JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Post your pictures here:

deer2012-3.jpg
deer2012-2.jpg

Nice zig zag which area were you hunting in? I'm not asking for your secret area just curious which areas. I have never hunted up here before, just down in Eugene areas where I grew up!

Nice zig zag which area were you hunting in? I'm not asking for your secret area just curious which areas. I have never hunted up here before, just down in Eugene areas where I grew up!

I hunt private land near Maupin in Unit 41. It's mostly rolling hills with random shaped wheat fields in between the lava flows. The lava flows are areas of bowling ball sized rocks with junipers and brush growing up through them. There are also deep (like 500') canyons scattered here and there. The canyons are good bedding areas, with big trees and thick brush, as well as school bus sized rocks. I try to find bottlenecks in daily migration paths, like gullies leading into and out of canyons. A well worn and recently used path, if followed will generally lead you to a good spot. If there is an alfalfa patch anywhere around, the deer will have super highways between that and the nearest thick cover, like a canyon.

WapinitaCanyon-edgesouthwest.jpg

This canyon is surrounded by wheat fields. Good hunting. To give you some perspective, that's a 30' tree in the foreground. I dropped this year's buck about on the right edge of this picture and about 3/4 miles away from this position. About 200 yards from where I shot last year's. The year before that I shot a buck right at this spot. Unfortunately, he went over the edge before I could finish him with a second shot. Took all day to get him back out of there.

Large areas of State owned land is closed the Abiqua Basin hunting area East of Silver Creek Falls State Park is timber land and some State land and it is all FIRE gated and signed no entry.
West of Blodgett all Starker Timber land has been locked up. A few of the roads are still open. But this morning I even passed up driving down one road cause there was tall enough grass in the middle to hit my Muffler and Cat on my pickup and no way were going to risk starting a fire.

I don't know about the rest of the state but all private timberland is locked down. They are not even allowing non-motorized access. A buddy and I went and hunted some public land that was open. They were still running some logging operations up there but have shut access to the public down.

I don't know about the rest of the state but all private timberland is locked down. They are not even allowing non-motorized access. A buddy and I went and hunted some public land that was open. They were still running some logging operations up there but have shut access to the public down.

Can't edit my post...damn tapatalk. This is for Clackamas county.

there are plenty places to hunt just gotta find them. we have our spot for this year and seen a few deer so far but nothing with horns. we did get a porcupine yesterday though. that is getting cooked up today..

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top