JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I got nothin. whole family got together for the first time in years. everyones favorite spot were closed for fire. spent four days driving around looking for something. tracks or scat or something. nothing. not a single deer. what a waste. all i killed was a couple hundred in diesel and a fuel filter.

i doubt 10% of the tags issue for the upper deschutes unit got filled and probably not much beer in metoleus.

well it is always nice to get the whole family together for an adventure none the less, even if nothing was bagged. so far i have used 180$ in gas not to mention snacks, gear and so on. i enjoy getting out there and a deer would just be a bonus and i will continue to throw money in this year to do so.
hey maybe you will find a better spot that you can go back to next year.

No elk this year, but I got my first archery kill this year! I was pretty stoked, even if she was a dinky little blacktail doe. Shot her at 65 yards, double lung, she ran about 50 yards and rolled about 100 yards down the hill. So tiny I threw her over my shoulder and carried her out; all in all about 45 lbs of delicious meat that isn't the slightest bit gamey and has been fork-tender every time we've cooked it. Couldn't be happier!

Some of you guys need to do a little more hiking and or biking go farther than the last guy and you will find animals

I agree 100% - I'm a med student so unfortunately time is not something I have a lot of when it comes to hunting... When evening and early morning hunts are your only options, the saying "beggars can't be choosers" quickly becomes a reality ;)

We got skunked in Unit 46 this year. Too hot and dry, try sneaking up on deer when its crunch, crunch, crunch with every step you take.
Saw a few does, a couple of spikes but no branch bucks. My son and I drew rifle tags for that area but alas success eluded us.

But its all about the time together and fun camping with friends and family. If you get a deer that's a nice bonus. The six of us had a fun time.

buck.jpg
First deer, from the Mt Jefferson wilderness. I'm glad it was so small after packing it+all my camping gear out of the wilderness. My brother and I saw a total of at least 6 legal bucks during the first two days.

buck.jpg

well the rains seem to be helping. yesterday we seen a total of 15 deer, 2 of them being bucks. unfortunately none of them went to the back of the truck, the only 2 bucks were seen on the drive up to our spot.

How do you eat porcupine? And what is the taste like?

Pictures?

i had a friend come over and butcher it for us, he took it home and cooked it the next day with some sauce that he makes and we had porcupine tacos.
it kinda tastes like pork but it was a little tough, he said if he would have cooked it a little longer it wouldnt have been as tough and would have been alot better.
next time it is going in the smoker.

here is a pic of my roomate after he shot it.

Figured my first post on the forum here should include some photos. I took this on Monday. I hit a lot higher than I would have liked and more than likely ruined the back strap but such is life. I was 40 to 50 yards away from where he was bedded down. I think the wind shifted and he decided to get out of town as fast as possible. He made it a step or two before I brought him down.

2012-10-15 18.08.01.jpg

2012-10-15 18.08.31.jpg

2012-10-15 18.08.50.jpg

Figured my first post on the forum here should include some photos. I took this on Monday. I hit a lot higher than I would have liked and more than likely ruined the back strap but such is life. I was 40 to 50 yards away from where he was bedded down. I think the wind shifted and he decided to get out of town as fast as possible. He made it a step or two before I brought him down.

Sweet! Congrats on the nice buck!

Nice one!

Guess ill add a west coast WA buck on here, got mine this morning a whopping 10yd shot to the neck with my muzzleloader...... and a 4.5 mile hike back to the truck :nuts: but got 87lbs of meat out of him.

Guess ill add a west coast WA buck on here, got mine this morning a whopping 10yd shot to the neck with my muzzleloader...... and a 4.5 mile hike back to the truck :nuts: but got 87lbs of meat out of him.

Yikes, 4.5 miles?!! I hope you didn't have to drag/carry him all that way.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top