to elk hunting and would rather "overdo" it than under.

So, I'm definitely keeping the .243. I don't see what the .22-250 does for me that the .243 can't. The .243 also almost takes the place of the .25-06 in my scenario. I'm contemplating selling both the .22-250 and the .25-06, and getting a 300 win mag or 7mm mag. But, I would like to hear the input of others to make sure there isn't something important I'm overlooking.

Last Edited:
I would consider the .25-06 to be a little light (actually a lot light) for Elk unless you are keeping the range to less than 200 yards. And then ONLY if you are limiting yourself to head shots. I believe that a minimum of a 150gr. .30 caliber is needed to put down an Elk. Lots of folks think that a 180-220gr. in a .30 caliber is needed. I won't Completely disagree with that. I personally think the .22-250 is an excellent replacement for the .223 and other "Poodle Shooters" because it's a Real cartridge. If you go to a .30 caliber you can do a whole lot of things by buying lighter or heavier loadings. I'm not a big fan of the .243 because I have a couple of .308s which cover the same things.

Just my 5 pennies worth.

Im not a huge 25-06 fan because the 243 is better in the wind with bullets up to 105-110 grs and larger calibers are more effective when bullet weights exceed 110gr.

I'd keep the 243, sell the others, and buy a big game caliber of at least 7mm. From 58gr to 105gr, the 243 does everything up to deer pretty well. The 105gr bullet actually carries further and bucks the wind better than most 25-06 loads. If you end up in any wind/longer ranges or hunting things bigger than deer, you pull out your larger rifle.

I personally think the .22-250 is an excellent replacement for the .223 and other "Poodle Shooters" because it's a Real cartridge.

Just my 5 pennies worth.

In a custom rifle with a faster twist, maybe. With factory twists in the 22-250 being 1 in 12 or 14, the "real cartridge" wont stabilize anything heavier than 60gr. The extra jump in the scope during recoil makes it less desireable than the 223 or 204 for shooting small animals and spotting your hits. If you are going to deal with the extra recoil, might as well shoot a 9 or 10 twist 243 that can be had straight from the factory.

Sometimes I wish I had only one rifle that would work just fine for Antelope, Deer and Elk. But like you, I own several rifles and often contemplate the best cartridge for a given task...but this is part of the fun. Your 3 rifles are obviously fairly long rang choices. If you don't hunt prairie dogs, rock chucks or other varmints I'd let the 22-250 go and the 243 would still work well for varmints. I wish I had not sold my 25-06 which is a superb deer/antelope gun. For Elk you will receive many opinions here. I've seen many killed and killed my share with 270, 308, 30-06, but most with a 300 Weatherby with 200gr Nosler partitions. So I'll always lean towards too much gun. IMHO a 7mm mag or 300 mag loaded with heavy for caliber bullets are perfect. I'd say you are right on target. I'd keep the 243 and buy a 300. Enjoy your decision and first Elk.

In a custom rifle with a faster twist, maybe. With factory twists in the 22-250 being 1 in 12 or 14, the "real cartridge" wont stabilize anything heavier than 60gr. The extra jump in the scope during recoil makes it less desireable than the 223 or 204 for shooting small animals and spotting your hits. If you are going to deal with the extra recoil, might as well shoot a 9 or 10 twist 243 that can be had straight from the factory.
As I said, just my 5 cents worth.

Again, just my opinion, I'm not a fan of the 7mm Remington Magnum. It just seems to go too fast to get the job done at shorter Ranges. And, most game is taken at less than a 100 yards, at least, in Western Washington.

Again my 5 pennies worth.

Again, just my opinion, I'm not a fan of the 7mm Remington Magnum. It just seems to go too fast to get the job done at shorter Ranges. And, most game is taken at less than a 100 yards, at least, in Western Washington.

I'm leaning toward the 300 win mag. I don't have anything in the 7mm family at the moment, and don't see a need to complicate things.

I would agree, off the .22/250 and the .25/06 but wouldn't recommnd the .300 unless your shooting beyond 400 yards, why punish your self in recoil with no apriciable difference in performance over the .270 or
30/06! If you just have to have a "Magnum" the better performance you can actually benefit from is .338 Win Mag. JMHO!

IMO a hand loaded 25-06 is gtg for elk but your not handloading so I would look to something different. The 25-06 really shines when handloaded and 115g bullets can take an elk but just like any rifle shot placement is key. If you shoot out to 5-600 yards the 25-06 is in elite company.

.300 Win mag and you will never look back. If you are recoil sensitive choose the 7MM Rem mag. It is more like a push than a thump.
First, I would think about the kind of country you hunt elk in. You may not need a super long range rifle. I hunt a lot with 7mm mag but consider it light for elk size game as well. It is a wonderful long range deer rifle and I have learned long ago to only use (Nosler) partition bullets curing the bullets fragmentation at close range. 300 mag is a wonderful versitle caliber if you need range. The classic northwest elk caliber was 35 Whelan but it isn't great over a couple of hundred yards. I agree on trading off the 22-250 and 25-06 if you need to finance a different rifle. I like a 338 Win Mag a lot but traded mine off because I love my 378 Weatherby Magnum (I am not recoil sensitive) and it was unused in my safe. My Kodiak island resident best friend uses a 338 for everything including big bear. 25-06 is a high speed deer rifle but the 243 is also effective and a sweet shooter. 22-250 is a fun cartridge but outside of shooting varmits is not a great hunting caliber. If you don't need the range, there is nothing wrong with the good old 30-06 for elk and other big game.

Last Edited:
I would agree, off the .22/250 and the .25/06 but wouldn't recommnd the .300 unless your shooting beyond 400 yards, why punish your self in recoil with no apriciable difference in performance over the .270 or
30/06! If you just have to have a "Magnum" the better performance you can actually benefit from is .338 Win Mag. JMHO!

That's a good point. I don't have to have a magnum. I think it would be unlikely for me to take a shot of more than 300 yards on an elk. I know I can put a round in the boiler room at that distance. If I get comfortable at longer distances after a couple years of practice, I can always add a magnum to the collection.

The funny thing is, I used to have a .30-06 back east, but it didn't fit me right, so I got rid of it and bought the .25-06, figuring it would do everything I needed there.

7mm mag is fine for elk. 140gr partition will do the job reliably. 25/06 is certainly too small.

I've never used bullets on the light end unless using monolithics. Using something like a Barnes TSX or TTSX allows you to decrease weight because there is no lead core to shed weight. Believe it or not, the 130gr TTSX out of a 300 WM is devastating on big animals. I'm talking soup for vitals and exit holes the size of tennis balls. Just dont hit guts....

I've never used bullets on the light end unless using monolithics. Using something like a Barnes TSX or TTSX allows you to decrease weight because there is no lead core to shed weight. Believe it or not, the 130gr TTSX out of a 300 WM is devastating on big animals. I'm talking soup for vitals and exit holes the size of tennis balls. Just dont hit guts....

I have been meaning to try those Barnes TTSX bullets in 6.5X55 Swede, I bet they are simply awesome! Especially in the heavier weights 120 gr on up!:)

I have been meaning to try those Barnes TTSX bullets in 6.5X55 Swede, I bet they are simply awesome! Especially in the heavier weights 120 gr on up!:)

Speed is your friend with these. They are not LR hunting bullets. Once they slow down, the start to expand less reliably. They are also not great in the wind. Thats why I was intrigued by the 130gr bullet at a starting velocity of 3400 fps. Flight time is zilch and its real flat.

I have been shooting them in my 6.5X55 for nearly 10 years. They are great bullets. I started using them in California in the lead ban areas but wouldn't go back to any lead bullet over them.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top