JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Anybody try a mag primer in a 223 case topped with 35-40 gr bullet sans powder. Might just work out of a short barreled 223. Might have to give it a go in a 10.5" ar. You would find out quickly if it is a really bad idea.:s0140:

Anybody try a mag primer in a 223 case topped with 35-40 gr bullet sans powder. Might just work out of a short barreled 223. Might have to give it a go in a 10.5" ar. You would find out quickly if it is a really bad idea.:s0140:

I'm wondering if my 7 1/2 inch 5.56 pistol build may need a different recipe than my 16 inch ARs...

Might have to try some .22 cal pellets to start. Seems I saw a kit for reloading pellets with primer only some time back. Might have been with some kind of modified case though.

Edit- found a utube vid. case modded to take shotgun primer. Gotta try this! In another vid he chronos a 13gr pellet and gets about 623 fps.

Last Edited:
Might have to try some .22 cal pellets to start. Seems I saw a kit for reloading pellets with primer only some time back. Might have been with some kind of modified case though.

Edit- found a utube vid. case modded to take shotgun primer. Gotta try this! In another vid he chronos a 13gr pellet and gets about 623 fps.

ramset-loads-boosters-00607-64_300.jpg + pper-plated-22-cal-21-12-grains-round-nose-200ct-5.gif =:)

Look for youtube video......

Allright it was raining like crazy when I got home so I gave it a go. I chucked 4 cases up in the lathe an did the mod on them to accept a 209 primer. After drilling with B drill bit you have to use a counter sink and make room for rim of primer so you can close bolt on rifle. I left just some feel when camming bolt closed. I used a lee factory crimp die to tighten necks a bit and then shoved 14.3 gr crosman .22 wadcutter pellets in until flush and then crimp in place with lee die. AD0CFDD6-EFD9-49FB-A7B6-8452FE5FB727.jpeg
I then proceeded to shoot 3 out of ruger american ranch in .556 with 16" barrel and 1-8 twist. Good news is the all went bang and launched pellets clear of the barrel and even all hit the target 20yds away. The bad news is they did not stabilize and went through the cardboard sideways making a 2" group. 073A01B7-E49E-4620-B7F1-BFAC13084E3E.jpeg 19D3792B-6B17-459F-B57F-D14BA12EF33D.jpeg
They were relatively quiet but not silenced subsonic 22 quiet. I am damn glad I didn't screw my can on after seeing the keyholing strikes. With all that is going on it was a fun diversion for a couple hours but I probably won't pursue it further. If I do I will look for better projectiles to seat further out towards lands to try for stable flight.:cool:

Allright it was raining like crazy when I got home so I gave it a go. I chucked 4 cases up in the lathe an did the mod on them to accept a 209 primer. After drilling with B drill bit you have to use a counter sink and make room for rim of primer so you can close bolt on rifle. I left just some feel when camming bolt closed. I used a lee factory crimp die to tighten necks a bit and then shoved 14.3 gr crosman .22 wadcutter pellets in until flush and then crimp in place with lee die. View attachment 673620
I then proceeded to shoot 3 out of ruger american ranch in .556 with 16" barrel and 1-8 twist. Good news is the all went bang and launched pellets clear of the barrel and even all hit the target 20yds away. The bad news is they did not stabilize and went through the cardboard sideways making a 2" group.View attachment 673622View attachment 673623
They were relatively quiet but not silenced subsonic 22 quiet. I am damn glad I didn't screw my can on after seeing the keyholing strikes. With all that is going on it was a fun diversion for a couple hours but I probably won't pursue it further. If I do I will look for better projectiles to seat further out towards lands to try for stable flight.:cool:
I made some subsonic .223 years ago with I want to say Dogtown 55gr and a very light load of some common brand of shotgun powder - Tightwad maybe? I can look up the recipe - it was in one of the common reloading books. They were very accurate. For a friend with a shoulder problem. She loved them.

Post it up if you can find it . Now that The Govs have spoken shooting "yard loads" might be all we get for awhile.:s0010:
It was Clays. From Hogdon's reloading reference: Take Aim at Rifle Reloading Data | Hodgdon Reloading :

Powder: Hogdon Clays; 3.2 gr
Bullet: 55 gr Hornady FMJ (I used Midway Dogtown 55 gr.)
COL: 2.20
Velocity: 1060
Pressure: 3,700 CUP
I used a standard small rifle primer, don't recall which one.

You read the chamber pressure right. :)
Crazy quiet, surprisingly accurate. Only shot it from 10 to 30 yards. Probably drop like a rock somewhere past 100 yards.

Just a note I wanted to share after having a horrible experience with 22lrreloader.

HIGHLY RECOMMEND AVOIDING THE SITE

I ordered items on Apr 15th and still have received nothing. Continue to receive BS about a lost shipment and re-shipment, but the seller refuses to provide me a tracking number. I'm glad some people have received the item, but it's not worth the risk of buying in my mind.

AVOID

You outta try loading .25 acp very slow process and tedious. I use 1.2 gr. Of 700x or red dot
I do it because I enjoy the process and it's more cost effective once you get the dies and such!

Stacy
I do, just did 250 last week. I use 1.4 grn of AA#2, I was surprised how accurately it measures out of my RCBS powder measure. I'm trying some Bear Creek 55 grn lead to see how well they work. You are correct, reloading .25acp is tedious, it's a labor of love. It's so freaking tiny.

I do, just did 250 last week. I use 1.4 grn of AA#2, I was surprised how accurately it measures out of my RCBS powder measure. I'm trying some Bear Creek 55 grn lead to see how well they work. You are correct, reloading .25acp is tedious, it's a labor of love. It's so freaking tiny.
You must be very patient. I can't even suffer .380. It's funny that I fumble 380 cases yet I can do 9 mm even though it is still mildly annoying. For automatics I much prefer my 40 cal or a 45. My revolvers and rifles have longer cases so it doesn't seem to be as irritating with 38. I would like to try that 327 Magnum at some point. I need some money :p

You must be very patient. I can't even suffer .380. It's funny that I fumble 380 cases yet I can do 9 mm even though it is still mildly annoying. For automatics I much prefer my 40 cal or a 45. My revolvers and rifles have longer cases so it doesn't seem to be as irritating with 38. I would like to try that 327 Magnum at some point. I need some money :p
45acp and 357mag are a pleasure to reload

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads