JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I was thinking of applying this concept to knife making in an emergency.. I need to set aside a few things.

A large file
A 300 pound anvil
A couple different sizes of hammers
A forge
A ton of coal
A hand operated grinder
A quart of tempering oil
Assorted blacksmith tongs
A belt sander
A leather sewing kit
Thread
Leather
Elk antler
Brass for the guard/pommel
Tinners rivets

If knives become impossible to find I can just make one for myself.

Or as my wife suggested I could just buy a couple of knives and hide them in my sock drawer in case they're ever needed.

I was thinking of applying this concept to knife making in an emergency.. I need to set aside a few things.

A large file
A 300 pound anvil
A couple different sizes of hammers
A forge
A ton of coal
A hand operated grinder
A quart of tempering oil
Assorted blacksmith tongs
A belt sander
A leather sewing kit
Thread
Leather
Elk antler
Brass for the guard/pommel
Tinners rivets

If knives become impossible to find I can just make one for myself.

Or as my wife suggested I could just buy a couple of knives and hide them in my sock drawer in case they're ever needed.

Just like I'm going to not shoot up my last couple thousand 22LR.

I bought one of these kits, they are very well manufactured and best, the Printed instructions are done on 80# glossy paste board. Full Color.

They give a very nice Pro&Con on removing, or restoring the dimpled "strike zone" or NOT, & they do not remove.

This WEEK, they ADDED a four part Non Haz Material charge Primer Mix, that will prime 2,000 for 19.95, They Pay the shipping.

I have Talked on the phone to the president of the company, seems like a good thing.

So some here think doing one at a time is not worth it, my feeling is: 22LR is to expensive for a Single Cartridge, to Reuse that Cartridge Even Twice, lowers the initial Cost Per Round!

So... You reloaders.... ~why is it~ You/we RELOAD! Beyond specialized cartridges its is Primarily COST!!!!

Dead 22LR & Three Cents of Product makes a 22LR, I remember think Four Cents a cartridge was a deal, after the Prices went up MORE....

Because when I First bought 22LR, Our Hardware Store would sell BY the Single Cartridge to us young Un's, AND made twice as much that way... But we got that money, from a Coke Bottle return, or two. And if we were GOOD, we could take the killed crows to get Bounty on them, where we could then buy a WHOLE BOX of Fifty Rounds.... We thought we were Rich then, and our Farmers Loved our helping them with Pest Control!!!!

So laugh all you want at One at a time....

And congrats to those who bought $10/Bricks of 500, I have been dirt Poor to medium poor many times in my life, and yet have Bought, Paid for and sold a home at over three times buying Price, BOUGHT 20 Acres, Built my Log Cabin for my Family, and Then lost it...

~~~~> these are trying times, Frankly, I expect it to get WORSE <~~~~~~~~

How many here really have lived on Zero income, because of a Hardship Issue?????

Who here has Fed there Family on Squirrel, Six Days a week, that means 36 Shots of 22LR, because you can not Afford to Miss???

I stand down from my Soap Box, and offer the Microphones 5 Minutes, to the next person.

philip.... Reloading, One at a time, with a Lee Original Loader, 357 Mag since 1978, with cast bullets melted over a campfire...

What I have today ~is~ Modern Technology compared to that, but... I still know how. o_O

Me thinks post #24 is off a Zero... Or two even...

But then, I had to unblock my ignore to read it, I only saw the post count Jump 22, 23, 25... And was curious...

$30/1000 Equals $ 0.03 OR three Cents a round...

It is possible to purchase Centerfire Pistol @ Thirty Cents a round and lower, but Three Cents a Centerfire????

But what I shoot, I Reload, and NOW, that includes 22 LONG RIFLE, rimfire in Two weight categories with at least Four Feet Per Second rates of fire, giving Four levels of Sound Projection, from ~Cat Sneeze~ To supersonic... I only did a small amount of hypersonic shooting, and it makes my Boat Drain, not Float....

YMMV.

philip Reloaders do it one at a time, even if they own a nice Progressive Machine, one cartridge in, one cartridge out.

Crickets.....

Can anybody find me a Advertisement for a thousand Rounds of Centerfire ammo for the price of $30.00???? In present day time?????

Crickets Excrete.

philip
Hey Philip, no one will know you're talking to them if you don't quote. Anyway, I said "shoot".. not buy. little hint there for ya

I will lend my vote to just buying more commercial ammo.

I have enough that in a SHTF situation I would have about 1K+ rounds per rimfire firearm (I have 9 .22 rimfire firearms, my kids have 3), which would be enough for hunting purposes as I really doubt that I would use more than about 50 per month per person.

It isn't like commercial ammo is totally unavailable - I've had chances to buy another 2K to 5K rounds total here in the last couple of months, but they weren't enough in one batch to make it worth the trip to where the ammo was and I figured I would let others pick them up as I have enough for now.

The cost and time to reload them, plus the questionable reliability (IMO) or the reloaded ammo, just doesn't seem like a good trade off. Right now, in the time it would take to reload 500 rounds, I could earn 10x the theoretical cost savings and spend that on commercial ammo.

It would be nice if they offered it in .25 and .32 rimfire to feed my antiques.
Old, shootable ammo for these is $2.00 a round if you can find it.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440263294.197196.jpg

Years ago I picked enough primers to last my lifetime. From that batch along with some red dot, I load 38 specials for my model 92 lever action at a cost of about $25 per thousand. However, I cast my own from a stash of free wheel weights and my costs are pre-panic. If I had to buy primers and powder today, it would cost me at least $50 per thousand using my wheel weights. The costs of everything have gone up in these times.

Years ago I picked enough primers to last my lifetime. From that batch along with some red dot, I load 38 specials for my model 92 lever action at a cost of about $25 per thousand. However, I cast my own from a stash of free wheel weights and my costs are pre-panic. If I had to buy primers and powder today, it would cost me at least $50 per thousand using my wheel weights. The costs of everything have gone up in these times.
My heavens! You sure you didn't misplace a couple decimal points or brain cells? lol
I'd still use Tula small rifle for my small primered handguns (just a logistics thing for me) and Promo were I to need to buy more fixin's.. instead of RD.. last I bought of that was $84 per 8lbs and $17/1000.. a couple years ago.
never hardly shot .22 my whole dang life.. what's the point

.The cost and time to reload them, plus the questionable reliability (IMO) or the reloaded ammo, just doesn't seem like a good trade off. Right now, in the time it would take to reload 500 rounds, I could earn 10x the theoretical cost savings and spend that on commercial ammo.
It would give you more time at the golf course. lol
For most people, reloading is a hobby.. like golf or waterskiing.. just perhaps a bit more practical for those times when your $10,000 in gold won't buy a single round a .38.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top