JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
"Best" is a very subjective opinion and you will never get agreement on which AR...or any other gun for that matter...is truly the best.

However, if you're looking for a "top tier" AR, the three I usually recommend to new AR buyers are Colt, BCM, and Daniel Defense. Colt is the cheapest of the three. And you can certainly pay more for a top tier AR than these three, if you really want to drop some cash.

Daniel Defense is my favorite of the three and note that Colts only come in carbine length gas systems. So if you were looking for a mid-length gas system (a little softer shooting usually), then go with either BCM or DD. However all three of these brands are generally well regarded, are of high quality, and something you can hand down to your son if you take care of them. You also shouldn't have too many problems selling them if you ever need to.

If you're looking for a very solid AR on more of a budget, I usually suggest an M&P Sport II. It isn't top tier but it's a decent AR.

"Best" is a very subjective opinion and you will never get agreement on which AR...or any other gun for that matter...is truly the best.

However, if you're looking for a "top tier" AR, the three I usually recommend to new AR buyers are Colt, BCM, and Daniel Defense. Colt is the cheapest of the three. And you can certainly pay more for a top tier AR than these three, if you really want to drop some cash.

Daniel Defense is my favorite of the three and note that Colts only come in carbine length gas systems. So if you were looking for a mid-length gas system (a little softer shooting usually), then go with either BCM or DD. However all three of these brands are generally well regarded, are of high quality, and something you can hand down to your son if you take care of them. You also shouldn't have too many problems selling them if you ever need to.

If you're looking for a very solid AR on more of a budget, I usually suggest an M&P Sport II. It isn't top tier but it's a decent AR.
Thank you, exactly the type of feedback I was hoping for!

The M&P, Ruger, or Savage are all good MSRs out of the box that are easy to find. If you want local, get those. If you want to build it yourself, go for it!

For most folks...they aren't going to go to battle with it, so a plain old DelTon, Grid Defense, AR-Stoner or Armalite are going to be just fine for the recreational shooter. There's a TON of makers for the entry level without getting into top tier. If you're looking for ONLY 1 (and this is rarely the case) then get the best that you can afford. Otherwise, get in at your comfortable budget point, and buy more ammo! Then sell or upgrade as needed or required for the job at hand.

I stressed about the same thing when looking at buying. After a while, you just want to enjoy it and I don't personally give a rats-A if it's tacticool enough for someone at the range.

The M&P, Ruger, or Savage are all good MSRs out of the box that are easy to find. If you want local, get those. If you want to build it yourself, go for it!

For most folks...they aren't going to go to battle with it, so a plain old DelTon, Grid Defense, AR-Stoner or Armalite are going to be just fine for the recreational shooter. There's a TON of makers for the entry level without getting into top tier. If you're looking for ONLY 1 (and this is rarely the case) then get the best that you can afford. Otherwise, get in at your comfortable budget point, and buy more ammo! Then sell or upgrade as needed or required for the job at hand.

I stressed about the same thing when looking at buying. After a while, you just want to enjoy it and I don't personally give a rats-A if it's tacticool enough for someone at the range.
I want to buy and play, I'm coming in at next to no knowledge and don't really want to trust myself building something that may someday be relied upon to save my and my son's life. Thanks for your recommendations!

Buying them RTR (ready to race) is the easiest. :)

But....after 2-3 videos on YouTube you'll be an expert enough to assemble the lower assembly should you choose to. Some specialty tools are needed for the upper assembly, so most folks just purchase a complete upper assembly and slap it on their lower.

Buying them RTR (ready to race) is the easiest. :)

But....after 2-3 videos on YouTube you'll be an expert enough to assemble the lower assembly should you choose to. Some specialty tools are needed for the upper assembly, so most folks just purchase a complete upper assembly and slap it on their lower.
RTR, thank you, I'll remember that, and yes, for now ready to go is great, once I'm a little more familiar I'm sure I'll get bougie with it haha

Good Luck with your selection process.

It's always a good reminder anytime you're new to a platform....

Practice Safe handing and 10 Commandments of Gun Safety at all times. Read the manual, watch videos, and get some range training. (Or MSR/defensive rifle training)
Always respect the tool and others. Uphold and support 2A-friendly candidates and organizations.
Learn the tool, and have some SAFE fun!!!

Oh...Never shoot up ALL the ammo you bought/brought. Always keep 5-20 rounds handy for the unexpected.

Something like this would work well;

Lots of guys say Knights Armament is the epitome of the Ar platform. I've not shot one, so who knows. I'd like to think that they are in the same class as:

DD
LMT
Geissele
Noveske
Fortis
Radian
Wilson combat
Many others

FN secured our military contract, so they have to be doing something right.

Other mid tier brands are:

Bcm (argued to be best for your money)
S&W
CMMG
RRA
Colt (not a new one)
Bushmaster/windahm
Ruger
Aero
Rainier
Savage
Psa (fn barrels only)

Hard to go wrong will the any of these really.

Lots of guys say Knights Armament is the epitome of the Ar platform. I've not shot one, so who knows. I'd like to think that they are in the same class as:

DD
LMT
Geissele
Noveske
Fortis
Radian
Wilson combat
Many others

FN secured our military contract, so they have to be doing something right.

Other mid tier brands are:

Bcm (argued to be best for your money)
S&W
CMMG
RRA
Colt (not a new one)
Bushmaster/windahm
Ruger
Aero
Rainier
Savage
Psa (fn barrels only)

Hard to go wrong will the any of these really.
Thank you very much, terrific list

Depending on your budget for complete builds (my opinion)

$$$$ Holy Grail:
Knights Armament
LMT
Radian
Noveske

$$$ High Tier Consumer Grade:
Daniel Defense
LWRC
Bravo Company

$$ Great Mid Tier:
Aero Precision
Midwest Industries
CMMG
Colt

$ It's On the Shelf Of Your Local Gun Store:
Smith and Wesson
Palmetto State Armory
Ruger

Honestly though, as long as you don't go bottom of the barrel obscure brands, they will all serve you well. Do I prefer shooting the KAC SR-15 to the M&P Sport? Absolutely. If the M&P Sport was my only AR-15, would I hate it? Absolutely not. The AR Platform is easy to maintain, customize, and shoot. Pick whatever is in your budget/dreams of any brands listed by the members and it will serve you well.

Depending on your budget for complete builds (my opinion)

$$$$ Holy Grail:
Knights Armament
LMT
Radian
Noveske

$$$ High Tier Consumer Grade:
Daniel Defense
LWRC
Bravo Company

$$ Great Mid Tier:
Aero Precision
Midwest Industries
CMMG
Colt

$ It's On the Shelf Of Your Local Gun Store:
Smith and Wesson
Palmetto State Armory
Ruger

Honestly though, as long as you don't go bottom of the barrel obscure brands, they will all serve you well. Do I prefer shooting the KAC SR-15 to the M&P Sport? Absolutely. If the M&P Sport was my only AR-15, would I hate it? Absolutely not. The AR Platform is easy to maintain, customize, and shoot. Pick whatever is in your budget/dreams of any brands listed by the members and it will serve you well.
Thanks very much!

I feel your pain, two words if you ever need to do it again... Clevis pin, grab a 1 1/2"+ one next time you're at the hardware store
Poor man's Clevis pin (1/4" dowel + hand drill):

9B392071-9F37-49CC-9A10-40579EF554FF.jpeg

I say it's hard to find an unreliable new 5.56 AR15 at this point. Figure out what you want it to do and how accurate you need it to be. You might buy within your budget and end up with 3-4 inch rifle at 100 yds then spend hundreds trying to get it to half inch MOA.

Pro tip. A lot of people lie about their accuracy. "I built this AR for $200 and it shoots 1" groups at 1000 yds with Wolf ammo". Getting real figures can be hard.

My only real recommendation would be to buy a complete upper on your first build. It doesn't have to go through an FFL, and it will have been test fired and confirmed functional from the factory.

Chances of your first rifle being frustrating or not performing drop significantly, and if you ever want to change it out, factory built uppers don't lose much value

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top